Thread: Better to Learn on?

User Info Menu

Question Better to Learn on?

Is it better to learn on acoustic or an electric? Keeping the following in mind, noise will be an issue. I don't live in an apartment but a house. I have to be considerate of my neighbors. One more ?; Is there a way to dampen the noise on an acoustic?
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Default Re: Better to Learn on?

You can always use drum mutes on the acoustic for sound dampening when you practice, but then you will loose the feel of the drum heads. On the other hand, you would still have an acoustic kit for playing out. If you get a higher end e-kit, you could get mesh heads on the kit that would give you nice feel with the ability to control the volume.

It all depends on what you want. I suggest going to a local music store and trying out acoustic and e-kits, if you can.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks Pastor Bob good advice. I am heading down to a music store today. Will report my opinions and feelings.

User Info Menu

I'd say an acoustic all the way. Good electric kits that are worth the while cost too much in the first place, especially since after you learn a good bit, you'll eventually find a passion for the richness of acoustic drums and what you can't get out of electric. If you have a basement or something of the sort, mute pads will be fine for now. Once you up your selection as in number of cymbals or drums with higher qualities, you won't want those mutes, trust me... That's the only reason I would agree with an electric set.
    Another suggestion though, you could do like some and buy a cheapo E-Kit with good quality and learn your fair share on it, then in the meantime save up for a good acoustic and use it for gigging and what have you. It's always a hard decision for first time drummers, but you'll find your solution.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I went to two different local music stores and played some different drum kits. I played acoustic ones and electronic ones. I really liked many of the sets I played. I now understand the wisdom in the words of Pastor Bob as he told me to possibly get one kit in each. I realized not all drums sound the same but yet they still sound like drums none the less.

I was able to recognize the following things:
    I’ve got an awful lot to learn and my coordination to do more than one stick at a time really needs work. Secondly both stores had brand and non brand name drums on both the acoustic side and electronic side. I found the brand name drums to feel better and sound better as well. On the electronic side, the sound was a big difference between the brand and non brand names. Staying with the electronic side, I really liked the Roland sound. I preferred the sound over the Yamaha’s. I could really see myself playing one of these as I got better. With the acoustic drums I could really understand how someone may prefer Pearl over Tama or the other way around. It is really in the ear of the player. The only huge thing I noticed on the acoustic side was the quality of the symbols. The cheap ones sounded really bad to me and the Zildjian’s and other brand name I played(can’t think of the name) sounded much better to me. Since I don’t have enough knowledge to really understand the sonic differences between them, feel became very important for me.

After a few hours experience I formed a game plan. I need to keep the noise down for the sake of the neighbors. I also have to look at the cost aspect of the whole situation as this could easily get out of hand especially when I know so little about the drums at this point. I decided that ultimately I would like to have an acoustic and electric set. The electric sets are very pricey and so I will get one down the road and right now the Roland TD9SX looks like a real possibility as it seems to be nice medium for a nice set that won’t break the bank. I decided to pick a decent acoustic set that can help me while I learn. I found a set I really liked and the price worked as well. I loved the feel and it came with decent cymbals. (most sets don’t come with cymbals, what the hell is that all about) The kit/set I liked was Ludwig Accent CS Drum Set with Zildjian Cymbals. It was a good price, I liked the feel and the fact it came with cymbals at a decent price was good for me.

I also had my first lesson yesterday and while I learned a lot, I realized I don’t know much. The good thing is I can only go up from here. Ok so your comments. Anything you would suggest different? Anything I did wrong?
    Last edited by silverdragonsound; 04-05-2008 at 06:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Doesn't sound like you did a single thing wrong to me, man. Your purchase process was very well thought out and sounds like it did some good with your overall decision. Your conclusion was great, that Ludwig is a good kit and it sounds like you got a deal with the Zildjians. To answer your question about the sets not coming with cymbals... Most beginner or used sets will come in bulk with cymbals and hardware, but once drummers become more experienced and precise with what sounds they prefer over others, it wouldn't make sense to sell a high end kit with whatever cymbals or hardware the manufacturer found fit. Keep with lessons, man. They may get tough but in the long run you will most definitely prosper from them unlike some of us who have never gotten lessons.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

32ndHeartBeat,

Thanks so much for your comments and encouraging words. I do intend to stay with the lessons as I feel a teacher will keep me honest and point out any bad habits I develop. I also like the guidance and suggestions that a teacher can give me by observing me and hearing me play. But I will tell you while I had a blast playing today on all the different kits, I stunk the place up. When I stopped playing I think people were because I was leaving.

Still we all have to start somewhere and like I said I can only get better with lots of practice which is what I intend to do.

User Info Menu

"Music is not a race, enjoy it at your own pace" - Tommy Igoe.

thats the best thing I can give you since I'm also a newbie drummer
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Congrats on the game plan SDS! Sounds like you'll do well!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

pearl also makes mesh heads for acoustic drums and they are cheaper than regular heads.you can use them.no sound,real feel!
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

now you can post some pics. ASAP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum fusion View Post
    pearl also makes mesh heads for acoustic drums and they are cheaper than regular heads.you can use them.no sound,real feel!
    Thanks this is good to know. I will be looking into these in the next few days. I originally want them while I'm learning because while the drums are loud, no one wants to hear someone who can't stay on beat. The cringes I created yesterday would seem to confirm this.

User Info Menu

Hey, a lot of us have been there and done that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    Thanks this is good to know. I will be looking into these in the next few days. I originally want them while I'm learning because while the drums are loud, no one wants to hear someone who can't stay on beat. The cringes I created yesterday would seem to confirm this.
    hehehehehehe, that reminds me of my mums face when I first starting, everytime she came in the my practise room she looks like she was chewing on a lemon.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Better to Learn on?

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    32ndHeartBeat,

Thanks so much for your comments and encouraging words. I do intend to stay with the lessons as I feel a teacher will keep me honest and point out any bad habits I develop. I also like the guidance and suggestions that a teacher can give me by observing me and hearing me play. But I will tell you while I had a blast playing today on all the different kits, I stunk the place up. When I stopped playing I think people were because I was leaving.

Still we all have to start somewhere and like I said I can only get better with lots of practice which is what I intend to do.
    Hey, SDS, we've all been there and done that...you're headed in the right direction between your teacher's observations and your own discipline...everyone of us has stunk up the place on the drums at least once, but with practice, the fragrance will be more like Febreze then "eau de skunk!"
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck