Thread: I Have A Massive Problem

User Info Menu

Default I Have A Massive Problem

I think that my band is pretty good however my singer/bassist can't sing with a pitch, he mostly sings monotone. I know he can sing well cause he has a nice voice but i dont know how to help him. He knows it too but he doesnt have any ideas, listen to this really crappy demo on myspace so you know what im talking about.

I'm trusting you drummers, i hope u can help cause we have a gig this month (our first) and i dont wanna sound like that.

Amp

link: www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity

ps. i know the drummings off time at parts; my guitarist is talented but has timing problems lol

User Info Menu

your right...he does have potential to sound great....I would recomend he gets help from a professional vocal instructor. Also, who writes the vocal melodies?

User Info Menu

for that song i wrote the melodie and for most of the songs but hes planning on writing them in the future

User Info Menu

one thing that might help him is to write a melody that doesn't follow the guitar part so closely....nothing against your melody, you did a good job I'm just saying for his particular vocal style it might help alittle.....and when I say don't follow the guitar so closely what I mean is sometimes when the chords go down have the vocals go up but stay in the same key....for instance if the guitar goes from a F chord down to a E chord have the vocal line go from F to G. Just a thought......also maybe if the singer can sing an octave higher write the vocal melody an octave higher than the middle note of the chords that the guitar is playing......does that make any sense?

User Info Menu

Yah! it does makes sense. Also since he's been writing his own tunes and and melodies lately i think it also may be easier to sing them so that he doesnt have to learn the melodies from me however for the 3 songs that i did write that we are recording im not sure what i should tell him to do for those.
    Last edited by amputechture; 10-04-2006 at 10:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Somtimes just making sure the singer can hear him/herself can be a big help. If you can get his monitor up where he can hear it, try having him just reach up and plug one of his ears with his finger. Sounds silly, but it works.

User Info Menu

headphones.... they work. not just for the vocals...they help me pick out what i need to change and how i need to change it
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

i cant really judge that, the singing is the only thing coming in clear, the vocals might be better if you have the sound quality for the instraments a little better,

maybe if your friend tries to sing to other songs it might help to get a feel of a better way to sing
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

thanks for the insight i think the newest song "Contrast" on the website sounds a bit better still needs some work though.