Thread: Instructional DVD's

User Info Menu

Default Instructional DVD's

Just wondering how many of you utilize some of the instructional Drum DVDS that are available these days?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Instructional DVD's

I've been using instructional dvds for years. I cut my teeth on the old Steve Gadd videos of the 80's. ... Showin' my age here.

User Info Menu

Before my teacher I started with Tommy Igoe's Getting started on drums. It's a great dvd for starters, teaches you everything you need to know to get started like setting up, tuning, what do you call this drum and that one, do's and dont's and the basic grooves. I also have Flo Mounier's extreme metal drumming 101. He teaches the basic excercise for endurance and speed needed for extreme metal playing.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Before my teacher I started with Tommy Igoe's Getting started on drums. It's a great dvd for starters, teaches you everything you need to know to get started like setting up, tuning, what do you call this drum and that one, do's and dont's and the basic grooves. I also have Flo Mounier's extreme metal drumming 101. He teaches the basic excercise for endurance and speed needed for extreme metal playing.
    I have Tommy Igoe's "Groove Essentials" and have learned quite a bit from it. Though I've been playing drums for a long time, I have not been well versed in World Drumming. I could play the basic Latin beats but that was about all. I don't know that I'll play Songo and Mozambique patterns with a band but it is fun to learn them. I also have Steve smith's Drum Set Technique/History of the U.S. Beat and Moeller Technique featuring Michael Michalkow. I pick up something new every time I watch these vids and have seen my own playing improve.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I've been using instructional dvds for years. I cut my teeth on the old Steve Gadd videos of the 80's. ... Showin' my age here.
    Me too drummer That was a great tape for its time, I have also done the weckle studies next step, back to basics , contempory drummer plus one etc, and I am presently studying conversations in clave by el negro.always learning, well trying to at least.

User Info Menu

I have a Stanton Moore DVD titled " A Modern Guide To New Orleans Drumming ' .

Its pretty good for anyone interested in New Orleans grooves .

User Info Menu

As an absolute beginner, I would like to get my hands on anything that can help me. My first lesson is tomorrow and I want to utilize a teacher so I can learn correctly and not develop any bad habits. I also don't want to limit myself either as well as not going overboard either.

Should I look at using Instructional DVD's as well? If yes which do any of you recommend for an absolute beginner?
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

let your teacher guide you for a couple of months,before you do anything. keep us posted on your progress.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    As an absolute beginner, I would like to get my hands on anything that can help me. My first lesson is tomorrow and I want to utilize a teacher so I can learn correctly and not develop any bad habits. I also don't want to limit myself either as well as not going overboard either.

Should I look at using Instructional DVD's as well? If yes which do any of you recommend for an absolute beginner?
    Every journey must begin with the first step. Begin with the teacher and learn the basics. Once you demonstrate an understanding of your lessons, your Teacher will probably guide you towards specifics DVD's that will have the most positive and immediate affects for you. Enjoy!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    let your teacher guide you for a couple of months,before you do anything. keep us posted on your progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Every journey must begin with the first step. Begin with the teacher and learn the basics. Once you demonstrate an understanding of your lessons, your Teacher will probably guide you towards specifics DVD's that will have the most positive and immediate affects for you. Enjoy!!
    I agree with you both, Rat and Frank. I got with a teacher fairly early on, because I realized that I needed someone to hold me accountable for practicing. It was too easy to be tired at the end of a work day, and not sit down and practice. I really can't imagine doing a DVD when I was starting to work with my teacher. He has been guiding my progress so far (I'm looking forward to getting started again now that I am finally getting over the nasty little virus that I've had), and I know that I wouldn't be doing him any justice if I was half working on his lessons, and half working on something that I saw in a DVD.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I agree with you both, Rat and Frank. I got with a teacher fairly early on, because I realized that I needed someone to hold me accountable for practicing. It was too easy to be tired at the end of a work day, and not sit down and practice. I really can't imagine doing a DVD when I was starting to work with my teacher. He has been guiding my progress so far (I'm looking forward to getting started again now that I am finally getting over the nasty little virus that I've had), and I know that I wouldn't be doing him any justice if I was half working on his lessons, and half working on something that I saw in a DVD.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS PASTOR_BOB CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) THATS A VERY COOL& A VERY WISE ACTION*FANTASTIC
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Hi,

A great DVD for learning correct hand technique is Jo Jo Mayer's 'Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer'.

I was looking for a DVD course myself but didn't find anything really suitable until I checked out the Legacy Learning Guitar Tuition site. I've seen the guitar course that they sell and it is superb. This summer they are releasing a new course on the drums and when it comes out I will definitely buy it.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Great thread for me to get information from. And thanks for the advice everyone. I plan on being here if not posting certainly reading and soaking up knowledge like a sponge. I will certainly let people know my progress and hopefuly as I progress, my question will reflect my current level.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush