Thread: Fitting heads

User Info Menu

Default Fitting heads

Hey guys i have a problem. I got new remo pinstripe heads as recommended to me on here. Ive fitted the 12",1" and 14" free snare head which came with the pack. However The 16" tom head does not fit! Its strange, my drum seems ever so slightly bigger (litterally milimetres) and the head doesnt fit on. My kit is quite old, i saw a bass drum of the same kit being sold on ebay and they guy said it was60's, 70's. Could it be the standard size has chaged or something? I thought also the problem might lie with just my floor tom. Thanks for reading and help would be appreciated

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fitting heads

The heads sound awesome btw! I also got new tuning rods as the ones i had had screw tops.

User Info Menu

I ran into that problem with Aquarians on a set of add-on 8" and 10" rack toms. The heads just barely forcebly resistingly went over the wrap but there was no good room for adjustment or tuning. They were useless.

They did however work on another set of toms I had so I'm not sure what that deal was all about but now you having the same issue. Only with different drums and heads. Bizarre.

Parallel to that story, the shells ended up with Remo Pinstripes and that is what I'm using at rehearsal. I'd say, see if you can get the head swapped out for another.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sounds like your shell is slightly too big, which was common on older drums, especially less expensive models because shell making equipment was not as precise then as now. What head did you take off of it? lay that head on its top on a table and compare your new head to it. If the new heads hoop is smaller than the old one take it back with the old head and see if you can match hoops at the store to the old head. It is possible that you got a bad hoop and it is just a smidge too small. There is not a lot you can do to tighten the diameter of your shell so you will have to solve the problem with heads. If it came down to it that you simply cannot find a head to fit, you could consider having a double bearing edge cut which would mean cutting an edge on the inner and outer edge of the shell to allow the head to fit. Cutting a double edge would move the bearing edge inward slightly and the head would probably fit then. If it is an older drum it may have a double round over edge anyway now but you could increase the degree for the edge and make it sharper and maybe still accomplish what I am suggesting. just some thoughts to think about. Post and let us know how you solved the problem.

User Info Menu

I have Pinstripes on my old Ludwigs...including my 16" and 18" floor toms. My kit, though, is the Ludwig Classics and that was very well made. From what you said, could be that the bearing edge on your tom is no longer "True." I have changed drum heads periodically over many years and have never come across a drum head that wouldn't fit so I don't think there is an issue with sizes being different. If it is a Ludwig tom that you have, you might want to try a WeatherMaster drum head that Ludwig uses...just be sure that it's comparable to the Pinstripe. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    The heads sound awesome btw! I also got new tuning rods as the ones i had had screw tops.
    screw tops, are they older Sonor Drums?

User Info Menu

Its an old premier kit and i think at the time it was probably very low end.Also i got the heads on ebay so no chance of returning them. It is quite strange how the other heads are fine. I think il try and find a new head but keep the pinstripe for whe i get a new set. The old head is very old, it looks kinda green lol. I think it says "everplay" on it. Back2drum, The remo head is ever so slightly smaller, i think it is actually the rim on the head which means it doesnt fit.

User Info Menu

Then I would just try to replace it and take your old head and compare before you buy a new one. Really all you are out is about $13.00 so biggy really.

User Info Menu

Bingo...I thought it must be Premier when you said screw type tension rods. The sizing on older english drums was different. I've run across that before. Tight fit with the USA Remo heads. If you can, try to track down a Premier head.

all the best...

User Info Menu

definately premier, that everplay was made by remo for premier, used to visit the factory quite some years back. where are you located?

User Info Menu

suffolk, england. Thanks for the help guys, i thought it must have been a different size or something. does seem strange how its only 1 drum though. Il probably look around for a head that fits.

User Info Menu

Call Remo and see if they can help with your problem, I have read now more than once that drums manufactured in England can sometimes be sized somewhat differently. I am sure that the head manufacturers have compensated for this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Call Remo and see if they can help with your problem, I have read now more than once that drums manufactured in England can sometimes be sized somewhat differently. I am sure that the head manufacturers have compensated for this.
    Now that is something that would never occur to me. In the Sates we have SAE measurement while Europe has metric but, does that really apply to drums? I mean, with the universality of the instrument I would think that sizes would have to be standardized.