Thread: Yamaha Recording Custom Drums

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Recording Custom Drums

Mine is the older Birch kit. This is the ultimate for studio orgasms. Unreal tone and sustain. I heard somewhere that the sap in the wood crystalizes over time, and that these drums change every 3 or 4 years. All I know is that every time I've played them (which has not been in a while btw) they sound better and better. This kit came with a mahogany 14"x 4 1/2" snare that sounds like a maple tuned to a C. With an Evans Genera dry, I'd put this snare up against a lot of others at twice the price.
    FYI, I play Paiste Signature 12, 13, 14 fast crash and 22" Power ride. I play a Sabian HH fusion top 14" hat, and 13" AA bottom. ( I stole this idea from BB Chung Kings drummer) UNREAL sound! Man that guy is too cool. Wish I could remember his name.
    I use AHEAD Tommy Lee sticks (I think I told Phrogge they were Alex VH sticks at one point) and Pro Mark 747 super rock n/t oaks. DW 5000 Pedal ( I'll NEVER change!) , Yamaha and Gibraltar hardware. I jump between Aquarian and Evans heads.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Recording Custom

Thats a crazy thing to hear. I have never thought about the sap in the wood. but that makes sence.... I would have thought they would have been dried out before making a drum. But at the same time. Bending wood while its green makes more sence too i think.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

yeah that is really cool how they can change all the time

User Info Menu

That hihat idea is pretty cool too, I'll have to try that out sometime.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I'm looking for a part for an old Yamaha Recording Custom snare drum. It's the "snare assembly guide" (part# U0240141), a black nylon piece which holds the plastic strap (attached to the snares) in place.

If you have this part, please contact me at mwdrums@gmail.com. Thanks!

MW