Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vex doublebass pedal Review

User Info Menu

Default Vex doublebass pedal Review

Vex doublebass pedal. Well first off I don't have alot of experience with doubles I've had an old,old tama double for years don't use it anymore it's in bad shape so I've been playing singles for a while now....with that said
    Looks to be built tough came with the springs loose so i adjusted them once . I really can't say one way or the other right now I need to play some more ! Pictures and more review to come....

Last edited by 2slow; 04-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vex doublebass pedal

HOLA COMO estas 2SLOW *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) I never heard of this Vex Pedal by the Pictures It LOOKS COOL **One forsure FACT is THE ARTIST that Whats To LEARN DOUBLE
    Pedal TECHNIQUES will Find that certain PEDALS ARE just HOTTER PEDALS
    I know that I have been A DOUBLE PEDAL ARTIST befor even the DOUBLE
    pedals CAME OUT ,& and the pedals Do make A BIG Difference *PLEASE
    LET me Know How this VEX DOUBLE WORKS out for your ARTISTRY**
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

the beater looks like a pearl eliminator
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I was reading about the Vex pedals once, and the claim was that the extra spring on the left pedal gave more even beater action. I'd be curious what your experience is 2slow.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

nice how much did they cost you

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Vex doublebass pedal

Im Holdin My Breath Here Waitin For Yer Review!!!
    Get To Stompin!!!!Looks Real Good And Solid Thxs For Side By Side Wif Dw 7000 Gives A Great Cosmetic Comparison.....Hmmmm Cant Wait...
    Is This What We've Been Dreamin About And If Not Why?Let Us Know ASAP....Enjoy Da Journey(as Brother "STICKS..."Would Say.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Im Holdin My Breath Here Waitin For Yer Review!!!
    Get To Stompin!!!!Looks Real Good And Solid Thxs For Side By Side Wif Dw 7000 Gives A Great Cosmetic Comparison.....Hmmmm Cant Wait...
    Is This What We've Been Dreamin About And If Not Why?Let Us Know ASAP....Enjoy Da Journey(as Brother "STICKS..."Would Say.....
    HOLA COMO ESTAS PHOGGE CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER *CAT* I know I am waiting too here More ABOUT THIS VEX DOUBLE PEDAL * I sent 2SLOW A PM &STILL HAVE NOT Got A reply*
    AS THIS IS ALL A GREAT JOURNEY within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM** GRACIAS

User Info Menu

I remember when PDPlayer had these pedals and claimed them to be the best ever. then he got some new ones and said they werent that great. haha
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

After only a few minutes using the pedal I can say for the $99 price it's got to be the best pedal deal out there ! I played the single for a while and it is every bit as good as the DW 7000. I do think the beaters are too heavy I'm going to change them. They are built strudy look good and play smooth. The right pedal has no clamp the left does they stay in place well while playing. Both pedals have rubber on the bottom . The left pedal has 2 spurs the right has 1. I don't have any experince with the cobra or pearl doubles that are so hot now but for the little bit of double bass playing I do this is the deal for me !! I would say if money is not a factor then get what ever you feel is right for you but if money is tight you can get a quality double pedal for the price of a quality single ??
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

ok more questions. the online pic appears to have clamps on both. can the left clamp be moved to the right? Why do you say the beaters are too heavy? Is the pedal sluggish? have you tried it with a different beater to confirm its the beaters and not the pedal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    ok more questions. the online pic appears to have clamps on both. can the left clamp be moved to the right? Why do you say the beaters are too heavy? Is the pedal sluggish? have you tried it with a different beater to confirm its the beaters and not the pedal?
    I emailed the company and asked them about the clamp .... The beaters "look" big to me the pedal is not sluggish and i will try a different beater....
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Hmmmm....this Is Startin To Get Interesting.....when You Say Theres No Clamp On The Right Do You Mean That Hooks It To The Bass Drum Rim?(how Odd) Is It Aleft Foot Pedal?...keep Playin And Reportin Yer Thots My Phriend This Is A Major Review Subject That Affects Many Many Many Of Us....dont Be "2slow Bro" In Posting Yer Next Thots

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

they look like their built all right. The beaters do look like eliminators. I hope they serve you well slow.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Update 4/21

