Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worn Drumsticks?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Worn Drumsticks?

One thing I have always had a problem with until now: whenever I broke a stick, I always had different ones. Word of advice: ALWAYS buy the same stick. Vaters do well for me. I also recommend Jason Brinkworth (Binky) drum sticks. They have a kind of ball in the middle of the handle for better grip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Roober View Post
    I play mine until they break...My floor looks like the floor of a wood shop. Sticks aren't cheap!

Me too! I am saving my saw dust for next winter's kindling!!!

No, I've been noticing less wood on the floor. Installing a mirror has helped me.

User Info Menu

I play my sticks until they shatter.
    I've got a pair of Vater Rock sticks that are about at 5A weight.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Time out! I just wanted to say, welcome to Drum Chat V-cloak!

OK, back to our regularly scheduled drumstick discussion.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

play them till they break, but have extras on hand for when that happens.

I have been stuck at home trying to play with old sticks, then they break and I am stuck not playing. My parents bought me a dozen pairs for christmas.

User Info Menu

You'll know when it's time to replace them, because it'll snap lol :P

Wouldnt use them if your gigging, i always like to use a new fresh pair ever since i snapped one in a concert its not nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post

I generally buy a few pairs of the same kind of stick at a time and use them all together so that if one stick breaks, you just pick up another one rather than throwing 1 good stick away. 2 pairs really = 3 pairs if you think about it.
    This brings up an interesting topic. "Balanced/matched" pairs, or whatever you want to call them when they sell them as a pair, wrapped together. I don't put a lot of stock into that concept. I just take a handful and roll them to make sure there straight. I have a hard time believing ANYONE would be able to tell if one stick was slight heavier than another, if you're playing kit. Sure, you can hear the difference when you bounce them off your skull or a pad, but really, in a live situation? 'Course maybe me hearing ain't what it used to be...or maybe I'm misunderstanding what they mean by "matched".

What say the rest of 'ye?
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    If your cymbals are high up and flat you may be hitting them more on the edge which will "whittle" away at your sticks.

Two other common causes are the bottom hat being exposed towards the drummer and also hitting the rim of the snare more than a desired amount of times will speed the process.

But you can play them until they split our become bendable. Then you lose power and feel with flexing sticks.
    Bish brings up an excelent point about the cymbals chipping away the sticks . Something I do which really helps out is to wrap electrical tape around the stick . Start about 1/2 " below the tip and overlap the tape for about 5 or 6 inches total length .

This may add a little extra weight to the sticks which youre not used to or make them feel heavier to one side more than usual , but Ive done this for so long that I dont notice a difference , and the life of the sticks is increased dramatically .

User Info Menu

High hats that are played to high will chip sticks worse than anything I have found. Years ago when I wanted to look really rock and roll ( so I thought anyway ) I had my high hat stand set really high up and I would go through sticks like crazy. As I have become a more responsible adult I have them set at a reasonable height and have for all intent and purpose ended the problem of prematurely chipping up my sticks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bruarm View Post
    This brings up an interesting topic. "Balanced/matched" pairs, or whatever you want to call them when they sell them as a pair, wrapped together. I don't put a lot of stock into that concept. I just take a handful and roll them to make sure there straight. I have a hard time believing ANYONE would be able to tell if one stick was slight heavier than another, if you're playing kit. Sure, you can hear the difference when you bounce them off your skull or a pad, but really, in a live situation? 'Course maybe me hearing ain't what it used to be...or maybe I'm misunderstanding what they mean by "matched".

What say the rest of 'ye?
    I don't really think it makes that much of a difference as far as sound goes, but sometimes the finish on different brands will throw me off for the feel of the stick.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    One thing I've tried when I notice my sticks are a bit dented is to take some very, very fine sandpaper (look for the highest-number--that is, finest--grit you can find. A hardware store or an auto body shop can help you) and run over the sticks (between the grip and the tip) until they are smooth again. It shouldn't take a whole lot of sanding to do it, and it doesn't affect the sticks' performance at all.

yay! someone else does that! i play Randy Cook regal tips and every new set i get i sand them down with fine sandpaper to get rid of that annoying varnish they have on them...i like the natural feel....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes