Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: loose or tight?

User Info Menu

Default loose or tight?

all my drums are tuned very loosely, thats how i can the best sound

i just want to know how you people have your drums tuned
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

all my drums are tuned to 10.5 lbs of pressure...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I tune mine to 5ths or sometimes 4ths when I want a diff sound musically...as far as how tight goes i keep mine pretty tight...but not extremely tight

User Info Menu

My toms are tuned pretty tight on top, but the bottom heads are much looser. That gives me the rebound I like, but the tone the audience likes.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

i`ve got my snare cranked up tight ....but my toms are pretty loose ...the 8 and 10 are quite tight but the rest are loose.!!

dave

User Info Menu

My toms are pretty loose, and my snare is literally as tight as it can go go, and my bass is a liitle cannon. I like it this way because you have huge jumps from bass to snare sort of like bom and ka(lol), whereas if i tuned my snare drum down it would be more like boom and pfff(lol). I also like my snare tight because i loovvvvvvveeeee the ring, like when your just going into the corus and you play 16th nots kakakakakaka.lol

User Info Menu

Default loose or tight

yeah i play with my toms relatively loose and my snare very thight so i can roll on it and so it bounces easier so i can go faster can anyone give me any tips on double bass drumming i have only been doing it for 8 months but i really want to go faster

User Info Menu

start playing easy backbeats using reverse limbs (use ur left foot as bass and left arm as ride- unless ur left handed then do right hand as ride)

and then all you have to do is keep practicing slow and speed it up once it feels natural

if u play with a certain way (heel up or down) try not changin it and stick with that till you are perfect with it...then change it up- this will help build the muscles up to learn what u need to learn and will become more natural through muscle memory

hope this helped...

Good luck!

User Info Menu

i got faster at double bass by playing paradiddles on DB for about a week

User Info Menu

......hahah...dude...you know I love you..but that made no sense whatsoever...playing a paradiddle on DB...

I really dont get it...

User Info Menu

db...Double bass...easy rudiments that varys speed and stroke patterns i figured that was the best way to increase speed

User Info Menu

i know what you ment by DB...but im saying if you put time into anything you are going to get faster...wether u do paradiddle or regular to get the beat you want you are going to get good at it with the DB..so it makes more sense to me to just go at it clean without rudiments

User Info Menu

...i just dont think like that...

User Info Menu

lol..I can live with that

User Info Menu

I tighten my snare most because I want more of a "snap" in it. My tom are all tuned between tight and loose. I've got rings on all my drums except the bass(of course). I don't remember how I tuned my bass, but I've got a pillow setting up against the head.

User Info Menu

My kick drums are loose and boomy with no muffling at all, my snare is tight and my toms are fairly tight. I tune my toms in my own way. It seems there is always one tom on my kits that is hard to tune. On my current kit it's the 12" tom , so that tom determines the pitch of the rest of the toms. Once I get the 12" to where it sounds great I tune the others accordingly. Also the bottom heads are a little tighter then the tops. I currently use Evans G2 coated heads with no muffling on all my toms with Aqurian classic clears on the bottoms.

User Info Menu

everything is tight thats probly why my bottom snare head broke it was too cold outside and it ripped i hate buying new heads already
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

my drums are both i keep my 2nd floor tom loose to get a good boom out of it and keep my hi toms medium and my sanre is like an army sanre very sanpy and quick my bass is in the middle nice and chunky

jarhead Guest

i prefer my snare really tight,but i hate the sound of realy tight toms.i like all my toms to sound kinda low

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    all my drums are tuned to 10.5 lbs of pressure...
    How do you do that? Do you have a meter on your drum key? Just curious...

User Info Menu

Mine are somewhere in the middle. They are tighten enough to give some rebound, but loose enough to still give a good sound.

Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDrummer
    How do you do that? Do you have a meter on your drum key? Just curious...
    There's a cool device that Tama makes, that shows the pressure of your heads.
    Go here and then to Accessories, Tension Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal-head
    Tight snare, to give a really high crack. Looser tom tunings. Batter head of the bass drum tight and the resonant head loose, give it a sound like its triggered when it really isn't. Read about that Bass Tuning in Modern Drummer's interview with Chris Adler, he swears by it, or at least he did on the album "As the Palaces Burn".

Quote Originally Posted by drumina__masta
    can anyone give me any tips on double bass drumming i have only been doing it for 8 months but i really want to go faster
    Work with a metronome and start slow. Build 16ths up to a comfortable level. When you feel comfortable at that tempo, raise it 5 or 10 bpm. To Build endurance as well, practise the same tempo for extended periods of time (song length) e.g. 5 mins. Watch your foot technique too, you can only go so fast with bad technique. Also, as you get faster, you may need to adjust your pedals to give the best response.

I'd save the rudimentary things like paradiddles for developing accuracy and control.

Hope this helped,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Metal-head
    all my drums are tuned very loosely, thats how i can the best sound

i tuned my toms and bass loose... i love it...
    But i have a problem, i don't know what is the best tuned of my snare, i can't get the tune i want... can anyone tell me (loosen or tighten????)..

User Info Menu

when everyone says they tighten their snare as tight at it goes, is that the top and bottom? or only the top or what?
    This is the day...
    where every man is the same;
    No one can escape their.. fate today;
    Money nor power are relavent now;
    We're all the same under the eyes of death!

- Agony's Arrow

Check out my band Agony's Arrow

http://www.myspace.com/agonysarrow

User Info Menu

my snare is tight, and my toms are tight on top and inbetween on the bottom.
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod