Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the best!?!!

User Info Menu

Default whats the best!?!!

okay so i play the drums for my church and im in need of sum cymbals can anyone help on which would be the best choice im kinda leaning towards zildijian! plz help!

User Info Menu

Default Re: whats the best!?!!

Hi Drumgurl, I too play at my church and have zildjians took me forever to find the cymbals for me so it may take you some time to get a set of cymbals for you ! Try every one you can and start to narrow it down to what you like ! There are many good cymbal manufactures its all about you on this one ! and Welcome to drumchat
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Well, Drumgurl, opinions around here will vary. I have an eclectic taste in cymbals, so i have a 16" A Custom series crash, a 12" Wuhan splash, and an 18" Wuhan China (the few others are ZBT, and a ZHT that are slowly getting replaced). As you can see, it all really depends on what sounds right to you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

welcome drum gurl...have to say the same its a personal sound preference. with that being said cymbal selection should be made hands on. even cymbals that are "the same" can have differences. def want to be hearing them yourself before u purchase. and again welcome.

User Info Menu

I know this doesn't exactly help, but there is no best.

Just......buy what sounds good to you.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Just remember to choose carefully because no matter what you do you cannot make a bad cymbal sound good. Purchase the best that you can afford. Any of the big three cymball manufactures will have something for you.

User Info Menu

no.... don't say it Tom.

Welcome to Drum Chat... er... um... brand new "drum gurl" person.

User Info Menu

well i beg to differ with backtodrum.i used to have sabian B8's which are no special cymbals.most of the time they sound cheezy and are relatively cheep.but i have a special technique thats makes them sound "broken in", from the start. everyone knows that after many years cymbals start to sound better,well what i did to my cymbals made them sound completely different from brand new ones of the same size and brand and everything! i compared the b8 hi-hats side by side, and everyone at the music store thought my "worked" hats were high end sabians.they didn't believe me until i showed the B8 stamp!!!. so it depends on your price range, cause you can make ALMOST any cymbal sound better!!!!!
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Tell us drum fusion, what do you do to a sheet bronze cymbal to make it sound as good as a cast cymbal?

User Info Menu

i didn't say as good as a cast cymbal, i said better that the factory sheet. the B8 crash sheets are sold to paiste as plugs and are worked more and used for the 2000 series cymbals. so the actual lathing isn't all that bad.and as a rule what you said IS true. but i bent the rules a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum fusion View Post
    well i beg to differ with backtodrum.i used to have sabian B8's which are no special cymbals.most of the time they sound cheezy and are relatively cheep.but i have a special technique thats makes them sound "broken in", from the start. everyone knows that after many years cymbals start to sound better,well what i did to my cymbals made them sound completely different from brand new ones of the same size and brand and everything! i compared the b8 hi-hats side by side, and everyone at the music store thought my "worked" hats were high end sabians.they didn't believe me until i showed the B8 stamp!!!. so it depends on your price range, cause you can make ALMOST any cymbal sound better!!!!!
    did you put triggers on them and use sampled sounds? or is there a secret code you have to input somewhere near the bell, I gotta ask myself why on earth did I buy top of the line cymbals now. pease tell me your secrect!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Just remember to choose carefully because no matter what you do you cannot make a bad cymbal sound good. Purchase the best that you can afford. Any of the big three cymball manufactures will have something for you.
    this is the statement i was talking about!!!! key phrase: "no matter what you do" what i do is not some magical mystery thing that makes everyone who paid top dollar for the high end cymbals(including myself) ripped off or waisted their money.i said it "IMPROVES" the cheapo, if all you can afford is mr. cheapo!it changes the sound considerably so it doesn't sound like a cheap cymbal.it WILL NOT make your good cymbals sound bad or make this "cymbal" sound better than.please do not misunderstand what i'm saying. when i first bought my first set of cymbals(B8 starter pack) i had very little money and got what i could get.then i changed my sound a little 2 hold me over until i could get the metal i wanted, which turned out to be like ten years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    pease tell me your secrect!!
    Something tells me it involves a hammer.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=drum fusion;78984].i said it "IMPROVES" the cheapo,
    Ok what is the 'it'

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=drum fusion;78975] but i bent the rules a bit.

Aha,.....Is this the cryptic word.... [bent].... as in mole grips a vice and a toffee hammer?

User Info Menu

some guys may know about this but may not be aware of the results.i started doing this to my B8's and i still do this to my HHX's and other Zildjian's. i use my high speed buffer,one that i used when i use to paint and polish the custom paint jobs on cars. thats my old job.check out www.cardomain.com/id/corotezza anyways, using a coarse rubbing compound,i polish my cymbals at high speeds. it creates heat,and when you do both sides of the cymbal,it changes the sound quite a bit.the metal is shaved ever so slightly and polished up. this changes the way vibrations move through the metal and thus changes the sound.the more its done, the more the sound is changed.its not top secret,its not rocket science, but it works.if you're not used to polishing paint on a car, then i wouldn't recommend doing this to a cymbal.it can backfire if you are not sure how to do it.

User Info Menu

Interesting idea DF, I would like to hear a cymbal that has been heated in that way? It is that very reason that it is not recommended that cast cymbals be buffed that way. Sheet bronze must react differently than cast to that procedure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Sheet bronze must react differently than cast to that procedure.
    yes they do because of the lathing process.the grooves on a sheet bronze control the vibration waves completely differently than cast. the sound has more of a restricted path than that of a bright polished cast cymbal. with the process i use, it allows the vibrations more range of motion which alters the path and thus the sound.

User Info Menu

Ok, I'll take your word for it!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum fusion View Post
    anyways, using a coarse rubbing compound,i polish my cymbals at high speeds. it creates heat,and when you do both sides of the cymbal,it changes the sound quite a bit.
    What? No hammer?!!
    Oh man, I was looking forward to the hammer! LOL

Sounds interesting drum fusion. Do you know anyone else that's tried it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    welcome drum gurl...have to say the same its a personal sound preference. with that being said cymbal selection should be made hands on. even cymbals that are "the same" can have differences. def want to be hearing them yourself before u purchase. and again welcome.
    hOLA Como Estas CDAUG *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER
    (CAT) GREAT ADVICE *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Hello DrumGurl nice to meet you...

okay so i play the drums for my church and im in need of sum cymbals can anyone help on which would be the best choice im kinda leaning towards zildijian! plz help!
    Okay...first can you tell me more about the budget, preference sound and what kind of music does your church band would play ??

For Hybrid cymbals that can go all around and with the Best Price(Read : Inexpensive), I think ZBT or ZHT will be good enough.....

But If you have a bigger budget(Say it 700-800 bucks)
    So I will say grab some A Custom (suitable for either Jazz or Rock)
    Its probably hybrid than Z custom which primary Rock Based or K custom which have more jazzy sound...

All the best...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Drumgurl,
    Welcome to the forum!! I would suggest you don't worry about name brand, since all of the major brands make a wide range of cymbals with a Range of different Price and sound quality levels. You say you're looking for Cymbals for playing for Church services my preference is for a cymbal with a darker less bright sound. I want my cymbals to blend in with the worship band rather than cut through. Again this is a preference issue, and only what I look for, and works best for our worship band. Your band may be going for a different type of sound. There are a lot of variables involved that we would have to know in order to give you specific cymbals to try. It all comes down to preference, and the type of sound you are looking for. That's what makes it imparative that you actually go and play and listen to different brands, and cymbals, before you make your choice.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Sounds interesting drum fusion. Do you know anyone else that's tried it?
    no i don't know anyone who has. my local buddies here always have me "work" their cymbals