Thread: My Band - Caught in the Act

User Info Menu

Default My Band - Caught in the Act

Here's the project I'm currently with.

If you click the Video tab, you can watch the video the newspaper published of us that night.

We were informed the night before the gig that they were coming for the shoot and the interview. Since I already had plans before the gig, I couldn't be there for the interview. Plus...I only need 10 minutes before showtime to warm up.

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2008...b781822110.txt
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Band - Caught in the Act

Quad Cities=?

User Info Menu

Bish it's nice to have ya here Bro. And it's nice they shot the pretty singer in your group and not you !! LOL You have a good band I like the play list ya'll have !
    Last edited by 2slow; 03-29-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks, John!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very cool Bish! You're playing sounds great!

It really made me stop and think. Although I really enjoy doing my own thing, and exploring rhythms, I really should play to music more. It's something your interview points out. In the past, some of the members toured, but now they just want to play locally. It made me realize that playing for my church means that I need to put exploring rhythms secondary to learning to play songs. One big question, though, how do you remember all the different drums parts?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Way to go Bish, I enjoyed reading the article and watching the video. Band sounds good to!

User Info Menu

Wow, guys, thanks!!!!!

Pastor Bob, after this many years everything has always come natural for me on drums which I think made the transition from guitar to drumming so easy. I don't think it's so much exploring rhythms as just listening to the song, learning / figuring out what is being played, trying to copy. Over time, once the basics are able to be played, then exploring outside the box becomes the next natural progression. It's all feel for me. (Hope that made sense)

Thanks, backtodrum!!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Wow, guys, thanks!!!!!

Pastor Bob, after this many years everything has always come natural for me on drums which I think made the transition from guitar to drumming so easy. I don't think it's so much exploring rhythms as just listening to the song, learning / figuring out what is being played, trying to copy. Over time, once the basics are able to be played, then exploring outside the box becomes the next natural progression. It's all feel for me. (Hope that made sense)
    Yeah, it does, and I tend to play by feel myself. I do hear others saying that when you cover another songs, you need to play as close to the orignal track as possible. I assume that it is a lot like learning a guitar part. Once you know it, you know it. I've only been playing for a year, though, and I have learned more and more of the techniques that create the sounds that I hear, so I guess I am just trying to process all the information that I have learned in the past year.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

From what I saw of your jam with your brother you are well on your way. One year???!!!!??? Impressive!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish, that's very kind of you to say. I know I've got a long way to go, but I'm in no particular rush, since I'm 52 years old, and just doing this for my own fun, and for the church. I don't really see giging in my future! LOL

User Info Menu

You guys sound great! I really dig your website.

Question for ya: Do you find that your song list is kind of dictated by the fact that you have a female lead singer? My band has been together for 2 1/2 years now, we play covers from the 60's - present, and we have a female lead. It seems that some of the songs that we would like to do just would'nt be right with a female singing the lyrics (Sister Christian, Cherry Pie, Tush, etc...). Does everyone in your band sing and does someone else step up to the front for those songs that female vocals would'nt be appropriate?

Just curious on what your take on this is...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Re: My Band - Caught in the Act

Bish, glad they focused on your vocalist...she was easy to look at, bro'! Seriously, you guys rocked, and your drums kept 'em rockin'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

1drumbum...thanks for the kind words. To answer the list question, we play what we believe are danceable songs regardless of who sings them. I can and will but for now being the newest member, I'm not doing any vocals.

However, all 3 of the other members are singing lead on certain songs. They have great combo of voices when harmonies matter most.

Bongobro, our vocalist is very cool and down to earth. She is one of the best female vocalists in our area but without the ego. Most of the girls bands in our area tout it and some even use their name as the band name. Ours just uses her voice to make the statement.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I do hear others saying that when you cover another songs, you need to play as close to the orignal track as possible.
    Whoever says that is a bit of a muppet!

So long as you play the groove right and make it easy to identify as to what song you're actually playing, then just go wild on it! Play what you feel in the song, learn the fills if you think they sound cool but don't sweat it if you don't. All the best rock drummers are groove drummers IMO, and a lot of the time the improvisation they do on some tracks is wild; the same goes for anyone, because a lot of grooves have a lot of space for showing off. I think the only songs that you would have to learn 100% without compromise would be like really fast metal songs, but that's not because they're less (or more!) demanding; it's mainly because the groove has little space in comparison to, say, something by Led Zeppelin, so what's being played fits with the song, ya?

Oh and Bish;

Great band! Seems to be fun lovin' party people, and I really like how you say your aim is to get people out of their seats and dance. I like that kind of honesty you've got in that you're not out for their wallets but you're out for their hearts. I don't think that video did you justice though; don't ask me why, I just think it's the way it was reported. Kudos, keep it up!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Whoever says that is a bit of a muppet!

So long as you play the groove right and make it easy to identify as to what song you're actually playing, then just go wild on it! Play what you feel in the song, learn the fills if you think they sound cool but don't sweat it if you don't. All the best rock drummers are groove drummers IMO, and a lot of the time the improvisation they do on some tracks is wild; the same goes for anyone, because a lot of grooves have a lot of space for showing off. I think the only songs that you would have to learn 100% without compromise would be like really fast metal songs, but that's not because they're less (or more!) demanding; it's mainly because the groove has little space in comparison to, say, something by Led Zeppelin, so what's being played fits with the song, ya?

Oh and Bish;

Great band! Seems to be fun lovin' party people, and I really like how you say your aim is to get people out of their seats and dance. I like that kind of honesty you've got in that you're not out for their wallets but you're out for their hearts. I don't think that video did you justice though; don't ask me why, I just think it's the way it was reported. Kudos, keep it up!
    Good points, ETF. Thanks for viewing my project.
    Signature here