Thread: foot speed disaster today

User Info Menu

Default foot speed disaster today

ok a little background for those who don't know me yet. i started playing drums at the early age of 3. i played religiously (no pun intended) until the age of 21ish. somewhere around 16 or 17 i went to doubles so my whole life i had played with a single. i don't mean to sound like im bragging, but i was pretty stinking fast with the ol speed king. i went to doubles because hey everybody was doing it. ok back to the story i took my break to do the career thing and started back playing at 31. that was a year and a half ago and i've been working on getting my chops back. last weekend i removed the left pedal from the double to play just the single like i used to which brings us up to today. so i come home knowing that i have about and hour and a half before the family gets home. i settled into my headphones with a favorite cd. my intention is to push myself out there and do a self analysis of the results. the cd is upbeat with really good grooves and i played thru about 6 of the faster songs on it. the results: timing = human metranome: hand speed = surprising solid: feeling the groove = man was i ever feeling it: right foot speed= POO, ! i found out very quickly i had become dependant on the left foot working with the right to do things i used to do easily with the right alone. halfway thru one particular song my right foot began to get tense and dang near froze up so im thinking my technique with the righty has gotten very sloppy and i need someone here to point me in the direction of recovery. they say the first step is to admit you have problem and i think i just did.
    Last edited by cdaug; 04-02-2008 at 10:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: foot speed disaster today

Sounds like you're halfway to solving the problem, man...since you became dependent on the left foot, you'll have to practice playin' the bass with the right foot and focus on the high-hats with the left...like you did when you started drumming...

Not as tough as you thought, bro'...just be patient with yourself and you'll get the speed up again!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

Shazane Guest

Default Re: foot speed disaster today

it's important to practice with each foot individually as well and use only one whenever possible, building up individual speed not only improves your single-playing but increases your double speed and consistency I've found.

It's weird to give advice to someone who's been playing so much longer than I have, I hope I don't sound condescending.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    it's important to practice with each foot individually as well and use only one whenever possible, building up individual speed not only improves your single-playing but increases your double speed and consistency I've found.

It's weird to give advice to someone who's been playing so much longer than I have, I hope I don't sound condescending.
    not at all shazane, thats why i posted the question. to elaborate i noticed that im playing on my toes. not sure if i used to do this or not but when i increase the speed im ending up on my toes? could this be part of my problem?

User Info Menu

its not a disaster is a bump in the road, you know what you gotta do already dude cos you been playing so long, practise single again and build back the muscle memory , wont take ya that long just keep at it everyday.
    put on a few zep songs and play along may I suggest good times bad times to start.thats a nice little right foot ditty.

User Info Menu

It's like riding a bike Cdaug, you'll get there in no time, Just play the way you always have and however you are comfortable and you'll come around. Like Rat said you need to rebuild your muscle memory is all.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    not at all shazane, thats why i posted the question. to elaborate i noticed that im playing on my toes. not sure if i used to do this or not but when i increase the speed im ending up on my toes? could this be part of my problem?
    Generally playing heel-up like that allows more speed, you probably do it subconsciously because that makes you speed up.