Thread: Basswood?

User Info Menu

Default Basswood?

Hi i just wondered if anyone could tell me how basswood affects the sounds of drums? Ive heard it looks nice but wondered what it says about drum build quality. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Basswood?

Hey Mysterious Stan,Basswood is used in internediate priced kits and are sometimes used with a inner or outer layer of Maple.Most of the Drum Co. seem to be using Basswood and it really sounds OK.The better the wood the more ring or resonants it has and this is what helps the drums to cut through the music without sounding dead.Its kinda funny that we spend so much money to buy great sounding drums then we put tape,rings or change heads to cut the ring for one reason or the other.Go figure.

User Info Menu

Basswood is the wood of choice for many wood carvers. it's a light-weight wood, and works very easily with both hand and power tools. it cuts cleanly, nails, screws, and glues well. can be painted, stained, and finished without difficulty.in addition to carving, typical uses include turning, pattern making, boxes, crates, and a wide variety of specialty objects. for this reason, i think it would be too soft for drum shells. i have not seen a shell made with this wood or know what that would sound like.
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

From what I have seen in the market place (Guitar Center and local music stores as well) drums kits made with Phillipine Basswood are mid-ranged priced products that aren't to bad as student or starter kits. They're affordable and puts a drum set into your room without breaking the bank. Not a bad option to having something to learn with. So, as you progress, save your money for that nicer kit you're likely going to want some day.

User Info Menu

It is the wood that Tama superstars/Rockstard have as I believe inner and outer plies. those drums sounded good to me when I played a backline kit made with from it.

User Info Menu

well you see? i always learn something everyday. i did not know that. thanks guys.i was told the rockstar kits had poplar wood?
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!