Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only ONE conga, what would you play?

User Info Menu

Cool If you could have only ONE conga, what would you play?

First, thanks to cdaug for droppin' this in the Shoutbox earlier today...I think he, like most all of us, has been infected by the hand-slamming virus (way to go, bro'!) , but he's starting out slowly...

Now to clarify the question: We're NOT talking make and model (LP Aspire, Toca Synergy, LP Giovanni Series etc.), we're talking size...there are three traditional sizes:

QUINTO (10" head)...

CONGA (10 3/4" head)...

TUMBA (11 1/2" head)...

in addition, some congueros play a REQUINTO (9 1/2" head) and/or a SUPERTUMBA (12" head or larger)...

and in a perfect world we'd have one of each. However, we gotta narrow it down to one conga, and one only!

I would stick with the conga, if only because it's the middle drum and is the best compromise among all the various sizes. You might lose some higher-pitched tones, but a good conga man (or woman) can work around it!

Your take now!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could have only ONE conga, what would you play?

I would have to say that I would chose the conga too. If I could only have one tone that's the one I like the best.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i would have to say............don't have a clue, but thanks for the thread bbro i'm sure i'll have a better idea where to start after a few post here.

User Info Menu

dah...dah...dah..dah - Conga!

User Info Menu

hola como estas BONGOBRO* CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST(GATO)-DRAGON *FOR me THE CONGA*But Yo AMORS all MANOS &DEDO*TAMBORES*GRACIAS

User Info Menu

I would have to say it depends. A conga is definitely the best for musicality - the conga is where most of the melody for songs is located. But if you want to develop your technique, I would go with the tumba. I often play on the tumba when I am working on my slaps, because it really requires good form to get a decent slap on that drum. If you can get a good slap on the tumba, when you slide over to the conga, they will really crack! And then if you pick up the djembe, your slaps will sound like a gunshot.

Another advantage of the tumba is the larger head size when playing heel-toe with both hands. Especially if you have big hands like I do.

Either way though, you can't go wrong with a hand drum and you know it will only be a matter of time before you add in the second drum! you can never have enough
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

you got heels and toes on your hands.?..LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cool Re: If you could have only ONE conga, what would you play?

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    I would have to say it depends. A conga is definitely the best for musicality - the conga is where most of the melody for songs is located. But if you want to develop your technique, I would go with the tumba. I often play on the tumba when I am working on my slaps, because it really requires good form to get a decent slap on that drum. If you can get a good slap on the tumba, when you slide over to the conga, they will really crack! And then if you pick up the djembe, your slaps will sound like a gunshot.

Another advantage of the tumba is the larger head size when playing heel-toe with both hands. Especially if you have big hands like I do.

Either way though, you can't go wrong with a hand drum and you know it will only be a matter of time before you add in the second drum! you can never have enough
    Hey, bro', that's WHY I limited it to only one conga...like I said, midgard, if I could get all five sizes in the same set, I'd do it!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I cant decide between the tumba and conga , I'd have to flip a quarter to decide . As long as I get a wood shell Im a happy camper either way .

User Info Menu

No brainer for me. I would take the tumba! I pick that due to the fact that 99% of the people I play with would pick the conga and life is a lot more enjoyable when you can make music with someone else.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

1DB, somehow that didn't surprise me! You've always marched to a beat of a different drum!

Charlie

User Info Menu

I Cant Carry A Tuba So Conga Is My Answer,,,,,hahahaha
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    LUBS IT, BRADA! LUBS YA TOO, BRO'!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post

I noticed you aint been around much since you started playin that tuba..................

User Info Menu

I'm Workin On Gettin Rid Of Dat Big Ol Thing (wont Fit In My Car)and Workin On A Road Case For My Kazoo!!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

lol................heard ya say you were sick a coupkle days ago, hope youre feeling better.........you dont want to contaminate that kazoo.

