Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a New Ride!!

User Info Menu

Default Got a New Ride!!

Well, at least it's new to me. I've been putting my sticks on cymbals for a while now, trying to decide what sounds I like the best, and which cymbals compliment each other. I have an eclectic taste, so I didn't want to just go with cymbals of all one series. I am slowly replacing my original ZBT series cymbals (saving them for my son's kit), and I have a 16" Zildjian A Custom, and an 18" Zildjian K Crash/Ride. Last night, I was knocking around one of my local music stores when I saw a used 20" Sabian XS20 Rock Ride for $99, a used 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride for $179, and a 20" Wuhan Rock Ride for $100. When I first heard the Sabian, I thought I finally had found my cymbal, because I really liked the tone (and the price), so I asked them to put a hold on it for me. I really wanted to get my cymbals and check the balance of all the tones.

I went back with my cymbals tonight, and set mine on the display with the Sabian, and as I played them, I could hear that there was just something not quite right. I played a $289 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride that was just above the Sabian, and it wasn't quite right either, I even tried the Wuhan, and that wasn't even close! I went to another part of the display and got the $179 Zildjian A and it sounded perfect with the Zildjian K and A Custom. It was perfect in between tone! I checked it against the other Zildjian A, and the tones were definitely different! So tonight, I now have a 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride on my kit.

Oh, and I stopped by the owner's office to say hi before I left, and he told me that someone had traded in a Pearl Export tom (turned out to be a 13X12) and he would let me have it for free, if I wanted it. Since my ddrum D2 kit that I am saving for my son has a 10X8, 12X9, and 16X14, I thought with a rewarap job, the 13X12 might fit nicely as a stand mounted drum between the rack and floor for him. I'm curious what you guys think?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got a New Ride!!

D'oh! I thought you bought a Harley.

User Info Menu

Good one!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Congrats for the new Ride PB....
    A Zildjian....It should be satisfying you very much....

And well...
    You got Pearl Export's Tom for free ?? Cool.....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

congrad whith your ride (good choice)

enjoy playing it now

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Cool choice, PB. That sure is a deal getting that tom for free and judging by the sizes of the ddrum, that'll be an awesome add on.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Congrats on finding a ride that you really like, and that fits with your other cymbals. The free tom was a nice benifit too. My nephew is playing on a missmatched set now (made up from odds and ends his dad and I could find used), and he's progressing really well and the set doesn't sound bad. Adding the Pearl tom to your DDrum set should work out just fine.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

thats awesome pb, i would take the tom, even if you dont like it what have you lost? and we need to see some vids of the new ride!

User Info Menu

It's funny, the music store owner said that if I wanted to I could take off one of the heads and use it for a candy dish in my office! He's just a really nice guy, and he thought I might be able to use it somehow. I just have to found out how I can mount it on a stand now. It's got the ISS (Integrated Suspension System) mounting, and I'm only familiar with the Gretsch mounting system.

As to the video of the new ride, I'll get to that soon CC. I've just been real sick with that lousy flu for the past month (what with visiting the sick, and shaking hands with everyone each Sunday, I never stood a chance of staying well).

User Info Menu

Kool PB I use a 20" ping ride A custom
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

After a bit of polishing (I have some more to do. It only looks about half done), I just had to play it last night, and at first I thought I had made a mistake - like maybe it sounded different at the store than it did when I got it home. Thinking about it some more this morning though, I realized that I had gotten used to the sound projection of the ZBT ride, and this ride projects so much more! The tone just really rings out, and I'm going to have to get used to that.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new toy PB , next time you are in the market for new cymbals check out www.zildjian.com there are links to test the sounds of the types of cymbal you are looking for .

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, I've spent a lot of time there already! By putting my sticks on the cymbals, though, I've found that each cymbal is slightly different, so now I understand why it's best to take your cymbals to the store where you're buying a new one.

User Info Menu

PB, congratulations on your purchase and freebie tom. You are thinking right in your decision to not make your mind up that you have made a mistake on the ride. Give it a couple of days to get used to the difference in tone that you are used to. If it continues to bother you after a week or so then rethink maybe returning it.

The tom should be an easy fix, just buy a pearl tom arm and a Gibraltar or any other manufactureres double sided clamp and put one side on a cymbal stand and the tom arm in the other and you should be all set.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Got a New Ride!!

Im Thinkin F R E E Drum Sez It All....go For It!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

You're really building up a nice little cymbal set up Bob! Congrats on the new purchase.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    PB, congratulations on your purchase and freebie tom. You are thinking right in your decision to not make your mind up that you have made a mistake on the ride. Give it a couple of days to get used to the difference in tone that you are used to. If it continues to bother you after a week or so then rethink maybe returning it.

The tom should be an easy fix, just buy a pearl tom arm and a Gibraltar or any other manufactureres double sided clamp and put one side on a cymbal stand and the tom arm in the other and you should be all set.
    BTD, I'm sure Ill get used to it. It sounded so right in the store. I'm sure it's just that I'm just not used to that much sound coming from my ride. I mean, when I'm playing a nice easy ride (light touch for good dynamic change) it sounds to me like when I was playing a normal dynamic on the ZBT. It's just going to take some getting used to it. And thanks for the thought on mounting the tom. That sounds really good. Now I just have to see it I can find a wrap that will match. I've got time though, because Rick will re-deploy at the end of the year, so he doesn't really need a drum kit right now. It's kind of hard to get it into the duffle bag!

And PHROGGE, you're right. Free said it all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    You're really building up a nice little cymbal set up Bob! Congrats on the new purchase.
    Yeah, it's getting there JL. I just keep looking for good used deals when it comes to the cymbals. I do really want the 18" Zildjian A Custom Fast Crash though, and I am sure to have to pay full price on that one!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Got a New Ride!!

PB, you're gettin' to be a good a trader as 2slow!

Can't wait to hear your new ride! Congrats, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

BB, my problem is that I'm not trading anything. It's all just costing me money! I am finding some pretty good used deals though.

I have to say that I think I'm starting to get the hang of the ride. If I play closer to the edge, it compliments the 18" Zildjian K crash/ride, and if I play the bow of the ride, it compliments the 16" Zildjian A Custom a bit more. It's still loud, but I'll get there on that. I understand that the projection would be great in a live setting, and yet it can seem a bit much in my living room.

HBdrummer Guest

Hey PB..Great cymbal! I have owned played and loved Avedis med. rides..Not to "wet" not too dry...just ahhhhh~
    On the 13" Pearl tom..I say yeah..for free..and a possible rewrap..why not?
    I personally don't care too much for 13" toms. I find that size to be too small to get a good growl out of..and to big to tune up higher...Just my opinion..but..heck yeah for free??The price is RIGHT! Keep in mind that any Pearl shell made before the early00's is prolly mahogany..post '01-'02 your looking at poplar shells..your ddrum kit is (i believe) basswood?? eh.. who cares..I say go for it!

User Info Menu

Congrats PB! An A custom eh? I thought you were a K guy!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I like different sounds in my cymbals Andreeew. I've got the 18" Zildjian K Crash/Ride, the 16" Zildjian A Custom Crash, a 12" Wuhan splash, and an 18" Wuhan China. I'm just looking to replace the rest of the ZBT's and fill with compatible sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I like different sounds in my cymbals Andreeew. I've got the 18" Zildjian K Crash/Ride, the 16" Zildjian A Custom Crash, a 12" Wuhan splash, and an 18" Wuhan China. I'm just looking to replace the rest of the ZBT's and fill with compatible sounds.
    Yeah thats the right attitude just messing with ya a little
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

My bad! I guess my mood just wasn't right to catch it Andreeew. I'm still trying to get used to the projection of the new ride. It still feels a bit weird to me.