Thread: Keyhole

User Info Menu

Question Keyhole

Pardon the newbie question... Do keyholes affect a cymbal's sound in any way? If so what can be done to fix it?
    Drums, drums, drums!

5-pc standard 6-ply birch kit
    13x6 Black Panther Maple Snare
    14" Zildjian New Beat HH
    21" Zildjian Sweet Ride
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Crash
    20" 5-star Super Zyn Crash/Ride
    Evans G1 on toms, EC2 on bass
    Evans Genera Dry on Snare
    Pearl Throne, H820w HH Stand, P122-TW DB Pedals
    Gibraltar stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keyhole

I dont think it affects the sound, as far as fixing it goes there are some things called grommets i believe, someone else can tell you about it but many people in here have them

User Info Menu

Cant really repair them but to stop them from growing...be sure to use some sort of protection to eliminate metal on metal contact between cymbal and threaded post. Many...in fact most new cymbal holders have protective plastic sleeves.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 03-25-2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Eventually after it gets big enough it will kind of "hook" around your non-existent cymbal sleeve (sleeves would prevent keyholing), and may affect the movement of the cymbal. Plus, cymbals are round. And their holes should stay round.
    I'm not sure if it will affect the sound of the cymbal, this is an interesting question..

(PART OF THE THREAD REVIVAL PROJECT)
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

true individual cymbal fidelity could only be achieved by an invisible anchoring method. One that suspends the cymbal mid air. Using traditional mounts,cymbal sleeves, and the like will certainly alter its sound. Same goes for wearing out the metal as in keyholing. For what it's worth, anything touching or taking away from the " original masterpiece " will even in the slightest way affect it's vibrations.
    Here's an example : say a small stick is floating ontop of the swimming pool water and the water is as calm as can be. Now start a ripple so you can see the " waves " move from point of beginning toward the floating stick. The waves represent the sound a cymbal makes. As the waves approach the stick their symetry is altered but yet the waves will extend past the stick regardless. Much in the same way your cymbal will make noise no matter how large or deformed the centerhole. Aside from the effects of a player's ability, each cymbal projects it's own character and that is affected by everything from dirt to relative humidity each giving or taking away an audible component.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I have two very old classic cymbals with keyholes. Its sad somebody let them get that way before I bought them. I would say they do not affect the sound in any large or detectable way, BUT you have to mount them with a lean in opposite direction the keyhole, so they do not flip back into the keyhole and wear there. Thus, A little extra care needed. You can insert a grommet, but to me that is then a new piece of metal in there that likely WILL affect the sound and playability.

User Info Menu

Now this is really out there, and may be totally the wrong thing to do but I gotta throw it out and see what happens. Also I've never tried it.

Idea...I wonder if you could use a repair eyelette for like repairing a tarp. They sell those kits with the eyelettes and installation tool. Just and idea, not saying go do it, just wanna hear some feedback from the pro's on DC.

As far as size, the ones for tarps would be to big, but I think I seen some brass kits at a Hobby store. I wouldn't know why they would'nt have something like that. Being I do not own any cymbals with a keyhole.

If you could find an eyelette at the correct size and did install it, would it affect the sound? Would you think it would be able to be durable? What am I not thinking of?

feedback.....please.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Now this is really out there, and may be totally the wrong thing to do but I gotta throw it out and see what happens. Also I've never tried it.

Idea...I wonder if you could use a repair eyelette for like repairing a tarp. They sell those kits with the eyelettes and installation tool. Just and idea, not saying go do it, just wanna hear some feedback from the pro's on DC.

As far as size, the ones for tarps would be to big, but I think I seen some brass kits at a Hobby store. I wouldn't know why they would'nt have something like that. Being I do not own any cymbals with a keyhole.

If you could find an eyelette at the correct size and did install it, would it affect the sound? Would you think it would be able to be durable? What am I not thinking of?

feedback.....please.
    The thickness of the cymbal may be an issue trying to fit it. I might be questioning the durability of the eyelets too. interesting thought though.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post

feedback.....please.
    this is one of the well known repair techniques. it works, but you have to find the exact size eyelettes (or grommet)....not easy to do, but do-able.

User Info Menu

How long roughly does it take for a cymbal to start Key holing?
    I play for God's glory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dweez View Post
    How long roughly does it take for a cymbal to start Key holing?
    If you keep a nylon sleeve over the metal cymbal rod, it won't ever keyhole. The sleeves will wear out and drummers don't always notice it. By that time, keyholing has already started.

User Info Menu

I have keyholing on my xs20 crash, but thats because I havent got
    the time to replace the cymbal sleeve...that is to go down to
    guitar center and buy some.

ThePloughman Guest

You dont need guitar center.

Good heavens man, back in the dark ages, before they invented microwaves and cell phones, before there was evilbay or banjo center,

WE USED TO MAKE THEM OURSELVES!!!!!

rubber tubing, nylon tubing, gaffers tape works in an emergency.

There is no excuse to be keyholing your cymbals.