Thread: Question about Yamaha kit

User Info Menu

Default Question about Yamaha kit

Hey everyone, I went to my local music store and found a new Yamaha oak custom 7 piece, including all top end yamaha hardware(enough for 5 cymbals, hi hat, tom mounts ect.) , double bass pedal, and drum triggers on all toms. They also said they would include a yamaha Akira Jimbo signature snare (i think they are around $800 normally).. All of this is BRAND NEW for $3000 + tax... I am just wondering if you all would help me out on whether you think this is a good deal or if i am getting screwed. i dont know much about yamaha's so any help would be stellar.... thanks guys
    Last edited by grim3; 04-06-2008 at 10:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about Yamaha kit

That's an excellent deal, man. What kind of pedal?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Grim 3!

I agree that it sounds like a pretty good deal, if the the hardware is all top end. I haven't been able to confirm the value of the snare, but if it's a signature snare, I'm sure that's not far off. Yamaha Oak Custom 4 piece shell packs are going for around $1,300 - $1,500, so again, a 7 piece with top end hardware sure sounds good for $3,000.

Just out of curiosity, what are the 7 pieces?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Definitely get it man! its well worth it...i bought myself a yamaha stage custom advantage (only a semi pro kit (did win best kit awards in a couple mags!)) a couple years back. I still got it and still love it. Alot of people think that being yamaha and being that they make a whole lot of other stuff other than drums, they wont be good drum kits but ive played it against $5000 pearls and it comes out on top...they're a beautiful kit!
    My Neighbours said to keep up the drumming...so i do!

Playing: Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage
    14x6 Cheap steel snare
    14x5 Wood Stage Custom snare
    10x9, 12x10, 14x14, 16x16, 20x17 bass

18" Zildjian A custom crash
    17" Zildjian A custom crash
    14" Tosco (1970's?) hats
    20" Paiste formula 602 (1960-70's??) ride
    16" Paiste 302 china (converted from crash)
    10" Sabian B8 splash

User Info Menu

Why not?

They make GREAT motorcycles!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Question about Yamaha kit

And snowmobiles, outboard engines, Pa systems etc etc etc, everything this corporation does is top flight!! I have had my top of the line recording customs for over 20 years, they have been on long journeys and lots of gigs, never broken anything and not had anything rattle loose> Buy them you will not be sorry. the leather strap on the pedal is also original!! that was a good quality japanese cow!!
    and most importantly they go boom when you hit em, plus they look brand new still!! As a side note I do recommend blankets in the cases .... yes the bass drum is heavier to carry but come on peeps these are you babies. And roadies throw stuff when they think you are not looking.!!

User Info Menu

get the kit man!!!! the oak shells are a loud kit.oak is great for performing, especially if you don't have mics for the drums.you won't need them with oak.and akira jimbo is and awesome drummer! you won't regret getting his snare.check out some of his vids!
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

thanks everyone for the replys.. im glad to know now its a good deal! to 32ndheartbeat, the double pedal is a yamaha, im not sure what model... to pastor bob, it has a 8, 10, 12, rack toms, and 14, 16 floor toms, snare and 22" bass.... i dont really know anything about the drum triggers, but the guy at the store said they are pretty cool.. and the akira snare is also kind of worrying me.. i like to play hard rock and of the videos ive seen of akira, it sounds a little jazzy for me.. a little too high pitched.. so im wondering if i will like it or if i will eventually have to get another one... Is anyone familiar with them? can they be tuned easily to a low pitch i want?

User Info Menu

Grim3, the deal sounds so good that I wouldn't let the snare be the make or break item. You could always get a second snare later.

On the other hand, every snare can sound different depending on how it's tuned, and what heads are used. I would ask your fellow DrumChatters what they would do to get the lower pitched sound that you'll be looking for. BTW, do you know the size of the snare?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I concur with what has been said, that is a good deal on that kit, I'd go for it!

User Info Menu

the snare is a 13"x7"

User Info Menu

I was afraid of that. It will be harder to get the lower tone that you want, so you might have to factor in another snare. It's still a good deal though.

User Info Menu

Take my advise... Don't get A kit because it's a good deal.... unless it's the kit YOU want !! If it's what you want go for it !! Oak drums have a sound of their own from what I've heard. Just make sure it is the kit for YOU !! Having $3000 to spend opens alot of options !! John
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

As far as I see it with the snare, although it might not be your taste, it could be perfect for someone else, maybe even better since it's a signature snare. If you didn't like it you could just sell it for something you like.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

As a proud owner of my own Yamaha Oakcustom kit I would say they are great drums. Now the only question I would have for you is do you really want the yamaha hardware and the snare?

When I got my 6 piece kit(22 base, 10,12,14,16 rack toms) I only got the drums and the mounting hardware for the toms. They call it a "zero kit" which means all drums and no hardware. It was under two thousand and I was able to get my own preference for hardware(DW). Im also not a fan of yamaha's snares so I was able to get my own that I like.

Come to think of it I know where you can go to get a Oak Custom 7 piece kit with DW's top of the line hardware for five cymbals and hi hats, DW 5000 double kick(great pedal), and a DW 6.5 14 solid brass snare around the same price as what your being quoted. Again is just what your preferences are. If you like the hardware and the snare go for it, but if its just the drums themselves you like you can find better options.

User Info Menu

sounds like a solid deal, the oak customs sound great. they are not just for loud music either. keith carlock uses them for all kinds of styles.

User Info Menu

2slow does make a good point though. Grim3, you should be sold on the sound of the Oak Customs before you make the deal. I can only guess at your level of experience, so I'll just say that if you haven't heard as many kits as you can, head for the music store. The Oak Customs are a good deal, but they'd be a train wreck for you if it's not the sound that you want.

User Info Menu

thanks everyone for the input... i really liked the sound of the drums. the salesman played them for me and i was able to bang around on them a bit. i really liked the sound of the bass. it had a good, loud, BOOM... i was only really curious about the snare and because they also had a good deal on a set of pearls i liked too, that were a little cheaper.. but no hardware with them.. so if you all thought that the yamahas were a good deal, then i would go that direction. i just dont know alot about yamahas.. i have always been a pearl man
    Last edited by grim3; 04-08-2008 at 12:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Yamaha makes good drums too. As has been pointed out on other threads, once you get past the beginner drums, the competition between companies is so intense that it forces the production of some really quality drums. The main thing is to ask questions, as you have done here, and to hear the drums so that you know it's the sound that you like. I'm a Gretsch Catalina Maple player for 2 reasons. First, they were drums that I could afford, and second, when I played them, I fell in love with the sound. At that point, I knew it was my kit! That's why different drummers have different loyalties.

User Info Menu

Probably a bit late to reply to this, but I gig with a Yamaha Tour Customs kit, and they're awesome drums! There's no doubt in my mind that Oak Customs are excellent as well, but as someone else pointed out, you need to hear them to decide if that's what you really want. And head selection can be huge to achieve the sound you're looking for.

I have both birch and maple drums (the Tour Customs are maple) and there's a huge difference in sound between the different types of wood. Oak I believe would be similar to birch, which have more punch and attack than maple drums. Maple generally provides a warmer and deeper sound.

If you find that's the sound you're after, and you haven't already, I'd say go for that kit. You won't be disappointed IMHO.