Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: loose or tight?

User Info Menu

The snare is tight. I've got Aquarian Performance II's on the toms, so tight isn't an option..
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

User Info Menu

Yeah, i have mine tight on top and loose on bottom to. gives tht little edge.

User Info Menu

I like to tune everything on top tight but the bottom heads much tighter.

Everything tight.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say tight as in really tight, I like some give, taut would be a good word - taut on top and looser on the bottom.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

my toms and kick are tune loose...
    i like them when they sound like "bug".
    but i hate my snare...
    waaaaaaaa....!
    Last edited by eligacer; 03-17-2007 at 12:04 AM.
    sonor beater...
    together we stand

User Info Menu

my toms and kick are tune loose...
    i love them when they sounds like "BUG"...
    but i hate my snare...
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    sonor beater...
    together we stand

User Info Menu

well currently, i have the bottom skins really tight and the batters looser.

but i am going to experiment today by loosening the bottom skins and tightening the top more than the bottom.

snare is tight!

User Info Menu

I like to keep the high toms tight, but the fl. tom, i loosen up more. I have them pretty loose but you can stilll hear a sound. if not, you get a better sound playing on cardboard.

User Info Menu

My Snare is relatively tight, on my toms the bottom head is slightly tighter then the top and floor tom i tuned both heads around the same, im still having problems with that dang floor tom :( GRRRRR

User Info Menu

i like my drums as low as possible but still with a good sound, so loose
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

when i hit my tom it makes the snare vibrate, nothings touching it, is that down to tuning or crap snare?
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lita3
    when i hit my tom it makes the snare vibrate, nothings touching it, is that down to tuning or crap snare?

Could be tuning. I had real snare buzz, until I got the drum dial. Now I got a little buzz, that's much more tolerable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by XJ99
    Could be tuning. I had real snare buzz, until I got the drum dial. Now I got a little buzz, that's much more tolerable.
    drum dial?

User Info Menu

drum dial?

http://www.drumdial.com/

It was very useful for me. (new to tuning)

User Info Menu

Your tom and your snare are set to a relative pitch, that is why it is picking up the snares, tune you tom a little lower and it will stop that aweful buzz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Your tom and your snare are set to a relative pitch, that is why it is picking up the snares, tune you tom a little lower and it will stop that aweful buzz.
    hey thanks i'll try that, at the moment iv dropped the snare wire so it doesnt touch the snare , it sound very empty tho, iv also purchased a new snare wire , as i thought i may have been that, anyway il try that , thanks again

User Info Menu

Has any one ever snapped any lugs from going too tight before? Is that even possible.... Or maybe broken their skin or snare from over tightening?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Has any one ever snapped any lugs from going too tight before? Is that even possible.... Or maybe broken their skin or snare from over tightening?
    Nope, not me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    I've never done it but I'm sure it's possible. I've seen shells crack in one or more ply from overtightening. The pressure put on it by lug can put cracks in shells.

User Info Menu

I guess that would be hard on a 20 ply shell (on the reference kit i want)

Since i dont have a kit i just sit back and make analysis's for when i do get one. While the tone comes from the top skin being tightened but resonance from the bottom? Does anyone know the reasoning behind the bottom skin.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I got rid of all the buzz from snare to tom. I bought same new snare cables, blackswamp percussion ORCHESTRAL snares. Thats right, no coils, no beads, basically guitar strings strapped to my snare, and it sounds amazing.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    I got rid of all the buzz from snare to tom. I bought same new snare cables, blackswamp percussion ORCHESTRAL snares. Thats right, no coils, no beads, basically guitar strings strapped to my snare, and it sounds amazing.
    so buying new snare wire helped the buzz? its really annoying and i dont use my toms because of it

User Info Menu

Default Re: loose or tight?

all my drums are tight, I have to tighten them occasionally.if they are loose the floor tom sounds bad

User Info Menu

I love when an old thread gets brought back. I tune my toms low, and my snare is very tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Toms are as low as possible, with still getting a nice tone / note. For the snare - it depends on which one. My Acrolite (aluminum) is medium-high, Black Beauty (brass) is medium, Jazz Festival (wood) is medium-low. Bass drum is just above the lowest it could be. It has a better tone when tuned up slightly.