Thread: 8x14 Snare

User Info Menu

Default 8x14 Snare

Thing is I wanna buy a new snare with and I've been wondering what people thinks about 8x14 snare drums, materials, # of ply, etc.

Im looking for a some how sweet sound with medium to high volume, nice pitch and lots of body.

A friend of mine recomended me the famous Ludwig Black Beauty (6.5x14) after saying that he has never played anything like it.

So what can you share with me about snares with something cool to offer?

Peace.

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: 8x14 Snare

It seems there is an ever increasing fervor for the 8 x 14 snare drum. You are going to probably be in with one of the custom companies. But, when and if you do go with a small shop custom builder, make sure hes able to produce the drum before you part with the money.

As for 8x14s, ............ I have two.

User Info Menu

I own a Mapex Black Panther all Maple snare and I've found that with a Remo Weatherking Rennaisance drum head you can get any sound you want from it. It's an incredible drum and head combination.

It can warm you inside out or make your eardrums bleed. Tuning is key.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I play on a 14X6 9 ply Gretsch Catalina maple snare, and I absolutely fell in love with the sound the first time I heard it. Of course, you'd have to go with Gretsch's custom line to get an individual snare.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I own a Mapex Black Panther all Maple snare and I've found that with a Remo Weatherking Rennaisance drum head you can get any sound you want from it. It's an incredible drum and head combination.

It can warm you inside out or make your eardrums bleed. Tuning is key.
    HOLA como estas BISH CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) THATS VERY HOT AS I own the MAPEX 61/2"X14" BRONZ MAPEX BLACK PANTHER &THE SAME BUT in MAPLE WITH MY SATURNS * AMAZING HOT TONES & VERY HOT ACTION I love these SNARE DRUMS **I just love the SATURNS **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

I have had several 8" deep snares. Acoustically they are great, they throw back so much sound, but I have always found that getting that sound through a microphone was like climbing everest. When my snare was crisp and singing on stage, out front it changed to a hollow log.

User Info Menu

Pearl's Vinnie Paul Signature Snare is 8 x 14-inch, 100% maple. That's one of my dream snares, along with 2 other 6.5 x 13-inch Pearl snares, the Ultracast (3 mm aluminum) and/or the Joey Jordison (1 mm steel).
    Drums, drums, drums!

5-pc standard 6-ply birch kit
    13x6 Black Panther Maple Snare
    14" Zildjian New Beat HH
    21" Zildjian Sweet Ride
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Crash
    20" 5-star Super Zyn Crash/Ride
    Evans G1 on toms, EC2 on bass
    Evans Genera Dry on Snare
    Pearl Throne, H820w HH Stand, P122-TW DB Pedals
    Gibraltar stands

User Info Menu

My main snare is a 8x14 Gretsch maple (USA). Fat and beefy sound. I maximized the snare response by putting on the 40 strand snares. If you like the fast tight pop sounding snare, this is not the one for you. Think more "militaristic growl" when rudiments are played upon it. Great back beat snare...ala power ballads and such. Another cool feature is the nice tom sound you can get with the snares off. Being a Gretsch, it has die cast hoops and the lightning throw off which are very nice. I would say over-all the 8x14 is a great snare but certainly not the only one you will want to have in your collection. Good to have one good metal snare too!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would like to get one eventually for occasional use. I love the fat sound of them. But my Ludwig 6.5x14 Supraphonic will remain my main snare.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

I wanted a deeper louder snare and looked all over for a good one at a good price. Wound up buying a used Ludwig marching snare 10x14 for $80.00. It sounds GREAT! Big and loud when I need it but still able to play soft. I did have to shop around for a good stand that would go low enough.