Thread: Ebony Reso?

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Ebony Reso?

Is this a wise idea? I'm not too big on a high pitch, long resonant tone so I figured it could be a try. Tell me what you think.

Ian
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ebony Reso?

Ian, maybe there's something about the ebony heads that I don't understand, but I thought the ebony heads were simply a different color. I assumed that the rest was still about the number of plies, and edge control.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If I myself am not mistaken, I thought they had an extra layer of film inside, kind of like the black power dot in the middle of snare heads, but all over. I may have to look it up again, but that's just what I thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    If I myself am not mistaken, I thought they had an extra layer of film inside, kind of like the black power dot in the middle of snare heads, but all over. I may have to look it up again, but that's just what I thought.
    That is my understanding also, although I have never seen one physically. They are something personally I am not interested in putting on my kit so I have never had occasion to inspect one.

User Info Menu

yah thats how they are ian. i have them as resos on my 12 14 and 16 and they work wonders. the toms are tuned pretty high (the tweves at 1&3/4) but i still get a nice deep tone from them. i say try it on one tom and since gc has them on clearence if you dont like it your out tewlve bucks.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I used to display the original resonant head with Ludwig script logo but, I was given a customized drum head last year...an Ebony Remo. When I put it on, I noticed that it was thicker than a single ply head...I had to work it onto the rim of my bass drum. When I began to play, I immediately noticed a some what fatter sound from my kick drum and was delighted. I have not had to add any strip muffling like I had done previously. So, I would say that the ebony reso head does aid in reducing the resonance.

User Info Menu

I have stock resos, im planning on getting new ones, possibly ebony ambassadors. If you have clear top heads and ebony reos, it looks really cool, the clear and black mix.

User Info Menu

I'd do it... oh wait, I did!
    I think it'll get the sound you're looking for. What batters are you using?
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Right now I have on clear Ambassadors, they sound way too open for my preference.