Thread: Most important rudiments?

User Info Menu

Default Most important rudiments?

Hi,

Having limited time to practice, I've worked out a strict schedule to cover the moves a beginner should learn. Included in this is time spent on the drum pad doing rudiments. Of the 40 rudiments which ones should I concentrate on and are there any that I can forget about?

Thanks,

Paul.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Most important rudiments?

My teacher has me starting off on singles, doubles, and perididdles. These seem to be the core rudiments. Be sure to get a metronome and do them along to that! Perfect time is a HUGE part of doing them. I personally do them flat with no accenting on my drum pad then move to my set and try different accents and play along to music.
    Acts 20: 24; However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.
    --
    Cherry Red Gretsch 4-piece Set
    -Zildjian ZBT Crash
    -Sabian B8 20" ride

http://www.myspace.com/takeonelastlookband
    http://www.myspace.com/abearnamedmuhammad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uhslax24 View Post
    My teacher has me starting off on singles, doubles, and perididdles. These seem to be the core rudiments. Be sure to get a metronome and do them along to that! Perfect time is a HUGE part of doing them. I personally do them flat with no accenting on my drum pad then move to my set and try different accents and play along to music.
    UHSLAX has it, I would add flams to that list. All the other rudiments are combinations of singles, doubles, Paradiddles and Flams.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

The only thing I would add here other than to say that paradiddles and flams will do a great deal for your playing is that you practice these with the proper form. Single paradiddle - RLRR LRLL - RH stroke comes from above and stays down while LH plays and immediately raises leaving the RR to be played as tap strokes. Same format for LH paradiddle. Visually, one hand is always raised while the other plays. Practice slowly to get comfortable with it. On the drum set, it will then be so much easier to play these and various combinations of paradiddles without getting the hands tripped up. Proper form of all Rudiments is vital.

User Info Menu

The one's that don't make you want to throw your kit out the window

User Info Menu

The reverse double pataflafla-madiddle-triddle. Don't go near that one!

User Info Menu

As stated above, don't worry about anything beyond single-stroke rolls, double-stroke rolls, paradiddles and flams for now...
    I have known some fantastic drummers who never made it past those...

Then move on to the triple-stroke paraflamadingdangdiddley-dos with double accented grace strokes on the thingamajigs!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Oh Yeah! Don't go near it, that one put me in the hospital for days

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    that sounds like a desert!
    BIANCA!!
    -----------
    My kit
    ------------

Set up like Ringo Starr's kit...
    22" bass drum
    Brand: DXP
    Cymbals: Zildjian ZBT Ride, DXP hi-hats and Crash.
    Snare: 14 x 6
    Tom Tom: 12 x 11
    Floor Tom: 16 x 16
    Hi-hats: 14" , Crash: 16", Ride: 18"

"Life Is What Happens When You're Busy Making Other Plans" - John lennon

User Info Menu

I have to agree with pretty much everyone else. I just recently started taking lessons and my teacher has me doing single stroke roll, double stroke roll, and the paradiddle (along with a few paradiddle variations).

User Info Menu

All them and a double parradiddle, that will help you out when you come across a 6/8 beat.

User Info Menu

Start making up rudiments with other rudiments tbh.

Like, the 5 stroke roll or whatever, it's usually RLRLR or RRLLR or something, make it into a paradiddle like RLRRL and accent the first two notes or just the lefts.

Play about, expand the way you look at them. You don't need to learn them all unless you really want to show off.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Your ability to play certain music will only be limited by your understanding and control of the rudiments. They are there for a reason peeps.
    There are no shortcuts im afraid, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    yes start with singles doubles and paradiddles of course but do not forget the others if you want to fully master this ancient spiritual art form !! hey swd you are influencing me dude.

User Info Menu

FLAMADIDDLE

But seriously, I dont think anyone has mentioned 5 and 9 stroke rolls. Paradiddles with a moving accent certainly helped me - putting accents in different places helps change the feel and the ...Grooove
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

but lets not confuse the guy, for now he should be starting off with single and double and paradiddle for the first couple of months then move on to the 5's 6's 7's etc
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I agree that eventually he should learn the other rudiments, if you want to be a well rounded drummer, but as Livewire says get the easy ones down first.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I like the sound of ratamacues. Since I am learning without a private instructor, I am picking ones I like. I usually do single stroke, double stroke, paradiddles, and my ratamacues. I am starting to notice the patterns of them. I will eventually learn them all. This is a lot of fun for me. My bass is very jealous of the new roommate, but I promised her I would play with her.

This tip might be cool for the other bassplayers here. I saw it from a Billy Sheehan DVD. He talked about 2 hand technique, and used "Mean Street" by Van Halen as an example. He plays parts of chords with both hands. Using drum rudiments, you can achieve a really cool pattern to play on the bass.
    Right about now, a bright light shines on me and a BIG voice says, "HMMM..." That's it just "HMMM...."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Right about now, a bright light shines on me and a BIG voice says, "HMMM..." That's it just "HMMM...."
    Yeah, I get that a lot too! Just HMMMM!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I like the sound of ratamacues. Since I am learning without a private instructor, I am picking ones I like. I usually do single stroke, double stroke, paradiddles, and my ratamacues. I am starting to notice the patterns of them. I will eventually learn them all. This is a lot of fun for me. My bass is very jealous of the new roommate, but I promised her I would play with her.

This tip might be cool for the other bassplayers here. I saw it from a Billy Sheehan DVD. He talked about 2 hand technique, and used "Mean Street" by Van Halen as an example. He plays parts of chords with both hands. Using drum rudiments, you can achieve a really cool pattern to play on the bass.
    onename for ratmycues dude , steve gadd check him on you tube. if ya cant find it , i will post the lesson. its old but it still works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Your ability to play certain music will only be limited by your understanding and control of the rudiments. They are there for a reason peeps.
    There are no shortcuts im afraid, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    yes start with singles doubles and paradiddles of course but do not forget the others if you want to fully master this ancient spiritual art form !! hey swd you are influencing me dude.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS RATMYCUE*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) THAT IS A VERY TRUE FACT*EXCELLENT* *& ALSO TOO MASTER THE SWISS -CHART RUDIMENTS***ALL the RUDIMENTS ARE VERY important
    THEY are the SCALES TOO THIS VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM just Like THe PIANIST Must LEARN ALL the MAJOR & MINOR SCALES & AUGMENTED & DIMINISH SCALES ** THE RUDIMENTS ARE A GREAT STRUCTURED DISCIPLINE within MASTERING THE TAMBORES (DRUMS AS THEY also HELP the CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMERS SINGING Within HIS or HERS ARTISTRY
    Within THIS VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM**GRACIAS*THIER IS INFINITE CONVERSIONS Within THIS
    OF GAINING Knowledge Within THE MASTERING OF THE RUDIMENTS IT will Only ENHANCE THE CRETIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER IN GREAT WAYS **BEYOND & BEYOND***THATS A FACT**ENJOY your JOURNEY **
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 04-27-2008 at 08:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Wink Re: Most important rudiments?

Here's a ghost I scared up!!! Just been enjoying learning the building blocks of drumming.

User Info Menu

There are building blocks?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!