Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's in YOUR stickbag, Mate?

User Info Menu

Default What's in YOUR stickbag, Mate?

Man, is there ever the "Perfect" pair of sticks? 5A's, 7A's, B's 2B's...looks like a bra convention. Anyway, we all know that sticks come in different sizes and weights and are used for various styles of drumming. I use Callisto plastic tipped Corps model sticks to practice with on my pad (brand name may not be correct). I tend to favor the Vic firth Peter Erskine Ride when I play big band. I use Vater 5A Rock when we play the Rock tunes and I use Erskine 5A or Dennis Chambers Zildjian model to play Bossa Novas and Sambas. In the past year, though, I came across the Vic Firth Bolero model and now use that almost all the time. The wood tip is sized just right for the various styles of music I play and interact with each of my rides as I like. The best feature is that the shaft is thicker and allows me to grip the stick comfortably without dropping it. With my Erskine rides, which I like, I have to tape the butt ends because I tend to drop the RH stick...I use a very light touch on the ride, especially when playing charts at 220-240 beats per minute. When I practice on my kit at home, I use the Vic Firth Buddy Rich model...it's slightly heavier than the others and gives me a good work out. All in all, I can say that I get a good sound from each model and my hands and wrists do not get tired from playing. Brushes may be another story but, I am currently using the Steve Gadd model with the up-swept tips...very good for brush work on the snare. Oh, BTW, I also keep a pair of the Hot Rod sticks in my bag and occasionally use them for Bossa Nova's when I the Chambers model is a bit to loud.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's in YOUR stickbag, Mate?

Frank...I just went out to the shed to see what is in my stick bag, which someone made out of an old pair or blue jeans. I dumped it out on the bench and this is what was in there. 3 pairs of regulars stick...jazz style with small beads and slender shafts. a pair of Vic Firth retractable wire brushes, a pair of Regal nylon brushes, A pair of mallets I made my self from sticks and wine corks and felt cloth (work marvelously by the way), A pair of hard wood claves, 2 drum keys, a pair of pliers and a handful of cymbal felts,

and a bit of lint....LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

cob webs

User Info Menu

LOL drum chick...spiders in a condo high-rise?

all the best...

User Info Menu

I found guitar picks in my stick bag.

Actually, I am torn between 5a's wood tipped and nylon tipped. Right now I haven't found a brand I like better than another.
    "There's a woman in the United States who predicted the plane we were traveling on would crash. Now, a lot of people would like to think we were scared into saying a prayer. What we did actually--we drank."
    - Ringo Starr, 1966

User Info Menu

I have a pack of gum from that is about three years old I found the other day down around all of the other stuff that is unrelated to drumming oh and there is about 5 pairs of 7A Vic firth sticks in varying degrees of ware and some zildjian mallets and a pair of brushes of which manufacturer that I can't remember.

User Info Menu

Looks like I piqued some interest with this thread. I also have a pair of timpani mallets, drum keys, small note book, metronome and a Korg tuner... don't wan't no saxes playing outta tune, don't ya know. I like KG's idea of home made mallets...got lots of wine corks around my place...hic*

User Info Menu

i like to keep pro-marks 5AN's, 5AW's, lighting rods, and old flip flop for special effects.....(just kidding about the flop guys). i actually don't have a pair of brushes right now. looks like i need to make a trip to the local MS.

User Info Menu

i have a pair of 5a ahed sticks 5b nylon tiped vic firth sticks, retractable nylon brushed, a pair of malets, wire brushes, a drum hole cutter, electrical tape, an extra hi hat clutch 4 tuneing keys and a pack of gum
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

OK, I just got my drumstick bag and emptied it out. Here's the count:

1 pair Regal Tip Whiskers nylon brushes (borrowed)
    1 pair Carmine Appice signature sticks
    1 pair Vic Firth 5A nylon tip
    2 pair Vic Firth 5A wood tip
    1 pair Vic Firth 5B wood tip
    1 pair Vic Firth 2B wood tip
    2 pair Pro-Mark 5A wood tip
    1 pair Pro-Mark Hot Rods
    1 pair cymbal mallets
    4 drum keys
    1 Evans Torque Key
    2 packets of cymbal sleeves
    1 packet of tension rod nylon washers
    2 tuning wrenches for the congas and bongos
    1 kick pedal toe stop
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

1 pair Pro-Mark Hot Rods
    1 pair cymbal mallets
    4 drum keys
    1 Evans Torque Key
    1 kick pedal toe stop
    And a partridge in a pear tree!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
    "There's a woman in the United States who predicted the plane we were traveling on would crash. Now, a lot of people would like to think we were scared into saying a prayer. What we did actually--we drank."
    - Ringo Starr, 1966

User Info Menu

I actually thought nearly the same thing! I guess I have so many sticks because I was searching for my stick. I think I am finally settling on the Pro-Mark 5A wood tip, but I'll keep the others in case I change my mind!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spdolphs View Post
    And a partridge in a pear tree!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
    HaHaHa...

User Info Menu

1 pair Pro-Mark Hot Rods
    1 pair cymbal mallets
    4 drum keys
    1 Evans Torque Key
    1 kick pedal toe stop

That is a pretty comprensive inventory there PB, It is almost obsessive compulsive!

User Info Menu

I have a zildjian stick bag.

I got

2 pairs of Vic firth 5a
    2 pairs of pro mark 5b
    1 pair of vic firth 2bn
    2 pairs of zildjian 5b
    3 drum keys
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What's in YOUR stickbag, Mate?