Played 2 services and 2 practices with the pedal yesterday on the mapex pro m kit. It was solid feeling even without a clamp on the right. I plays at least as good as the DW 7000 I have. I played some accent licks and everyone was too fast !! I'm not a big double player so as far as how fast it is.....It's way faster than me, looks to be built as well as the DW,Tama and Pearl pedals I have. The beaters worked well but, I still think a smaller beater would be faster. I think for the $99 shipped price this is a deal !
    Now for the bad news I emailed the place I bought the pedal several days ago about the right pedal not having a clamp to see if that is the way they are built and so far no response. Like I said it seems to work well and I think I recall some high end pedals not having clamps ?
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Default Re: Update 4/21

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Played 2 services and 2 practices with the pedal yesterday on the mapex pro m kit. It was solid feeling even without a clamp on the right. I plays at least as good as the DW 7000 I have. I played some accent licks and everyone was too fast !! I'm not a big double player so as far as how fast it is.....It's way faster than me, looks to be built as well as the DW,Tama and Pearl pedals I have. The beaters worked well but, I still think a smaller beater would be faster. I think for the $99 shipped price this is a deal !
    Now for the bad news I emailed the place I bought the pedal several days ago about the right pedal not having a clamp to see if that is the way they are built and so far no response. Like I said it seems to work well and I think I recall some high end pedals not having clamps ?
    HOLA como estas 2SLOW *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) AND GRACIAS for THE INFO..THE pedal Looks great & by what your saying It seems Like it has Great ACTION & is SMOOTH **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

That is exactly like the set of pedals I had actually purchased on EBay from a local supplier down here. I was talked out of the purchase before actually paying for them by HellsBells a while back. I was already a little uncomfortable in buying them before even trying them out as I know that if I did not like them, the return on ebay would be too difficult.

THis is the thread. They look very similar pedals

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...09.html?t=2109

EDIT: THe link to the pedals in that thread has expired, here is a link to a new page with the same pedals
    Last edited by drummer; 06-14-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Commercial Post
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Should My Dw 5000 Pedals Have Brothers
    Or Sisters(twins Named Vex)gotta Be At Least
    Dw Quality And Smoothness To Qualify....
    Why Would I Not Want These "kids" In My
    Collection?Keep Goin 2slow yer Play And Rate Is
    Convincing To Me

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Heres a review on the VEX that I found on the net for those who are interested . ...........

Originally posted by RumStik
    Just got the Vex double pedal, and while it's no Axis, I have to say it's a very impressive product, especially considering the price. I can't find anything bad to say about it.

The feel is very lively right out of the box. With some added spring tension and a small cam angle adjustment, this thing is easily capable of more than enough speed and response.

I tried, and almost bought, a used Gibraltar unit a few months back, but in terms of playability, the Vex puts it to shame, so I'm glad I waited.

Why does it only cost $99? I don't know! Upon initial inspection, overall construction is comparable to much higher-priced items. Maybe they've pioneered a lower-cost mfg process...settled for a slimmer profit margin...I don't know, but again, I can't find a reason not to recommend this pedal.

True durability will only prove out over time, so if I manage to break it, or wear it to the point where performance drops off, I'll be sure to post then.

If anyone has specific questions about it, post here and I'll do my best to answer effectively.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the write up gonefishin. It does sound like a great buy from slow's experience and these comments.

User Info Menu

I really really want the Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide.

User Info Menu

I played the vex again tonite. I liked it even better it played very solid and I played faster than ever on the few double licks I know. Brought it back home with me so i can practice with it as I don't play again for 2 weeks so maybe I can work up some new kick licks !! I must say as of now I am totally happy with this pedal oh and did i mention it only cost $99. I give it 4 smilies
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

cool review 2 slow, now can you do us all a favour and beat the crap out of it 24/7 to see how it holds up to a beating, yes you can stop for a tea break every 5 hours, and thx in advance.

User Info Menu

Sounding Better All Da Time 2slow But The Question That Confuses Me .....What Clamp Are Ya Talkin About?

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Hey PH , Im thinking its the one that clamps it to your bass drum rim .

Im kinda thinking about a Ludwig double pedal , but want to hear a little more about the Vex . Ive only ever played single , but would like to just mess around on my own with a double . Sounds pretty good for the $$$ .

User Info Menu

WhAt Would It Hook To If Its On The Left? Im Confused.....help Me Understand How It Sits....i See Da Pic But The Clamp Thing Doesnt Make Sense To Me

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA