Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worn Drumsticks?

User Info Menu

Default Worn Drumsticks?

Heyy!

The LEGEND drum sticks that i am using, are starting to peel.. does that mean i need new ones?? i used them today, and there's like... little wood chips everywhere... so replacement time?? or is there still some life left in them?
    BIANCA!!
    -----------
    My kit
    ------------

Set up like Ringo Starr's kit...
    22" bass drum
    Brand: DXP
    Cymbals: Zildjian ZBT Ride, DXP hi-hats and Crash.
    Snare: 14 x 6
    Tom Tom: 12 x 11
    Floor Tom: 16 x 16
    Hi-hats: 14" , Crash: 16", Ride: 18"

"Life Is What Happens When You're Busy Making Other Plans" - John lennon

User Info Menu

Default Re: Worn Drumsticks?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumsGirl21 View Post
    Heyy!

The LEGEND drum sticks that i am using, are starting to peel.. does that mean i need new ones?? i used them today, and there's like... little wood chips everywhere... so replacement time?? or is there still some life left in them?
    Keep them for senitmental value but yeah, it's time for new one's honey

User Info Menu

You can use them until they split tbh. They get harder to play with, but if you're playing really well with rubbish sticks, then by the time you get new ones you'll be much better with them.
    I just split my Vaters just now, have to go buy new ones. argh.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

by wood chips i meant Wood Flakes lol! and they make a mess!
    maybe it's my hi-hats that destroyed them.. they're stiff az!
    BIANCA!!
    -----------
    My kit
    ------------

22" bass drum

User Info Menu

Play them until they break, but you may consider new sticks if you don't like the mess.

User Info Menu

i just broke my regal tip 5a's they were brilliant

Ima using vic firth somethings but they dent my snare if u hit it to hard
    Joe-

www.bebo.com/cleargunshot
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    My Band,One Song On The Page

User Info Menu

If you can get your hands on a pair of these Vic Firth sticks, they are sweet!

American Classic® HD4

Vicís original SD4 design‚ but in hickory. For a light touch and great feel around the drums.
    L = 15 7/8" | Dia. = .530

User Info Menu

You should have several pairs available at all time for such emergencies. When the wood chips fly, it's time to replace.

User Info Menu

I play mine frayed all the time, but when the wood chips fly they're history.

BTW, if the sticks are seriously frayed, they will make great fire starters!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I play mine until they break...My floor looks like the floor of a wood shop. Sticks aren't cheap!

User Info Menu

If your cymbals are high up and flat you may be hitting them more on the edge which will "whittle" away at your sticks.

Two other common causes are the bottom hat being exposed towards the drummer and also hitting the rim of the snare more than a desired amount of times will speed the process.

But you can play them until they split our become bendable. Then you lose power and feel with flexing sticks.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I use mine until either I feel a stick start to vibrate or I see half a stick go flying accross the room. Or until they look like they could puncture a skin.

I generally buy a few pairs of the same kind of stick at a time and use them all together so that if one stick breaks, you just pick up another one rather than throwing 1 good stick away. 2 pairs really = 3 pairs if you think about it.

User Info Menu

I use the sticks until they split or they get too thin near the tip. YOu will find that the sticks will last longer once your technique becomes smoother. STicks last me longer now than when they did when I first started.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Worn Drumsticks?

DG21: If the sticks are frayed, replace them...sticks may be "expensive," but replacing a damaged drumhead is even more so!

One thing I've tried when I notice my sticks are a bit dented is to take some very, very fine sandpaper (look for the highest-number--that is, finest--grit you can find. A hardware store or an auto body shop can help you) and run over the sticks (between the grip and the tip) until they are smooth again. It shouldn't take a whole lot of sanding to do it, and it doesn't affect the sticks' performance at all.

And as our mate livewire noted, once your technique improves, your stick breaking should drop off considerably (re-read bish's suggestions, too, since hitting a cymbal or a rim at the wrong angle will tear up a stick quickly)...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    I use the sticks until they split or they get too thin near the tip. YOu will find that the sticks will last longer once your technique becomes smoother. STicks last me longer now than when they did when I first started.
    HOLA como estas LIVEWIRE CRETIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMERARTIST (CAT) EXCELLENT Point & true**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    DG21: If the sticks are frayed, replace them...sticks may be "expensive," but replacing a damaged drumhead is even more so!

One thing I've tried when I notice my sticks are a bit dented is to take some very, very fine sandpaper (look for the highest-number--that is, finest--grit you can find. A hardware store or an auto body shop can help you) and run over the sticks (between the grip and the tip) until they are smooth again. It shouldn't take a whole lot of sanding to do it, and it doesn't affect the sticks' performance at all.

And as our mate livewire noted, once your technique improves, your stick breaking should drop off considerably (re-read bish's suggestions, too, since hitting a cymbal or a rim at the wrong angle will tear up a stick quickly)...

HOLA como estas BONGOBRO *DRAGON CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(GATO) LOVE it AS I do the SAME & your RIGHT Sticks
    do cost less then HEADS ***EXCELLENT ADVICE* MI AMIGO * LOVE IT

User Info Menu

cool! I'd love to get a set of Ludwig sticks

now another matter... my snare-head is bouncing a little when i hit it with the stick lol! replacement time for that as well?
    BIANCA!!
    -----------
    My kit
    ------------

22" bass drum

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Worn Drumsticks?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumsGirl21 View Post

now another matter... my snare-head is bouncing a little when i hit it with the stick lol! replacement time for that as well?
    Whoa!!! You're really rockin' the drums!

First, check to see if your batter head is evenly tightened--it could simply be a bit floppy and flabby from being too loose.

IF, however, the head is evenly tightened--but the surface itself looks like it's been beaten half to death, better start pricing replacement heads (especially if there are dents and dings in the head surface itself)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i always vaccumn my drum rug whenever we get back from a show before i set back up in the practice space
    its gotta be a fire hazard or something hahaha
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Try Nova sticks. They are the blemished vic firths. Usually that only means a knot in the wood. They play very well.
    Acts 20: 24; However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.
    --
    Cherry Red Gretsch 4-piece Set
    -Zildjian ZBT Crash
    -Sabian B8 20" ride

http://www.myspace.com/takeonelastlookband
    http://www.myspace.com/abearnamedmuhammad

User Info Menu

DG, the change in the snare could possibly be that the snare head has loosened over time, especially if you're a heavy hitter. You might check your tuning again. It's just like your guitar, the tuning is affected by many things, and some drums stay in tune better than others. It's best to just check the tuning periodically.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    i always vaccumn my drum rug whenever we get back from a show before i set back up in the practice space
    its gotta be a fire hazard or something hahaha
    years ago I used to always have to do that to, and then one day it occured to me that all I had to do was lower my hats a couple of inches so that I didn't play directly on the edge and it greatly diminished my stick chipping problem

User Info Menu

my promark's already chipping some of the wood too. they make quite a mess but i still use em.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uhslax24 View Post
    Try Nova sticks. They are the blemished vic firths. Usually that only means a knot in the wood. They play very well.
    I have always wondered about those sticks. I think they sell them at GC. Cheap too.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Originally Posted by DrumsGirl21 View Post

When you notice that the snare batter head is bouncing when you hit it with the sticks, the tension is to loose. A really tight batter head won't give at all which produces that really high snare pitch. Slightly loosening the head gives a lower and more natural sounding snare drum tone but, to loose and the head bounces and the drum sounds terrible. Just take s little time and experiment with tuning your drum to where you like its pitch and head rebound.