Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tama vs. Pearl

User Info Menu

Question Tama vs. Pearl

No this is not a who's better thread ... sort of....

So I cleaned/fixed up the 1970's Imperial Star and I'm hitting the rudiments (thanks rudi thread!) and like most drummers dreaming of that really cool kit..

So I looked at the Tama Starclassic after ruling out their other kits but now I'm checking the Pearl kits and wonder if the Pearl might be better or as good. I like their hardware and I tested their pedal, nice too. I haven't gone to a store yet to see the actual set but I've seen and hit the Tama.

I'd like to know if their Pearl Masters Custom or the Visons Maple compare at all with the Tama Starclassic? I'm okay with spending a few bucks but I'd like to stay under 2k.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama vs. Pearl

How about I try to really confuse you?

If you haven't, you should take a hard look at Mapex. For the similar price points you will get better hardware with Mapex. And beautiful finishes.

Plus they offer a life-time warranty on shells which no other manufacturer does that I'm aware of.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

If you haven't, you should take a hard look at Mapex. For the similar price points you will get better hardware with Mapex. And beautiful finishes.

Plus they offer a life-time warranty on shells which no other manufacturer does that I'm aware of.

I 2nd that !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

are you looking at the tama starclassic bubinga or the maple?
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

I'm looking at their Birch/Bubinga model. According the sales dude.. the birch models are phased out for Birch/Bubinga then Maple then Bubinga. I'm not rich enough or good enough to rate the Bubinga (right now). Mapex? Where are they made? Of course I've had my Imperial Stars for over half my life and they still look pretty good.

User Info Menu

I don't know what your budget is but I do drool over the TAMA bubinga.

Been eyeballing them, for no apparent reason for way too long.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm looking at their Birch/Bubinga model
    Wow.....Starclassic Birch/Bubinga !!!
    Awesome..
    Compare it with Pearl Master Custom, Starclassic still have better quality I think....

I'm not quite sure bout the MAPEX....But a lot of people was satisfied with this Kit....
    Last edited by totti; 04-11-2008 at 06:40 AM.
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

yea I looked at the Pearl web and some online music stores for comparison to Tama. A link describes the new combo from last year. I was impressed with the Pearl hardware I saw in the store. I'm not a "gotta-have-this-brand" but "gotta-have-this-great-kit" guy.

User Info Menu

now throw in another wonder... the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive sets?

User Info Menu

Man, I just can't keep up with all the changes in drum sets today...but, it's a all wonderful!!!

User Info Menu

I'm a Tama guy, I have a Rockstar Custom kit that has served me very well for 4 years and will do for many years to come I'm sure although at some point I'd love to get a Starclassic (not sure which yet, haven't given it that much though!)

Pearl are great too though having said that. I did some recording this week with a Pearl kit, not entirely sure what kit it was (one of the Masters but I'm not sure which). Anyway, I've never recorded any better sounding Toms before! They came through beautifully.
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Hmmmmm..more to consider.

After looking at Tama's Hyperdrive movies it sounds like this kit is focused mostly for more agressive play (yea!). I like alt rock, funk, blues but like to do some jazz off and on so I'm not sure, but they do sound powerful in Quicktime.

User Info Menu

I think no matter what brand you choose,you can find a great sounding kit.I think you should look at the hardware and mounting systems to find one you really like.Tama Starclassic come with diecast hoops so they dont have as much ring to the toms.Some of us like this,while others dont.Spend some time at your Drum shop and try several brands and models.If you dont have a favorite , something will stand out for whatever reason.Keep in mind that if you see a kit above what you've budgeted,you might want to wait until you can buy that kit. Its nice to buy only once.Buy something you dont really like and you'll end up selling it and buying that other kit anyway.Good luck !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumdeano View Post
    Keep in mind that if you see a kit above what you've budgeted,you might want to wait until you can buy that kit. Its nice to buy only once.Buy something you dont really like and you'll end up selling it and buying that other kit anyway.Good luck !!!

OH man are these ever words of wisdom.

I've purchase my most favorite kit at least a half dozen times.....so far.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Pearl also has a lifetime warranty. If I hadn't just bought a new Vision VSX last year, I would be after a VMX. The Vision series are great drums for the money and the 900 hardware is sturdy stuff.

User Info Menu

I have a Pearl Vision kit, and I played a similarly priced Tama Supertar yesterday.