As I posted earlier in the shoutbox, I accidentally dumped my stick bag the other night--so I had to track down the sticks...

an old pair of Pro-Mark 5Bs with the ridges in the sticks (a drumming buddy got them for me in 1989 shortly because I liked his--and unfortunately they're no longer in production...)...

An assortment of 5Bs in varying stages of wear and tear...

A pair of wire brushes dating back to the owner of my first drum set (an old Slingerland set);

a pair of bright-red Hot Rods;

and a pair of Slingerland Louis Bellson edition sticks (given to me by an older drummer friend who told me not to play them because they'd be worth something some day, and this was back about six or seven years ago!)

My stick bag itself is an old Pro-Mark bag I found at a yard sale some years ago...and the guy asked me "do you know what this is?"

And I responded (without missing a beat)--"of course, it's a stick bag! I'm a drummer!"
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

ThePloughman Guest

Three sets of burshes in different weights, a set of mallets, Promark Jazz in wood and nylon, And some American Jazz AJ2 wood tips. A key, and um..... some moon gel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    That is a pretty comprensive inventory there PB, It is almost obsessive compulsive!
    Yeah, I might be charitably called "thorough". Freud has another word for it, and that has been used too! Not OCD though, because I can be a slob at times too!

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS *FIACOVAZ *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT)-FRANK * IN My 3-STICK BAGS ARE JUST STICKS 7A rigal tips
    Vic Firth 7AN & ZILJIAN 7A wood -tips /& SOME STICKS THAT BUDDY RICH
    GAVE ME * &* SOME REGAL tip BRUSHES 6- PAIRS of THEM 4-PAIRS OF ZILJIAN MALLETS**&ONLY ONE PAIR of REGAL tip BRUSHES THAT JOE MERELLO gave ME**& My OWN STICKS THAT I HAND MADE as I am A SCULPTUREIST *CARVED*from HICKORY /OAK/AFRICAN IRON BLACK WOOD/
    ROSE-WOOD,,,&DRUM KEYS /ALLEN WRENCHES /NIDDLE NOSE .& PYLERS..PHILIPS.MICRO SCREW DRIVERS &REGULER SCREW DRIVER**ONE BAG & 1 PAIR OF BONGOS &MINI BONGOS & ALOT OF PERCUSSIVE SMALL
    INSTRUMENTS ARE ALWAYS IN My COCHE(CAR) & ALOT OFDRUM STICKS INFACT EVERY WHERE I GOT My STICKS ARE WITH ME **I love TO JUSt PLAY the STICKS with the STICKS &the TIPS *AND EVERTHING ELSE **
    GRACIAS'

User Info Menu

Here's my list:

-Vic Firth Steve Gadd Signature sticks.
    -Vic Firth/Sound Percussion Standard wood/nylon tip 7A's
    -Ahead Matt "spug" McDonough sticks.
    -Ahead Joey Jordison Sticks
    -Promark? Brushes. (had these for a long time and the label on the sticks has wiped off so I have no clue which company/model they are now )
    -Zildjian DIP Nylon tip Sticks.
    -Metronome
    -Pearl drum dial

That's that :D
    "If Diamonds are a girls best friend, Then Pearls are a drummers best friend! -AC"

User Info Menu

Regal Rock and Regal Jake Hanna drum sticks , Ludwig wire brushes , Hot Rods drum sticks , felt mallets and a handfull of assorted drum keys / wrenches .

User Info Menu

1 pair Pro-Mark Hot Rods
    1 pair cymbal mallets
    4 drum keys
    1 Evans Torque Key
    1 kick pedal toe stop

Oh I see now...............its he who dies with the most toys that wins. .........LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON View Post
    HOLA COMO ESTAS *FIACOVAZ *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT)-FRANK * IN My 3-STICK BAGS ARE JUST STICKS 7A rigal tips
    Vic Firth 7AN & ZILJIAN 7A wood -tips /& SOME STICKS THAT BUDDY RICH
    GAVE ME * &* SOME REGAL tip BRUSHES 6- PAIRS of THEM 4-PAIRS OF ZILJIAN MALLETS**&ONLY ONE PAIR of REGAL tip BRUSHES THAT JOE MERELLO gave ME**& My OWN STICKS THAT I HAND MADE as I am A SCULPTUREIST *CARVED*from HICKORY /OAK/AFRICAN IRON BLACK WOOD/
    ROSE-WOOD,,,&DRUM KEYS /ALLEN WRENCHES /NIDDLE NOSE .& PYLERS..PHILIPS.MICRO SCREW DRIVERS &REGULER SCREW DRIVER**ONE BAG & 1 PAIR OF BONGOS &MINI BONGOS & ALOT OF PERCUSSIVE SMALL
    INSTRUMENTS ARE ALWAYS IN My COCHE(CAR) & ALOT OFDRUM STICKS INFACT EVERY WHERE I GOT My STICKS ARE WITH ME **I love TO JUSt PLAY the STICKS with the STICKS &the TIPS *AND EVERTHING ELSE **
    GRACIAS'
    I am not surprised that you carve your own drum sticks. When I was in high school, centuries ago, I marched in a Drum Corps. We had Rosewood sticks. Those were about $15/pair back then...a lot of money. But, they were well balanced sticks with a fundamental tone that was hard to beat.

User Info Menu

1 pair of david weckel perfect pair (Vic firth) the prints faded and all i know is there good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Oh I see now...............its he who dies with the most toys that wins. .........LOL
    Nah, it just shows a confused mind. I really have had a hard time finding the sticks that felt good to me. At first I just went with what others suggested (hence the Carmine Appice signature sticks), but now I'm making up my own mind. I'm just not completely sure about the perfect feel yet!