User Info Menu

For me it would be any older conga with the traditional rim and original head in good shape of course. All the older congas before the Thailand congas with the water buffalo heads came out sound realy sweet especially with the non see thru white heads, mule or steer skin or just thick. Cp's Lp's Toca's, Gon bops. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the new Thailand congas I have many and love them. But If I had to choose one (1970 Valje conga)

User Info Menu

now you've got me curious, bro': How many congas do you have? If you have 15 congas, you might be able to do this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6UrlCoqc1I Daniel Mele from Argentina playing 15 congas, bongos and deep bongos at once...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    now you've got me curious, bro': How many congas do you have? If you have 15 congas, you might be able to do this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6UrlCoqc1I Daniel Mele from Argentina playing 15 congas, bongos and deep bongos at once...
    Yes folks, it's the amazing Daniel Mele weight loss program! Now YOU can lose the weight you've wanted to lose and keep it off! Just 8 minutes a day on the Orquesta Amarilla and we guarantee you will lose those ugly pounds quickly!! Only $19.95 plus shipping and handling! (hand drums slightly extra). Call NOW!!

That is probably the most amazing hand drumming I have ever seen!!!! I almost passed out about 2 minutes into it, and I was only watching!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

BongoBro,
    No way I can do that but I did enjoy it! Not sure if you seen this one. It's only 7 congas but it's cool! I hope this works, if not, this is the file I tried to attach http://youtube.com/watch?v=9QjGgc1UkkU

User Info Menu

If I was using it in a working situation I would have to pick the conga as it is the most well rounded drum. However if I was to choose a drum just to mess around on at the house I would go with the quinto as it is more fun to solo on in my opinion. I did like the idea that someone had about picking the Tumba to work on your chops, I like this idea, its like using the metal donut on your baseball bat when warming up in the batters box.

User Info Menu

A Valje like mine.....................or maybe a DW (Gon Bops) California Series conga made by the builder Akbar Moghaddam (of Valje, Sol Percussion and now DW fame).

Man - there are some nice congas out there!
    Last edited by kona; 09-28-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I'm up-dating my original post on this subject:

I have not played either the Gon Bops or the Volcano drums, but man they look sweet !! I double checked the price on the Volcano Premium Koa, Custom Traditional - $2399/drum, add $500 for the Full Curl wood (gotta have that if your going to be spending 3K on a single drum!). They even sound nice on Youtube!

Just a dream, but a Volcano Qinto or Conga Tumbadora would look and sound nice on our new hardwood floor in the livingroom.........Ya that's my vote for now. I reserve my sentimental vote for my Valje Quinto though.

UPDATE: I just checked my email and received a note from Tom Alexander of Volcano Drums and he said the in Gallery price for a Premium Koa drum is $6,000 more if I want 24k Gold fixtures. Just thought I'd pass that on.........Bongobro - I'm thinking you might want to order a set - right?
    Last edited by kona; 10-02-2008 at 02:19 AM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    If I was using it in a working situation I would have to pick the conga as it is the most well rounded drum. However if I was to choose a drum just to mess around on at the house I would go with the quinto as it is more fun to solo on in my opinion. I did like the idea that someone had about picking the Tumba to work on your chops, I like this idea, its like using the metal donut on your baseball bat when warming up in the batters box.
    Funny you mention that, man...I usually have my black fiberglass CP tumba within reach of my computer, especially when I'm shoutin'. That way I can practice my riffs while waiting for the next shouter...and I'm learning new ways to make a single conga sound like three...

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I'm up-dating my original post on this subject:

I have not played either the Gon Bops or the Volcano drums, but man they look sweet !! I double checked the price on the Volcano Premium Koa, Custom Traditional - $2399/drum, add $500 for the Full Curl wood (gotta have that if your going to be spending 3K on a single drum!). They even sound nice on Youtube!

Just a dream, but a Volcano Qinto or Conga Tumbadora would look and sound nice on our new hardwood floor in the livingroom.........Ya that's my vote for now. I reserve my sentimental vote for my Valje Quinto though.

UPDATE: I just checked my email and received a note from Tom Alexander of Volcano Drums and he said the in Gallery price for a Premium Koa drum is $6,000 more if I want 24k Gold fixtures. Just thought I'd pass that on.........Bongobro - I'm thinking you might want to order a set - right?
    Only if I won the lottery or appeared on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire!" But man, it's cool to have a goal to shoot for!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Only if I won the lottery or appeared on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire!" But man, it's cool to have a goal to shoot for!
    Well - start dreamin! I can PM you with the price list if you're into it.

I'm just dreaming too man $31,000 for the complete set !!! My freaking Buick Rendezvous is not worth that - lol !! But, of course, I'd rather have the drums.
    Gary