Thread: help me b quiet!!

User Info Menu

Default help me b quiet!!

i live in a huge house but its 100 years old and there are two apartments in it. i brought my drums here and want to paly but am afraid of te noise, are there any techiques that can help keep noise to a minimum??

User Info Menu

Default Have you tried rods?

You may want to try Cool Rods (Promark), or one of the knockoff brands. Also vater makes a nice selection of rods. Be sure to have around $15-$20 lying around. (try them at the store to see if they'll work for you...that gives you an excuse to bang on the demo drums they have set up because you're doing research)

Give 'em a try,
    Frank

User Info Menu

there are special pads that you can get that lay over your heads and cymbals just for that purpose, i forget what they are called though....just poke around google for a while and i'm sure you'll come across them or just ask your local drum shop

User Info Menu

There's a recent thread about this. Search under "drum sheilds".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    There's a recent thread about this. Search under "drum sheilds".
    I searched under drum shields like you said and it brought me right back to this thread. I am also interested in this if we could reopen this thread I am interested in getting some of these. I think it might be cheaper than building a soundproof room.

User Info Menu

Vic Firth Drum Mutes, I have them.

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/pads&mutes.html

User Info Menu

i really like the cool rods i got a pair for xmas and they work real well in keeping quiet

hopefully i can persuade them to let me play at church now...
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

plus they dont break easily which is a big plus
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Okay I know this is gowing to sound really silly but what are rods? Are you talking drum sticks or are they something else?

User Info Menu

They are like a load of small sick-type things tied together. I cant describe better then that.

User Info Menu

pjp, try this link: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ghlight=sheild

IMO- drum sheilds suck.

User Info Menu

i own a set of pads and they are very good at muting the drums. the rods aren't too good if you ride the crash a lot like i do with my band cause they get chewed up really fast but otherwise i rods are really good and they sound cool

User Info Menu

I also live in an apartment and have a set of quiet sticks and pads.For awhile no one was living in the other apartment so I could bang as loud as I wanted. Now that someone lives there the pads work but it just doesn't feel the same.At least I can get patterns or ideas down.

User Info Menu

Yea Playing with pads,Etc...Is Wayy diffrent than playing Loud.It doesn't feel right,And it's almost annoying atleast in my opinion.My neighbors call the Police when we have Band Practice outside in our Shed,So Usually we have to play inside the House so they can't do anything about it....My parents don't mind,Since my dad plays guitar,Etc....

User Info Menu

pjp, try this link: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ghlight=sheild

IMO- drum sheilds suck.
    Thanks for the thread. That helps a lot.

User Info Menu

I bought those pads from the music store and found they were just too thick. I ended up cutting my own out of that rubber matting that goes on shelves..

It sounds better, and it's much cheaper.

User Info Menu

What a cool idea XJ
    Hey and welcome to the forum!

PS. Could you have picked any brighter of a color matting? Ha!

User Info Menu

Good thinking XJ. Welcome to the forum. There is a great group of people here. Friendly and informative.

I was wondering how your sticks rebound on that. Do they bounce pretty good or does it absorb the rebound?

User Info Menu

Oh, man. Don't anybody throw rotten fruit, but the labeling on the pads is so funny. It's like all our work to debunk the "dumb drummer" myth just went down the drain. XJ, are your hands labeled LEFT-RIGHT too?

Welcome aboard, btw. And don't mind my rediculous sence of humor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDrummer
    Good thinking XJ. Welcome to the forum. There is a great group of people here. Friendly and informative.

I was wondering how your sticks rebound on that. Do they bounce pretty good or does it absorb the rebound?

As for the bounce the pad does absorb some, but not near as much as those pads they sell at music stores. Also, I use a 6x6 pad taped in front of the beater on the bass drum. I use that clear packing tape to hold it on to the head. I found it comes off pretty easy and doesn't leave any glue behind.

Roaddebris, that was pretty funny. Now that you brought it up, I don't know why I labeled them. Maybe I'm turning into my Father? (He's always doing weird stuff like that) LOL

Thanks for the welcome!

User Info Menu

Oh, man. Don't anybody throw rotten fruit, but the labeling on the pads is so funny. It's like all our work to debunk the "dumb drummer" myth just went down the drain. XJ, are your hands labeled LEFT-RIGHT too?

Welcome aboard, btw. And don't mind my rediculous sence of humor.
    At least they are not labeled "This side up".

Here is another good one, "If you can read this, please turn over or get up since you have fallen down and are on the floor"

You did have a good idea XJ

Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromberg
    At least they are not labeled "This side up".

Here is another good one, "If you can read this, please turn over or get up since you have fallen down and are on the floor"

You did have a good idea XJ

Keith

We have a similar saying in the Jeep world: