Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mapex M birch or Gretsch Catalina mod

User Info Menu

Talking Mapex M birch or Gretsch Catalina mod

Im looking into buying my first drum set! I have been looking for quite some time now and have narrowed it down to a Mapex M birch set and a Gretsch Catalina mod set.. They both look beautiful, both sound good, and both seem to get alot of good reviews. Right now im leaning towards the mapex.. If any of you guys/gals have opinions on what i should get lemme know!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex M birch or Gretsch Catalina mod

First of all, welcome to Drum Chat Magius113!

Tell us something about the configuration of the Mapex kit. I am assuming that it would be a 5 or 6 piece shell pack, while the Gretsch kit, although a great kit, would be a 4 piece. For me, the decision would all depend on the style that you intend to play. Either kit, though, would be a great 1st kit!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The mapex is a 5 piece set with a free 10x8 tom so a total of 6 which i would love and they are all standard size toms withs the 22x18 bass. I plan on playing things like some jazz, some metal, but mostly modern and classic rock. So the mapex is probably better suited for my needs but i just love the simple 4 piece gretsch

User Info Menu

Mapex has standard tom sizes and its a 5 piece with a free 10x8 tom and ill play mostly modern and classic rock some metal and some jazz so overall mapex is probably best but i love the simple 4 piece gretsch

User Info Menu

Yea, I'd go for the Mapex as well. Those drums do get incredible reviews and sound nice as any other pro kit, plus you get more bang for your buck as opposed to a little jazz 4 piece.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i would definitely go with the mapex. the mod set has mahogany shells, which although they dont sound bad, they arent as high quality as birch

User Info Menu

The Gretsch logo is cooler!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I was really trying to stay neutral with my post KG, but I agree completely with the cool factor!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

HBdrummer Guest

The Gretsch Mods are FABULOUS! Ihad mine for just over 3 weeks now and they sound....AWESOME! I highly recommend the Gretsch Kits! I have the Catalina Club Jazz and believe me when I say this thing RAWKS!!!
    I've been getting compliments from Sound techs and other drummers left and right! You cant go wrong with the Mapex M's either..But I own the Gretsch Catalinas and I've been at playing drums for 33 years (semi pro) and They are working for me!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

those are some nice drums dude

User Info Menu

They are indeed beautiful HB, and you look cool sittin' behind 'em!!!

HBdrummer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    They are indeed beautiful HB, and you look cool sittin' behind 'em!!!
    Thanks PB! and Glory to (you know who..) HB

User Info Menu

HB killer kit I'd like to give it a try !! And I love natural wood finishes !!
    But, I do have to say the mapex m birch kits are very nice and 6 piece shell packs for $650 !! and I think $819 hardware included . I like having 4 or 5 toms and am thinking hard about a birch kit so i am looking at all options in this price range the pearl vision is not 100% birch so its out for me. I have not heard either kit as i live in do drop Georgia but so far these are the only 2 quality kits in this price range . Anyone know of others ?
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

HB...you are man after my very own heart...actually I did a double take as I scrolled b down and saw the pic. It was like..".What are my drums doing on there!!!" I love the nat maple finish. I myself, am a fan of the four-piece set-up. o I love the simplicity and the look.
    I suppose that if one was to buy a 5 pc set and wanted to play it as a 4, just remove one tom. This would give you the added advantage of choosing the preferred sounding tom.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HBdrummer View Post
    The Gretsch Mods are FABULOUS! Ihad mine for just over 3 weeks now and they sound....AWESOME! I highly recommend the Gretsch Kits! I have the Catalina Club Jazz and believe me when I say this thing RAWKS!!!
    I've been getting compliments from Sound techs and other drummers left and right! You cant go wrong with the Mapex M's either..But I own the Gretsch Catalinas and I've been at playing drums for 33 years (semi pro) and They are working for me!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

...And before the Lord God rested on the 7th day...he invented the Drums...

Please, don't take that offensively. Your kit looks so beautiful in that setting.
    Man, I'm tempted but, I'm Catholic...what can I say other than, play those beauties and rejoice in the Spirit!

User Info Menu

i play a gretsch birch kit on occasion and think it has a great sound despite the coated heads the owner uses. i've not played the mapex enough to compare the two but think you would not be disapointed with the cat's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    HB killer kit I'd like to give it a try !! And I love natural wood finishes !!
    But, I do have to say the mapex m birch kits are very nice and 6 piece shell packs for $650 !! and I think $819 hardware included . I like having 4 or 5 toms and am thinking hard about a birch kit so i am looking at all options in this price range the pearl vision is not 100% birch so its out for me. I have not heard either kit as i live in do drop Georgia but so far these are the only 2 quality kits in this price range . Anyone know of others ?
    There are new Vision sets made out of 100% birch or maple. They aren't bad for the price, that's for sure.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I think either kit would be a great choice for you. I love my Gretsch Catalina Birch Kit, but unfortunately Gretsch stopped making Birch Kits and went with Ash instead. The Club mod kits are very cool, and sound great, but I like the Mapex kits too, and a Like the sound of Birch too. Tough choice, either way you go I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Im in love with Gretsch as well but you will be better with the mapex for the extra tom and they have a better metal sound for the style you will be playing.

You will have fun either way though
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i would think to go with the gretsch drum kit because i think it would be better quality. i don't think you need more toms, especially if your into jazz. even when you play metal, you dont need many toms, you just need lots of cymbals and a double bass (probably). once at an audition, one of the bands i saw that played metal took off the low rack tom on the placed set just to fit more cymbals.
    quality over quantity my friend........ besides, gretsch rulez :D.....

and you could always buy more toms later on......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Yea, I'd go for the Mapex as well. Those drums do get incredible reviews and sound nice as any other pro kit, plus you get more bang for your buck as opposed to a little jazz 4 piece.
    HOLA como estas 32ndheartbeat*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT) EXCELLENT Point you MADE(MAKE)

User Info Menu

which catalina mod?
    i have the club mod and its astonishing
    the tone is impeccable
    the character is truly amazing
    im so happy with it
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    i would definitely go with the mapex. the mod set has mahogany shells, which although they dont sound bad, they arent as high quality as birch
    i must disagree with you here coke
    i respect your opinion
    but i am in love with mahogany
    it provides low end and punch
    i had sound techs ask numerous times how i got the punch my kit has without losing low end resonance
    the answer lies in the shells
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

HBdrummer Guest

gretsch Catalina Club Mod! Ftw!!

User Info Menu

Don't be subtle HB, tell us how you really feel!!