Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canwood Drums

User Info Menu

Default Canwood Drums

I have never heard of this company. They are based in Alberta Canada and are made from Canadian Maple. Anybody hear about them?
    Getting A Sonor Force 3007.
    Debating whether to get Sabian AAX or Zildjian Custom A

User Info Menu

Default Re: Canwood Drums

I've have never heard of them, but that certainly doesn't mean anything. I am interested to find out though.

User Info Menu

I did a little research ( very little other than a couple of google searches) they look like really nice drums, but really nothing that other boutique drum companies are doing with Keller shells. They get rave reviews in the forums I read about them though.

User Info Menu

Yes, keller shells, not sure if they are still in business, thought it was a Saskatchewan farmer.

User Info Menu

I've seen a couple sets of Canwoods around. Your basic boutique style drums. Same goes for Milestone which were around a few years back. Solid drums and decent sound. Lack of big time visibility prolly kept them back from making it big in the marketplace.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Milestones are nothing like anything else. Fibreglass shell and not flaky layered fibreglass. More like a corvette panel. Die cast hoops, which are now at the DW factory. I have a set of Milestones, was a studio kit used on David Wilcox "Breakfast at the Circus". Great durable road kit.
    Canwoods are however, yes keller shell with custom finish, been done and overdone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Milestones are nothing like anything else. Fibreglass shell and not flaky layered fibreglass. More like a corvette panel. Die cast hoops, which are now at the DW factory. I have a set of Milestones, was a studio kit used on David Wilcox "Breakfast at the Circus". Great durable road kit.
    Canwoods are however, yes keller shell with custom finish, been done and overdone.
    Tempus drums are very similar if not reproductions of the early milestones. They are fiber glass and Gel coat shells, manufactured in a similar process to boat hulls. and you can also get carbon fiber shells as well. They have an exceptional reputation for quality and sound. They are also produced in Canada where the Milestones were originally made.

User Info Menu

They are Milestones, less the die cast hoops which they sold machining to DW before selling company.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    They are Milestones, less the die cast hoops which they sold machining to DW before selling company.
    That is intresting I didn't know that!

User Info Menu

As already said, Canwoods are Keller shell drums. He was just a small operator who made custom sets in the 1970s and 80s. I know a guy who had some built by him back when, all super-sized deep toms etc. Very nice drums, and high quality. Keller does produce a very good shell. He had a website only a few years ago, but high competition in the drum industry has obviously pushed Canwood out. Like the name says, they were wood drums, not at all like the Milestones, which were crap.

User Info Menu

I actually own and play a set.

Yes, he was farmer in Saskatchewan who used Keller shells.

I remember the first time I played them on a big band gig alot of the musicians commented on how good they sounded.

I have always prefered maple shells so these fit the bill perfectly.

I was fortunate to find this set. My friend owed a used drum store in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and one year the manufacturer built drumsets for each stage at the Edmonton Jazz Festival for visiting drummers to use. After the festival the kits were sold for a reduced price and my friend was able to get a couple for his shop. I walked in one day and almost fell over as they were sitting there and were the exact sizes I love to play.

Anyway, here is a pic.

Remember the 3 Ps: Patience, Persistence & Productive Practicing (OK, I guess that would be 4 Ps)

User Info Menu

Hi guy's, my name is Kelly LaCroix, I used to be a drum tech. for Fred Pepper, who owned Canwood Custom Percussion, in the mid 80's. I actually own the kit that was on display at the Vanc. Expo 86. Having been a tech there, I can tell you there was no comparison, in what goes into making these drum's, it was a science, and I learned a lot! I have built kit's for Blue Rodeo, Kim Mitchell, Dizzy Gillespie, etc. I have not spoken to Fred for sometime, I heard he went into making P.A. system's.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Kelly!

Sounds like you got some great experiences you could share!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Canwood drums DO NOT use keller shells. Fred Pepper is a master woodworker. Having played a set of Canwoods I'll tell you they are the nicest drum kit I have ever seen or heard.

User Info Menu

Keller is top quality for shells, it wouldn't surprise me if a well respected brand like Canwood used/uses them. They could have made changes to these shells, but an increasing number of companies are using them for their upper level lines. You can usually tell by looking at the wood grain of any two snares; if they don't look the same patternwise, chances are they are different shells.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Canwood has always made thier own shells.

User Info Menu

Eh you got me there! I just found out myself that they do. That's really cool that they work up their own shells, a sign of good quality craftsmanship for sure. Being Canadian made maple, does that mean Keller gets their shells from Canwood?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hi guy's, Kelly here again. Yes, they are Canadian Maple shell's, but we had them imported from Mississaga Ont. if I remember correctly. They came to us as a plain shell, then we would do our magic to them! Put our sound edge on them, sand them, and would either put our hardware on them, or put whatever the drummer wanted. I will go back to some of my old papers on them if anybody has any more question's, I know I have them somewhere! lol

User Info Menu

Let me just say welcome to the forums! It's an honor to talk to a drummaker from Canwood!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thank's guy's, anytime I can help out, no problem, I sure miss workin there, greatest job ever, I still have backstage access to some venues! lol, met a lot of great drummers out there, Kelly

User Info Menu

Hi folks.

First-time poster here.

I just stumbled on this site a couple of days ago when searching for Canwood drums on the intarweb.

I've been playing Canwoods since 1988. Those of you who were in Edmonton AB around that time would have seen this (my) kit being played by the drummer for Famous Blue Raincoat (his name is Bryan - not me). I bought his kit from him when he decided electronic drums were the way to go...

Anyway, just a quick note to say "Hi" and to add that Canwood drums are outstanding!

The Canwood website seems to be down which is unfortunate. I'd like to get my hands on another floor tom, if possible.

Take care, folks.

Rich

User Info Menu

I purchased a second hand set of Canwood drums about 19 or 20 years ago.

Everywhere I play them out, someone comments on how good they sound, and many people recognize the brand. I am in Alberta, so that's not too surprising.

They are by far the best purchase that I have ever made.

I'm currently working a real job that takes me all over Western Canada, and am currently in Lloydminster. Fred Pepper is still making drums and lives right around here. His website is up (a cool, crisp google search for Canwood Drums does wonders) and he encourages people to come for a tour!

I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in a visit.

User Info Menu

Went with a buddy to Pick up a 4 piece set of Canwoods yesterday [kick has damage to it] along with a set of Capris!!! wowsa and a 1940's WFL luddy bass drum even more wowsa!!.
    Nice day it was.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Canwood Drums

I went to the Canwood site today and they are in full swing in the drum and P.A. business.You cant get the hand crafted quality of these Maple sonically matched drums at the affordable prices with a limited lifetime guarantee just anywhere.Quality always beats quantity manufacturing hands down.I will own a set someday!I put a pic. in the beautiful drum sets thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    I went to the Canwood site today and they are in full swing in the drum and P.A. business.You cant get the hand crafted quality of these Maple sonically matched drums at the affordable prices with a limited lifetime guarantee just anywhere.Quality always beats quantity manufacturing hands down.I will own a set someday!I put a pic. in the beautiful drum sets thread.
    That's great!

I just ordered a new floor tom from Fred in September of last year and received it in December (he couldn't ship the drum sooner because of the extreme cold temps they were experiencing in Saskatchewan at the time and he was afraid the drum would be damaged).

Anyway, I have my new 18" x 18" floor tom to go along with my 25 year old kit. I noticed that Fred uses much improved lugs and legs now but the drum is beautiful, much like the rest of the kit!

Canwood kits come up now and again in the used ads. Have you checked Kijiji.ca? Just a thought.

Cheers!

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.