Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: loose or tight?

User Info Menu

Default Re: loose or tight?

I play mine however they were last time i tried to tune them and got pissed off need to pay someone to come tune the things.. i can't get it right..

User Info Menu

I like it tight ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I like most of my drums tuned loose, though. Apart from my snare, which I have tuned pretty tight.
    Last edited by xweasel; 06-18-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I have tuned all toms like this:
    Every screw with only fingers, so tight I can twist without drum key. Then every single screw with key ½-1 rounds, so it sounds good.. When every single tom is like that tuned, I try them as a tom-set and make some fine-tuning. I start at 16" tom, next 14", next 12", next 10" and finally 8".. Then, at last I try the snare with toms and tune that thing pretty tight comparably to toms..
    Pearl VBL Concord fade (22" bd, 8"-10"-12"-14"-16" tt)
    Pearl JJ1365 Joey Jordison signature snare
    Sabian AAX cymbal setup (14" X-plosion hats, 8" Splash, 14" Crash, 16"-18" Fast Crashes, 18" China, 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride)
    Tama Iron Cobra douple pedal (powerglide) and HH-stand (flexi glide)

User Info Menu

My tom tuning varies by venue and the acoustics of wherever we are playing. But as a general rule, it looks like I'm in the opposite camp here. I tune my reso heads tighter than by batters. I like my toms to sing. The batter heads I typically tune on the low end of where I can get a good consistent tone out of them. And the reso heads are just above that.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Metal-head View Post
    all my drums are tuned very loosely, thats how i can the best sound

i just want to know how you people have your drums tuned
    I found this video to be fairly informative...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9w...=ULyl9wgXSfxew

I use the exact same snare as in this clip. I tune the snare side head to a G above middle C. The batter side is tuned to an E above middle C (my tuning is slightly lower than in the clip).

For my toms, I start with the heads at finger tight. Starting with the bottom head, I tension each rod slowly until the drum starts to "sing". I tune the batter sides the same way but I find the toms sound better with the batter side tuned slightly lower than the resonant (bottom) head like John Bonham did.

The bass drum is tuned to a little over a complete turn above finger tight on the batter side and about a turn and a half on the resonant side.

Good luck to you.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

loose, I play metal so I like my drums sounding deep!

User Info Menu

Toms tight(I need the rebound), kick batter tight(same reason), snare batter..eh, sort of tight/loose- don't like playing on a "table top tight" batter head. It hurts me.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

got this weekend's kit fairly tight to give good distinction between the toms, hi tom adjusted to create minimal snare buzz as is my routine

User Info Menu

Tune em so they sing. What I find sometimes though is what sounds good to me behind the kit sounds very different out front.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Tune em so they sing. What I find sometimes though is what sounds good to me behind the kit sounds very different out front.
    Yup, I sure agree with that. I find that 3 of the kits i play have good tuning ranges, such that they sing at more than 1 tuning...my good ole Stewarts though, really only have 1 sweet spot..

User Info Menu

My tuning depends on the kit, and venue but generally I like to have both top and bottom tuned in the same pitch. On the "fusion" sized toms, I like them to "sing" so heads are a bit tighter than the deeper "rock" sized toms. For the snares, I like them tuned high and the kick, I like it tuned as low as I can get it. Maybe two turns past the wrinkle stage on both sides of the drum head.

As I was setting up this backline of drums in my garage for a photo op, I noticed no consistent range in tuning among the seven acoustic kits in the room (five up front and two in the back) which leads me to believe that each kit was tuned to the venue where ever they were last played.

User Info Menu

Wink Re: loose or tight?

Medium high for Jazz.
    Medium low for everything else.

User Info Menu

Toms loose..floor toms are actually kinda wrinkled. Snare I tune the reso really tight and batter about half as tight. Have to tighten reso every couple of weeks but sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

tune so it sounds right ..depending on the room and feel/tone the performance required

User Info Menu

If we're playing outside, I tend to tune the batters fairly tight and the reso heads to the same pitch. It seems to help them project and cut through the mix. On my indoor kit, I tune the batters to the lowest pitch that really resonates the shell. Then I tune the reso a minor 3rd higher than the batter on the 10" rack toms, a 3rd higher on 12" & 13" toms and a 4th higher than the batter on the 16" floor tom.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham