Thread: Roto tom rack mount

User Info Menu

Default Roto tom rack mount

I picked up a set of Roto toms not too long ago and would like to mount them on my rack system. They are the standard 6", 8", 10" Remo set.

Here is my problem:

The tubing on the stand they came with is C shaped instead of being completely round. All of the rack mounting clamps (i use Gibraltar) that I have found are crimp or hatch style for round tubes. If I put the mounting arm out of the stand into a rack clamp, it will crush the C shaped arm and it will never fit into the stand again.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Are there rack mounts for C shaped tubing? The only thing I can come up with is to use a short cymbal arm mount on the rack and attach the tom mounting bar to that, but I really don't think it could take the weight of all 3 Roto toms.

Any suggestions?
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roto tom rack mount

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    I picked up a set of Roto toms not too long ago and would like to mount them on my rack system. They are the standard 6", 8", 10" Remo set.

Here is my problem:

The tubing on the stand they came with is C shaped instead of being completely round. All of the rack mounting clamps (i use Gibraltar) that I have found are crimp or hatch style for round tubes. If I put the mounting arm out of the stand into a rack clamp, it will crush the C shaped arm and it will never fit into the stand again.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Are there rack mounts for C shaped tubing? The only thing I can come up with is to use a short cymbal arm mount on the rack and attach the tom mounting bar to that, but I really don't think it could take the weight of all 3 Roto toms.

Any suggestions?
    A suggestion 1DrumBum:

I have 6,8 & 10 Remo Roto toms. I bought a Remo tripod stand and mounted them like you can see here. You probably could take the tubing out of the tri-stand and mount it to your rack or you could mount them above some other drums/cymbals to your left, middle or right. I chose to mount them, as you can see here, above my hats. It works great for me.

I use the Gibraltar dbl bass rack system as you can see from my photo on "photobucket."

Just thought it may be of some use to you...

Kona
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

Thanks kona! Unfortunately, that is exactly what I have right now and I really would like to mount them on the rack instead of using the stand.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Hey 1DB, maybe you could get a piece of pipe from your local supply house (Home Depot ) . They come in 10 ft lengths , and cut it to the length you want . Slide the c-channel right into it and then clamp the whole thing to your rack .

User Info Menu

Mine are rack mounted, but I didn't have to deal with the c-channel as you describe.

Where the mount actually goes into the tubing, is it circular there with a roll pin? If it is, look for a chrome tube with the same inside diameter, drill a whole though it and install new tube and a new roll pin.. Pics?

I also carefully aligned the toms so that the weight was kind of equalized and not just "pulling" forward. This would be a non-issue on a square Pearl rack, but sometimes the chrome tubular racks slip.

Pete

User Info Menu

Speaking of roto's, With the remo mount it's straight as to the "c" channel. I was curious if the "c" channel could be had with a slight curve to it. My thinking is, I'd really prefer the roto's to follow the natural tom progression, bit of an oval setup, I use with a trap set. Any thoughts or would I be looking at an out and out custom piece?
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Psychopete - thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had not even thought of pulling the roll pin out of the mount and replacing the tubing connected to it. I did it yesterday and it worked perfectly! Now if I decide to ever put these back on the stand, all I have to do is pull the roll pin out and put the original tubing back in. Your insight is much appreciated!

drumrbychoice, I understand what you are looking for and it sounds like a very good idea, but I have never seen one. It would be very difficult to bend the U-channel the way that it would need to go, but I'm sure it could be done. You might take your idea and present it to Remo. You never know what may happen...
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads