Thread: sabian cymbals

User Info Menu

Thumbs up sabian cymbals

hello all!!!
    I'm interested in some intelligent opinions on some things;
    1.sabians new apx line anyone heard anything good or bad yet?comparitivly to the aax-plosion or hhx line?I am a full on noob only been drummin a couple months kinda got sucked into aband that needed a drummer asap 3rd time i ever played drums was at a gig!!!yikes

2.pedal speed techniques,I've seen a few post about this but most involved youtube and im running win 98 w/dial up internet so not really an option,just wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom or a good way of 'splainin it to someone WITHOUT a great deal of drumming knowledge?

3.I'm rockin a set of gammon percussion I got off ebay,kinda crappy out the box,but i put an aquarian super kick II on the bass,AMAZING difference right there,then put black remo weatherkings on the batter side and remo ebony ambassadors on the reso side with a black set i might add,which i think sounds real good now for a noob like i said,but looks killa!!!with a set of sabians b8 which ive noticed are not real popular around here?but anyway my thought was if anyone else has heard of gammon percussion or who makes 'em
    and a huge thank you in advance to anyone willing to help or express thier opinion here,hope this isnt to much for a first post
    grimm

User Info Menu

Default Re: sabian cymbals

I use B8's and I like em..They work, but could be better. As soon as I can, I'm upgrading to some zildjians. I've never heard of Gammon though...

User Info Menu

Hello Grimonne Welcome to drumchat! I'm not really a sabian guy so I can't help ya on that one. Just wait We've got some sabian people here to help you out
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I don't care for the Sabian APX's at all
    I much prefer my Z Customs
    I didn't think the APX isn't as loud and bright

Sabian B8's and the Zildjian ZBT and ZHT are good starter cymbals
    that will last you a while and are good quality

Bass tec. would include heel up and heel down (kinda self explanitory, i play heel up), swivel, which is a "swiveling" left to right motion of your foot on the "sweet spot" if you've found or have one on your pedal, and there is heel-toe method. Tht is striking the pedal with your heel to make one beat and catching the pedal toward the top of your foot, the ball if your will, on the down beat. esentialy creating two beats with one foot

I've never heard of Gammon before but if it sounds good to you
    go with it

I hope that helped Grimm!!!
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I started with a set of Sabian B8s, excellent starter cymbals they lasted me years. I recorded with them a couple of times and with a good set of microphones they can sound fantastic too. I doubt you'll have any problems with them as a first time set of cymbals!
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

apx are lower quality than aax and hhx. i have aax and i love them. oh and welcome to drumchat!

User Info Menu

i thought the aax cymbals are sweet too
    it was either between the aax and the z custom

and i'm deffinitly happy with my decision :]
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I don't care for the Sabian APX's at all
    I much prefer my Z Customs
    I didn't think the APX isn't as loud and bright
    Ha...You made a good point there....
    Z custom have a better and crisper sound....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Cool Re: sabian cymbals

WELCOME TO DA CHAT....I AM AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY"USER" LITTLE BIT OF ALL BRANDS....ONE OF MY FAV RIDES IS A SABIAN 18" B8 I BOUGHT AT A PAWN SHOP IN PHX AZ FOR $20 ALTHO I ALSO USE CHAD SMITHS SIG 21 1/2" CRASH AS A PRIMARY RIDE AND HAVE CLOSED B8 "PRO" 13" HIHATS,,,,I AM NOT SO FOUND OF ANY OTHER LOWER LEVEL SABIANS,,,YOU CAN CHECK OUT MY "BATTERIE' ON PAGE 53 OR 54 OF "SHOW US YER DRUMS " AND VIEW MY STUFF AT"www://photodump.com/phroggerz".... YES I AM ONE OF THE OLD GUYS MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP....PLZ FEEL FREE TO ASK AWAY....EVERYBODY HERE IS GREAT AND YOU HAVE VISITED THE BEST DRUM PHAMILY ON DA WEB,,,,WELCOME TO OUR HAPPY DISPHUNKTIONAL PHAMILY!!! I LUBS DIS PLACE!!!! WE HOPE YOU WILL TOO.....!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grimmone View Post
    hello all!!!
    I'm interested in some intelligent opinions on some things;
    1.sabians new apx line anyone heard anything good or bad yet?comparitivly to the aax-plosion or hhx line?I am a full on noob only been drummin a couple months kinda got sucked into aband that needed a drummer asap 3rd time i ever played drums was at a gig!!!yikes

2.pedal speed techniques,I've seen a few post about this but most involved youtube and im running win 98 w/dial up internet so not really an option,just wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom or a good way of 'splainin it to someone WITHOUT a great deal of drumming knowledge?

3.I'm rockin a set of gammon percussion I got off ebay,kinda crappy out the box,but i put an aquarian super kick II on the bass,AMAZING difference right there,then put black remo weatherkings on the batter side and remo ebony ambassadors on the reso side with a black set i might add,which i think sounds real good now for a noob like i said,but looks killa!!!with a set of sabians b8 which ive noticed are not real popular around here?but anyway my thought was if anyone else has heard of gammon percussion or who makes 'em
    and a huge thank you in advance to anyone willing to help or express thier opinion here,hope this isnt to much for a first post
    grimm
    Have never played em. I play a 14"HH fusion top hat, and a 13"AA bottom. I stole this idea from BB Chung King's drummer years ago. UNREAL sound!

User Info Menu

apx are better than the b8's
    but in no way teven touch the hhx, aa, aax, vault, so on and so fourth
    your better off focusing on what you think you need the most
    saving for a good model of that one
    and continuing on up
    b8's vary alot in their tonal qualities
    i.e. just about every time you compare two of the same cymbals of the b8 set
    they wont sound exactly the same
    i really liked my b8 medium crash the best out of the whole set so that was the last one on the set to go
    thin crash went first
    hats second
    ride
    then medium crash

as for foot speed
    use heel up
    practice a ton
    and make sure to adjust the boogers out of your spring tension and pedal board angle
    get it to be comfortable
    there is very little science involved mainly just tinkering around and feel
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

I'm about to buy a Sabian XS20 Performance set for a decent price. I've tried them a couple of times and they really rocked, so I can't wait to get my hands on them
    Otherwise, Sabian has of course made some better (but more expensive) series of cymbals, like the AAX's for instance. But I personally only had good experience with Sabian! Good luck finding what's best for you!

User Info Menu

Say no to the APX's man. For their price, you could get alot better gear. Sabian's AAX and HHX are pretty high quality, the APX are made from B8 bronze and are virtually no different then the B8 Pro line other than their lathing technique, which doesn't really help the sound.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

in my opinion, the two best sabian cymbals (i perfer sabian over zildjian) are the hhx cymbals and the paragon (gooo RUSH!) cymbals. B8s are sabians lowest model meant for begginers but in my first band (for some strange reason) the guitarist went out and bought a crappy set JUST so we could practice at his house and the cybals were B8. i liked the ride a bit. the hats were ok. hated the crash. i don't know much about the ZHTs and ZBTs though.

as far as your drums, i looked them up. they don't look that great. also, most people don't know much about them so it's more than likely that it is of low quality. not meaning it's bad. on the set i was just talking about, it was terrible but if you put on nice heads, they will sound decent. if i were going to buy a beggining set, i would go with a more popular brand like pearl, yamaha, tama, grestch, pacific, ddrum, mapex, ludwig, etc.
    Last edited by rush_fan; 04-29-2008 at 08:08 PM.