Thread: ddrum kit

User Info Menu

Default ddrum kit

i am interested in the ddrum dominion ash kit, is there a difference between ash and maple? help

User Info Menu

Default Re: ddrum kit

Yes they are two differant types of wood.

User Info Menu

they both burn real hot in a wood stove and I think the ash will be warmer, in tone too.

User Info Menu

Rat, my experience in my local music store, which has the Gretsch Catalina Maple, and Ash kits, the maple is the warmer sounding kit, while the ash shell produces a sound much more characteristic of birch. It sounds a bit more balanced with a stronger top end than the characteristic warmth of the maple.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Run from the Dominion series, they don't compare quality and sound wise to other kits in their class.....trust me on this one. I heard a Dominion Maple compared to a Catalina Maple, not even a contest. I was gonna get a Dominion Ash snare, but terrible sound and POOR quality. The bearing edge on it was even cut wrong (uneven) thus effecting the tone and the strainer was not put together properly (parts missing) , talk about quality control. FYI, this is one of many cases. Even GC reps have told me the same thing. Blessings.....

User Info Menu

PB, you have become quite good at describing the differences in shell composition. well done! If i didn't know better I could swear you were describing the difference in fine wines.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 04-02-2008 at 05:34 PM.

User Info Menu

You got a great set of lugs [ears] PB You wanna come tune my yams!!

User Info Menu

BTD, and Rat, coming from you, I take that as quite a compliment. I have learned a lot around here, and articles online, so I have learned how to listen to the drums. That, and I have a really good drum oriented music store (the owner is a drummer, and my teacher), so I get to hear a lot of the new kits. He even has a Tama Warlord kit (but he hasn't discounted it enough yet ).

If I am growing as a drummer, I give much of the credit to my Drum Chat family! Many thanks!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    Run from the Dominion series, they don't compare quality and sound wise to other kits in their class.....trust me on this one.
    I am sorry you feel that way. I have had the complete opposite in results with mine. I'm currently using it for gigging and have since I purchased mine back in September of '07. I think the maple kit rocks. I have remo pinstripes on the batters and the factory supplied reso's.

My sound guy has got them dialed in from what I'm told by spectators. Obviously, I'll never know....

Off topic, drummer perspective....hmmm new thread idea. Look for this topic in the forum near you soon.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Everyone has forgotten the DDrum poor track record on this site.... I would recommend upgrading to the PDP. or anything else that seems ok.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I am sorry you feel that way. I have had the complete opposite in results with mine. I'm currently using it for gigging and have since I purchased mine back in September of '07. I think the maple kit rocks. I have remo pinstripes on the batters and the factory supplied reso's.

My sound guy has got them dialed in from what I'm told by spectators. Obviously, I'll never know....

Off topic, drummer perspective....hmmm new thread idea. Look for this topic in the forum near you soon.
    I would like to believe they're great, I feel their higher end lines are. Their lower lines are just too inconsistent. You may indeed have a great kit, but with the Dominion series it's hit or miss and I don't want to buy a miss. I was considering to buy a Dominion but after looking around I've heard from multiple sales associates at various stores, of this problem. At one store alone I saw TWO kits that had factory bearing edge problems, one on the snare and the other on the bass. I was surprised that the reps would even show me.
    All I know is that those kits will never tune without a fix.
    You shouldn't have to fix a new kit. Also that nice looking nickel plating doesn't last very long either. On a positive note,
    they do look nice. I will say that everyone has a different experience with their drums. I can only speak for mine.
    Blessings.........