Thread: Tama Superstar custom hyperdrives??

HBdrummer Guest

Default Tama Superstar custom hyperdrives??

Any one own one of these?? thoughts?? -HB

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Superstar custom hyperdrives??

Own one of what?

User Info Menu

No, but I played one as a backline kit. It was a nice sounding kit and I was impressed with it for no more than it costs!

User Info Menu

It is late and I didn't notice the hyperdrive, for some reason I only noticed Tama superstar custom. I don't know what a hyerdrive is, when it refers to drums!

User Info Menu

I've played TAMA Superstar before....
    And it sounds really good....

So you have a plan to buy it ?? Then go for it....
    I bet you won't regret it...(But I'm not sure about the price)
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

HBdrummer Guest

I put a deposit on one yesterday...but now..after buying and playing my Gretsch Catalina club jazz...I wonder about what Gretsch has to offer??

User Info Menu

HB, you just bought a Gretch club jazz, and then are purchasing a Tama kit as well? Why the two kits in such a short time? Just curious?

HBdrummer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    HB, you just bought a Gretch club jazz, and then are purchasing a Tama kit as well? Why the two kits in such a short time? Just curious?
    Yeah..Its time for some fresh tubs.. Im taking advantage of many hours of overtime! Need two kits! One to gig and rehearse one to record with!
    So much out there, its hard to make a decision! I'm loving the new Gretschs!
    *edit* prolly gonna cancel the Tama deal and look at some other stuff!

User Info Menu

Wow, strange this should come up. I was thinking of getting this very kit and i still think its my favourite choice. Ive played on it a little and its nice sounding, plus it looks really nice. Im not sure how it will compare to the VBX and VMX visions though.

HBdrummer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Wow, strange this should come up. I was thinking of getting this very kit and i still think its my favourite choice. Ive played on it a little and its nice sounding, plus it looks really nice. Im not sure how it will compare to the VBX and VMX visions though.
    It's a very cool kit! Cast hoops..birch basswood shels.. sounds better than the VBX! IMO.. I have the hyperdrive SS waiting with a deposit on it.. I'm kinda confused as I just got these Catalina club jazz drums that I have converted to a mini rock kit...They sound so good that I am wondering if I am missing something with Gretsch Catalina Ash?? I want to use the Tamas primarily as a recording/big venue set..I wonder how the Gretschs would stack up in that arena?? Darn internet!

HBdrummer Guest

Her's what I'm prolly gonna get...I think?!?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HBdrummer; 04-01-2008 at 08:53 PM.

User Info Menu

i currently own a yamaha,but if "I" were to get a new kit, it would be PEARL (reference)for sure!!! i worked in the drum dept at sam ash for a little while last year,and all the other mainstream kits pale in comparison.dont get me wrong,the gretch renown maple is a hot tamale(virgin bass drum,etc) but pearl wins my vote hands down.ive played on all of the big boys kits(tama,gretch,pearl,yamaha,premier,ludwig,truth ,slingerland,taye,sonor,ddrum,)pacific/dw are blah for real! i wouldn't waste my money on the last two! all the others have good and bad points, but are relatively equal to one another. "to me"(key phrase here) pearl stands alone,in quality,sound,and individuality!

User Info Menu

ah awesome, lol its the same colour as the one i have my eye set on as well. The one in my music shop has a mid tom istead of the second low tom though. It is a cool kit

User Info Menu

What is with the hyperdrive name. Would it be the shallower rack toms. The kit I played on a backline gig had standard size toms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HBdrummer View Post
    It's a very cool kit! Cast hoops..birch basswood shels.. sounds better than the VBX! IMO.. I have the hyperdrive SS waiting with a deposit on it.. I'm kinda confused as I just got these Catalina club jazz drums that I have converted to a mini rock kit...They sound so good that I am wondering if I am missing something with Gretsch Catalina Ash?? I want to use the Tamas primarily as a recording/big venue set..I wonder how the Gretschs would stack up in that arena?? Darn internet!
    check out the gretsch renown series
    one of the best kits in the industry as far as my opinion goes
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!