Thread: Got a New Ride II

User Info Menu

Default Got a New Ride II

OK, I went to the music store today to have my brother's bass guitar professionally set up. I had to hustle back to the church, so I couldn't hang around the store and talk with the owner. Well, I went back to pick up the bass tonight and we got to talking for a few minutes. To make a long story short, I just browsed his cymbals while I was there to see if there were any deals to be had, and there it was - a 20" Sabian AAX Studio Ride. Man, it sounded sweet, and it was such an exceptional deal. It was clean as a whistle, and only $149 - used. I had to put a stick to it, and then I just had to take it home! It is the sound that I was looking for in a ride! The owner asked if I wanted to return the Zildjian A in favor of this one, but I was thinking about having both for different applications. What do you guys think? Does this make sense?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got a New Ride II

Well PB ifyou like them both then keep them. Or keep the A for your son.

User Info Menu

exactly what btd said. that awesome, thats just like the ride i have and im glad you found one you liked. wheres the used cymbal section at our gc? i can never find it. i saw cymbals back behind the counter but i feel bad if i walk back there

User Info Menu

Haha PB awesome! You could keep both! Maybe you can hang the other one in a wall or make it like a trophy or something, or as you said use in different application
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

especially if you do jazz, then keep em both! Two diffrent sounds, but if your not really into trying to set up a mainly ride kit, then id say pick which sounds more practical for your style and such, but if not, make one a left side ride? =D

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I was actually feeling like after playing for just a year, the idea of 2 rides for different styles might be a bit presumptuous, and more than just a little premature.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Got a New Ride II

PB, you're definitely a drummer, bro'! Gotta have one of everything for any kind of performance!

Actually, you'll find uses for both rides, since each has a distinctive tonal quality...might be a little awkward taking both to gigs at first, but knowing you, you'll find a way to use either or both (maybe even in the same song!)...

Way to go, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i have two rides
    i even put a sizzler on one
    and i want to get another hehehehe
    i love rides bud
    keep them both
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Its really hard to have one set of cymbals.Cymbals add so much color to the music and its hard for one tone to fit several type's of music or venue's.I use my K crashes for lower volume gigs.and my A customs for larger venue's.I have a set of Istanbul crashes that I use for dinner type gigs along with a 19" Zild. Sweet Baby ride.20" A custom Ping ride for Top 40/Oldies and an old 20" zild. heavy ride that I use for Rock/Blues.Drummer's are always looking for that special snare or cymbal.I read a story about the drummer for the "Rolling Stones".He's a Zildjian guy and everytime he goes on tour he gets new cymbals,yet he keeps using the same cymbals he used from the 60's because he loves the tone.Has a basement full of new cymbals,yet will stop in Pawn Shops to look for old cymbals all the time.Trust me,your cymbal collection will slowly start to grow the longer you play.After all we need to spend our extra money on some kind of Drum Gear right ?

User Info Menu

If the money doesnt matter i would keep both. Theres alot you could do with two rides. Have it as a crash or effects cymbal, keep it as a spare and switch if you want a different sound. I would personally have it on my other side as a second ride, this would give alot of versatility.

User Info Menu

you can never have too many cymbals PB or drums for that matter. im constantly changing the set up in favor of different styles replacing one drum with another and so on. i feel this spurs creativity for me.

User Info Menu

Rides?? let's see...I have:

...20" Avedjis Zildjian Medium ride

...20" K Constantinople Light ride

...21" A Zildjian Sweet ride

...21" Istanbul AGOP Mel Lewis signature Big Band ride

I can't bring myself to getting rid of any of them. I don't use the 20" Medium ride, though I've had it since 1965. To much wash and to little articulation. I really wanted to get a 21" K Special Dry ride. No need. I played on one recently along side my Mel Lewis...both are close to each other. The Constantinople is just to beautiful to get rid of. Doesn't project with the big band but, just perfect for that occasional Ballad and Bossa Nova we play. The Sweet Ride is just that...Sweet! Articulate but not as Dark sounding as the K's or Istanbul. So, PB, pretentious or not, IMO, one cannot have to many cymbals, especially rides...they all have their unique sound and character. Oh, almost forgot, I did have a 22" Avedjis Zildjian that I found in a dumpster. That sucker was a Heavy Ride. I drilled it and added sizzles for that trashy China ride quality. I did sell it a few years ago along with my old 15" hi-hats. I can't say that I miss it because I never really used it. Oh well...

User Info Menu

I want it, I only have a Planet Z (re: rubbish) ride ;_;
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I have a 22" A Zildjian from the late 1950s early 60s as near as I can tell, but it sounds so good to me that I have no reason to want to look for anything else. I haven't found one new yet, that I thought sounded anywhere near as good as the one I have. I got it by chance from a friend that called and said he had some old cymbals that his wife had got from a yard sale and would I be interested in maybe buying them from him, the rest is history.

User Info Menu

you can never have too many rides

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    you can never have too many rides
    I don't know Coke, I would say that about crashes, but rides?

User Info Menu

I always say " you never sell your cymbals , you just buy more"............................its kinda like women and shoes.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I always say " you never sell your cymbals , you just buy more"............................its kinda like women and shoes.........
    That makes a fair amount of sense GF!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    That is a great quote right there.......

User Info Menu

i totally agree with you gonefishin :D

User Info Menu

thats a great cymbal, i would keep both.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your thoughts on this!