Thread: makeing your own equipment

User Info Menu

Default makeing your own equipment

any one design things for their drums in their spare time? im working on a new pedal for my old set ill gt the design up sometime in the next few weeks...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

nope but thats a good idea
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

no but i design houses all the time

User Info Menu

I heard that a lot of people make instruments in Africa...
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Africans make everything....they have to since they don't have any money..

User Info Menu

THen they import them to america where people spend so much time trying to make money that don't have enough time to make instruments.

User Info Menu

I'm going to be building a trap case for my son's drum hardware. He has a rack system and I don't break it all the way down when he plays out. I haven't seen anything out there that's big enough to fit the bill, and even if there was it would cost $500-600. I'm just going to use 2x2 for the frame and 1/8" plywood for the box and lid, and line it with light commercial carpet or something. Paint it black, add casters and heavy duty handles at each end and call it good. Yeah, it'll weigh a ton, but us roadies are used to it.

User Info Menu

sounds nice...getting the right spring for a pedal is a pain!!!
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    I'm going to be building a trap case for my son's drum hardware. He has a rack system and I don't break it all the way down when he plays out. I haven't seen anything out there that's big enough to fit the bill, and even if there was it would cost $500-600. I'm just going to use 2x2 for the frame and 1/8" plywood for the box and lid, and line it with light commercial carpet or something. Paint it black, add casters and heavy duty handles at each end and call it good. Yeah, it'll weigh a ton, but us roadies are used to it.
    Sounds like it will be very tough...but yes, it will be very heavy ! I use a footlocker with wheels mounted on it...and that breaks my back !!!
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, a foot locker would be great, but it's not big enough. The bulkiest piece is the front cross bar, which is like 48" with a radius. All the tom arms and cymbal stands stay attached, so it takes up a lot of space. I'll only have to lift it as high as my pick-up bed, so it shouldn't be all that bad. I thought about using light weight tube steel for a frame, but my woodworking skills are way better than my welding skills.