Thread: roland TMC-6 options

User Info Menu

Default roland TMC-6 options

i need some help from you electric-heads (i'm still just a poser in the e-drumming world). how could i connect the roland TMC-6 to a laptop for triggering midi? i want to use triggers in addition to my accustics but would like to use a laptop as the controler. i currently have sonar 6.2 as my audio software. i believe it supports midi. i'm looking at the TMC-6 but would accept any ideas for a reliable set up that doesn't break the bank. please help

User Info Menu

Default Re: roland TMC-6 options

I would think you could find an adaptor of some sort if not PCMCIA, maybe USB flavors or DV.

I had an old computer with a midi in/out connector card that went into an 8 bit slot in a 386 system. I don't remember the software but it came on a 3.5" floppy. Anyone remember those? (snicker, snicker)

That worked great with my Roland TD-8 midi connectors.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I would think you could find an adaptor of some sort if not PCMCIA, maybe USB flavors or DV.

I had an old computer with a midi in/out connector card that went into an 8 bit slot in a 386 system. I don't remember the software but it came on a 3.5" floppy. Anyone remember those? (snicker, snicker)

That worked great with my Roland TD-8 midi connectors.

would love to find something PCMCIA or firewire.

User Info Menu

Check TIGER DIRECT...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Here's something that might work.

http://www.buyextras.com/2fiie13pcca...FQhqIgodukQSYg
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Signature here

User Info Menu

Signature here

User Info Menu

The problem with midi these days is its getting used less and less for usb and firewire. Im kind of a poseur to this too but from my understanding there are two ways of running it into your computer.

First there is the way you say using midi. This would need the roland brain connected to a midi device that connects to your computer. This could be a simple midi to usb device or an external recording device with midi capabilities running through usb or firewire. Then run it as a midi record into your recording program and running the virtural instrument.

Or

The way i was gonna try and honestly there is a high possibility this WONT work. but! From what i understand trigger pads run off the 1/8" cables *i think thats the size* but you run these into a breakout box. Which is pretty much a box of the same size jacks which run into a serial port, which has its own card in your computer that runs at asio speed. These are then used as signals (as small voltage signals are created off striking the mesh head) Then use a program *drummergog* to process these small signals as the drum beats.

Both of these do need computers with high processor speeds and plenty of ram to make this run without any latency.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters