Thread: Tone Color vs. Rhythm

User Info Menu

Default Tone Color vs. Rhythm

I just wanted to throw a question out there. I'm sure it will vary from genre to genre/person to person, BUT...

What is more important when playing percussion/kit with a group, TONE COLOR (coloring/shaping the overall sound/texture of the group), or RHYTHM (keeping a beat/driving the beat). What do you think? and why?

User Info Menu

a homogenous mix of both...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Rythm. Try playing with awesome feel & tone in fast 3/4 while everyone else is at a slow 4/4. You'll get some really weird looks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    a homogenous mix of both...
    Right on. It's balancing the best of both worlds. It's blending the two together, that becomes a magical moment behind the kit.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Very true. I've heard guys that had a great sound but could'nt keep a rhythm and i've heard guys that have perfect rhythm with no color. The later just sound like drum machines and the first I don't even want to listen to. It takes a long time to master putting both together. I think Bongobro will agree with me when I say that playing hand drums helped me learn how to color my sound on a trap kit very quickly. It just comes naturally after years of making 1 drum make 15+ sounds and tones.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i would agree with that....my tone and color really took off once i got a set of congas

User Info Menu

hmmm well I would say both...but if i had to pick one..it would have to be rythem...I feel the peice would still work with a fine backbone (back beat)

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Tone Color vs. Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    Very true. I've heard guys that had a great sound but could'nt keep a rhythm and i've heard guys that have perfect rhythm with no color. The later just sound like drum machines and the first I don't even want to listen to. It takes a long time to master putting both together. I think Bongobro will agree with me when I say that playing hand drums helped me learn how to color my sound on a trap kit very quickly. It just comes naturally after years of making 1 drum make 15+ sounds and tones.
    You got that right, 'bro!

I think that's why I prefer playing hand drums to set...to me, it's cool when I can play a beat that not only drives the tune, but fits in with the bass, guitars and keyboards. I recently added a third conga to my church set-up--one with a deep sound with real cojones to it--and it's given my playing more "bottom" to it while enabling me to match my playing to the chords to the keyboard man and/or guitars.

While you can do different things with sticks on a set, nothing--I mean nothing--sounds cooler than putting skin to skin (hands to hand drums) and turning three congas and a pair of bongos into a roomful of drum sounds...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Wow, tough question.... I would have to say that the pythm matters more(If I had to choose), but tone quality is very important too.. Very good question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0
    Wow, tough question.... I would have to say that the pythm matters more
    Pythm?

User Info Menu

yea...im leaning towards rythm just because other instruments can set it up
    i guess it depends on circumstances