Thread: Need the full lowdown on Gretsch Cat. Maples and ask kits??

HBdrummer Guest

Default Need the full lowdown on Gretsch Cat. Maples and ask kits??

Alright! PB loves his Catalina maple..How bout ash?? Are these Catalina maples and ashs durable enuff for heavy gigging?? Reviews?? HELP!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need the full lowdown on Gretsch Cat. Maples and ask kits??

Another thing to consider is, buy a 22" bass drum to match your bop kit and save some money and accomplish the same thing?

HBdrummer Guest

I dont believe that I can get a mahogany shell in 18x22" in the natural satin?? I need a second kit. any one??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HBdrummer View Post
    Alright! PB loves his Catalina maple..How bout ash?? Are these Catalina maples and ashs durable enuff for heavy gigging?? Reviews?? HELP!
    [Gretcsh] The entire line up is terrific and the Catalina is no exception. Priced at just under $700 for the shell pack, these beauties will appeal to a much wider audience looking for assurance under a quality name. Overseas production may or may not be an issue but always remember the mantra...you will get what you pay for. Thickness of ply and degree on bearing edges will impact durability as well as shell timbre. If you are able to squeeze out a bit more money, the USA Custom lineup could blow you away. Locally, I've played on both models at a Gretsch dealer. I was impressed with the Catalinas but I was totally smitten with the Customs. Heavy, solid and with a tone that enticed me like the Siren's song did Ulysses. Thicker ply and broader bearing edges support the weight of the shells with die cast hoops and produce a tone that could even tempt a Pastor Bob. So, what to do? Think long and hard about what you are wanting from a drum set that will give you the satisfaction of playing while minimizing any inconvenience in transport. Oh, and if you're wondering...I did ask the dealer if he would consider a trade-in deal we both could live with. His honest answer was that he knows Guitars and not drums...wouldn't know how to deal with Ludwig Classics from the early 60's. I took that as a sign to leave well enough alone.

User Info Menu

personally i think the maples and birch sound great. the ash...not so much. as for "heavy" gigging, that is what you pay for with a high end kit. the catalina will do for light gigging and maybe more, but you will want to protect them well with cases.

HBdrummer Guest

Well...thanks for the insight! I really do appreciate it! I have been on Gretschs website numerous times and kinda wanted a real world opinion on these asian made drums. I guess you could say that I'm looking a the wrong series?? I wondered if it was all that necessary to spend the extra $$$???
    I guess I'll have to look at my Gretsch dealer..let the drums do the talking!
    Thanks again for your insight! -HB

User Info Menu

I have the Catalina Birch in a 6 piece kit that I have used them almost every weekend for better than three years and they still look brand new. They are wonderful sounding drums with superb construction. For this kit I have Nomad fiber cases and they have done the trick. FYI, I just gave the Catalina’s a much deserved rest with the purchase of a new Sonor 3007 maple 6 piece kit. Both the Gretsch and Sonor kits are great. I highly recommend both.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Frank, why on earth trade in your Ludwig classics? Just go ahead and buy the American Gretsch set. You will not be disappointed.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    personally i think the maples and birch sound great. the ash...not so much. as for "heavy" gigging, that is what you pay for with a high end kit. the catalina will do for light gigging and maybe more, but you will want to protect them well with cases.
    I agree with Funky, I've got the Gretsch Birch Catalina, I love the sound, and they are holding up well for me, but I've only had them out of the house a few times. I did buy hard cases for them also. Although the Catalinas do seem pretty sturdy, and if handled with care will last a lifetime, if I was gigging out alot I would probably go with the American made Gretsch Renown Line. They seem to be even sturdier, than the Catalinas, and will withstand a little more abuse. If your going to handle them with kid gloves the Catalinas will do, but I've packed up after Gigs at two in the morning, and things happen, if your going to be doing heavy gigging go up to the next level.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Frank, why on earth trade in your Ludwig classics? Just go ahead and buy the American Gretsch set. You will not be disappointed.

all the best...
    I would if I could but I have neither the space or the money for an additional set of drums.

User Info Menu

You could buy a Gretsch USA Custom Bop Kit (25th Anniversary kit) that list for over 5k for (around 3.8K at certain retailers). Or you could step up a notch and buy a Renown 5 pc with hardware for around $2,000 (have seen them go for under $1,500).

The Gretsch USA Customs are nice drums - expensive ($995 for an 8x10 tom!). I sat behind the Customs and I recently bought a Renown Mahogany shellpack and I could not see or hear a differnece other that my Mahoganys are a little softer sounding. The Cats, Renowns and Customs are made very well and they appear to have a lot of work gone into them to give you a high quality drum. The difference being of course is that the Customs are made in the USA. and the others are made off-shore.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I also have the catalina maples and I will vouch for their awesomeness. I can't play them that well yet but I invited my friend who is a super amazing drummer over and he rocked the house with them.