Thread: I Took The Plunge

User Info Menu

Default I Took The Plunge

Yep despite my own theory that lessons stifle creativity, I took my first drum lesson last saturday from Barrytron
    Twas good! I'll show the lesson plan if theres any interest.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Took The Plunge

Congrats Mex! Lessons can really help in a lot of ways, but it is the application of the lessons that opens the creativity. Go get 'em man!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Good for you MCOF, I have never had a lesson in my life. There is no one around where I live that knows any more than I do to take lessons from, at leaset that advertises that they teach drums. But I think that it is a valuable thing to do because if nothing else they can help change your perspective on things that you don't realize you are doing incorrectly.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I Took The Plunge

Congrats, mex! As PB says, it's not so much the lesson as applying the lesson! Keep up the good work!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hope you gain alot with that lesson, mate....
    Good for ya....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas MEXICANCOUNCILOFFOOD*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTISTDUMMER(GATO) THATS great now you can Journey
    even DEEPER within this MUY ANTIGUO ESPIRITUAL* ART FORM *GIAN ALOT of KNOWLEDGE in great ways *CONGRATS I hope that you do good with all this
    within time**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Yeah the first thing he started on was strengthening my left hand.

1: Triplets l R L L l R L L l R L L l R L L lRLLRLLl
    I thought this was a bit hard at first but I eventually managed it! I even made a nice little circus beat with these triplets.

2: k this one I had major problems with doubles on everything. Maybe I'm not gripping the stick properly but I just can't imagine myself going that fast and loud using just my fingers without resorting to sloppy buzz like stuff. Any tips on this would be great. This excercise did lead to me putting to rest a major problem of mine, read my other post "There goes my problem".

3:Positioning of kit. It may seem stone age but his advice on kit placement was gold. Something alot of drummers don't usually think of. but its hugely important.

4: Muscles and grip. He basically explained that the more muscles u use the more tired you get and try and use your fingers .(#2). i'd like to straighten this out a bit more though I'm still in the dark as to what correct.

5.Disco Beat: He said it was embarrrassing to practise but hugely important to your co-ordination. All about sensing the hi-hat...

6.Switch hands. play a simple 4/4 but reverse your hands every bar. This was handy. again it strengthened my left arm. and opened the way for developement.

7.Triplets, doubles, paradiddles, double paradiddles, singles,

8.Fills. He gave me one simple fill and I still can't get it right. Floor tom, rack tom, bass drum, snare. I just can't get the bass drum in there at the right time.

9. Blast beats. enough said.

I've since bought an invaluble practice pad. made by some australian guy. its all good!

User Info Menu

cool keep after it Bro
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Sounds like a really good teacher Mex. Obviously, he could assess where you were, and knew what to do to move you forward.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!