Thread: ash drumkits

User Info Menu

Default ash drumkits

how does ash affect the sound of a drum kit, I have never heard an ash kit before? specifically an ash/maple combination. To be even more specific, the AMX series from ddrum
    Last edited by peachyplace; 03-30-2008 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: ash kits

It renders you "SMOKIN"!

Ok, I have no idea.

User Info Menu

From what I have heard (yeah I got to put my sticks on a Gretsch Catalina Ash kit at my local music store), I would compare the ash shells to birch, which makes perfect sense to me because Gretsch discontinued the Catalina Birch series in favor of the Catalina Ash. I would assume, then, that the combination of maple and ash in a shell would give you a nice top end with a warm bottom end, but not as deep as you would get with mahagony. Hope that helps some.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thanks PB, very helpful as always

HBdrummer Guest

I think the ash/maple AMX kits from ddrum is more a "dare to be different" marketing ploy than anything else. I have not heard this hybrid combination but I agree with PB's take on Ash wood's tonal characteristics. -HB

User Info Menu

Is ash not a much softer wood than maple or birch, if so it wood indeed be closer to a mahoghany tone.

User Info Menu

Signa, to my ears, the ash comes closer to the birch sound with a nice balanced tone, rather than a pronounced bottom end tone like the mahagony. That's just what I hear when I play the ash shell. I was just curious when they 1st came out, so I played them a bit at my local music store, where I take lessons, and that was my impression.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

ash is a MUCH harder wood as far as texture is concerned,easier to work with.thats why they make alot furniture out of ash. its tonal qualities can mimic birch,but the texture(wood grain) of ash is stronger and tighter than birch.thats why an ash kit sounds like it has a balanced tone,it projects sound well.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the 411 DF! BTW it's good to see you back!

User Info Menu

Would any of you recommend adding on an ash drum to a birch set and expect good results?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Not that ive really heard one, but i wouldnt imagine ash kits to be as good sound quality as birch, maple ect. If they were, surely they would be used more widely and be more popular among manufacturers. Dont get me wrong, im sure they are good but its just what i would expect.