They a both great sturdy and goodlooking kits and top value for the cash.

Personally I think that the Vision's have better looking and possibly a little more heavy-duty hardware. The Tama's have funny curves in everything and their mounting system looks a bit nasty. But that's not to say that they aren't good.

Whichever way you go, you'll be getting great band for your buck, so have a whack of each and get what you think sounds the best and which would make you feel sexy to sit behind.

User Info Menu

Both are solid kits from what I have observed. I played a backline Tama Kit that was Superstar ELX I believe if memory serves me right, or something to that effect. Very nice sounding kit! It was brand new so it was in perfect condition, but it looked really well made and the hardware seemed really solid, I was impressed. the visions I have only looked at in stores but they looked really nice and well made also!

User Info Menu

Since recently purchasing a Pearl Masters Series setup, I'm really liking them.

So to recap....(my history)

I've owned 3 Mapex = Love them.

I've owned a PDP CX = Loved it.

I've owned Ludwig Rockers = Liked them a lot

I've owned Gretsch Renowns = Great drums, I never warmed up to them.

I've owned ddrums = Love them, still.

I now have Pearl Masters = so far so good.

I guess (at least IMHO) you will get a great set of drums regardless of the brand. Maybe it comes down to brand recognition and finish?

I think between Tama and Pearl you will do well in either case. Find what is in your budget and take it from there.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'd take a Pearl Masters Series over a Tama Starclassic Birch but I'd take a Tama Starclassic Birch over a Pearl Vision.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Well the Masters looks nice. I need to hit on a kit somewhere to see how I like them. That Starclassic is now Birch/bubinga for the base setup and mostly their about 1400 for a 4-pc shell pack. Now the Hypedrive has a really cool black finish and powerful sound and good price for a complete 5-pc kit but if I don't want to rock can they swing for jazz? Or maybe I just redo my Imperialstar for jazz?

Thanks for all the feedback. Since I've been out of it for awhile the new technology just knocks me out.

User Info Menu

Since recently purchasing a Pearl Masters Series setup, I'm really liking them.

So to recap....(my history)

I've owned 3 Mapex = Love them.

I've owned a PDP CX = Loved it.

I've owned Ludwig Rockers = Liked them a lot

I've owned Gretsch Renowns = Great drums, I never warmed up to them.

I've owned ddrums = Love them, still.

I now have Pearl Masters = so far so good.

I guess (at least IMHO) you will get a great set of drums regardless of the brand. Maybe it comes down to brand recognition and finish?

I think between Tama and Pearl you will do well in either case. Find what is in your budget and take it from there.
    Dude, I would be so divorced (again) if I bought drums like that!!!
    I'm pretty monogomous when it comes to drums though, I get a kit and stick with it; I'm planning on keeping my current kit forever.

I'm envious that you have had so many kits, though. Must be fun!

User Info Menu

Peach,I am similar to you in that respect, I stay with a drum kit, car, boat, house whatever, never been one to buy and sell (flip). I do admire those that are able to do it though and come out ahead. I guess I am too territorial, I get comfortable with my possessions and don't see the need to change real often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    Dude, I would be so divorced (again) if I bought drums like that!!!
    I'm pretty monogomous when it comes to drums though, I get a kit and stick with it; I'm planning on keeping my current kit forever.

I'm envious that you have had so many kits, though. Must be fun!
    If it's any consolation, that has been over 30 years time and the money I play for usually helps fund the gear. As far as divorce, my wife married a drummer and she's good with it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

the pearl vision offers a life time warranty on the shells also. im not sure if that counts anything other than their maple shells but they probably do. besides, why buy anything other than maple?

User Info Menu

Between Tama and Pearl I'd go with the Tamas. But I'd go with Mapex or Sonor first.

I don't know what your budget is but I do drool over the TAMA bubinga.

Been eyeballing them, for no apparent reason for way too long.
    I sense another purchase in the near future. (Spidey sense maybe? )

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Mapex? Where are they made?
    Pure awesomeness. For serious.

Orion - 7 ply, 6.1mm North American Maple, burl wood outer ply
    Saturn - 5.1mm, 6 ply (4 outer NA maple, 2 inner walnut)
    Pro M - 7 ply, 5.8mm NA maple
    M Birch - 7.2mm, 6ply (1 outer ply NA maple, 5 inner ply birch)
    VX/QR/Q - 8 ply, 7.2mm basswood
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47