Thread: General Question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default General Question.

Has anyone seen a list of beats/grooves associated with actual popular music? ( '50 60' '70's etc. ) My thought was that instead of trying to remember a specifice book page or chart number for a beat sequence,, it would be easier for all including other musicians to say, "Do you know this song,, that's what I'm looking for?" I'm sure some of you have compiled your own short list, is there anything on the Web that could be printed up?

Thanks, Alan G.

User Info Menu

Default Re: General Question.

Sorry I cant help you out on that . Im just now trying to catch up on some of these threads that got posted over the week-end . Welcome to the board , maybe someone else knows of something .

User Info Menu

I don't read music and am self taught. But I have learned basic rock beats and shuffles from playing to music I enjoy on Cd's and live. So much is playing by feel. Listen carefully to the bass player and lock in with him with your bass pedal and most times your snare is on two and four with 1/4 or 1/8ths on the high hat. I wouldn't get too caught up in the beat chart thing to learn. It is great that you read don't get me wrong. I wish that I did; but with that said you can learn pop music by listening critically and following what you hear and soon you will be able to recall and apply different beats and riffs you hear to other songs and it builds from there.

User Info Menu

Oh and welcome to the forum, sorry for not starting my prior post with a welcome.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 03-31-2008 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome and for the reply,,, no question about becoming a better listener,, that I must agree with you on. I have been playing by ear up until now,, just a thought of mine and now that I found this forum,, I thought,, no better place to ask!
    Have a great day!

User Info Menu

Your question is worded quite weirdly @_@
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gelman View Post
    Has anyone seen a list of beats/grooves associated with actual popular music? ( '50 60' '70's etc. ) My thought was that instead of trying to remember a specifice book page or chart number for a beat sequence,, it would be easier for all including other musicians to say, "Do you know this song,, that's what I'm looking for?" I'm sure some of you have compiled your own short list, is there anything on the Web that could be printed up?

Thanks, Alan G.
    Modern Drummer has done some articles in their magazine on beats to top rock songs in the past. Otherwise, I think it would be too laborious a task to try and assemble something on such a large scale... especially because there is only so much need for it. As BacktoDrum said; most guys rely on their ears for learning these tunes. This comes faster with practice.

Welcome to Drum Chat Alan!

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum. sorry i don't have a comment on your question, just wanted to welcome you in.

User Info Menu

If I understand the original questions correctly, you are wondering if there is a website with a list of "typical drum beats" that also lists pop songs that are an example of each beat. Is that correct?
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=koopa;77922]If I understand the original questions correctly, you are wondering if there is a website with a list of "typical drum beats" that also lists pop songs that are an example of each beat. Is that correct?

Yes, that would be the question.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Alan Gelman;78063]
    Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    If I understand the original questions correctly, you are wondering if there is a website with a list of "typical drum beats" that also lists pop songs that are an example of each beat. Is that correct?

Yes, that would be the question.
    Unfortunately I'm not aware of any but I've never searched for any either. If I come across one I'll be sure to post a link!
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors