Thread: DW Craviotto

User Info Menu

Default DW Craviotto

My son is thinking about buying a used DW Craviotto snare. Anyone have any experience with this model?
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 04-18-2008 at 08:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Craviotto

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    My son is thinking about buyint a used DW Craviotto snare. Anyone have any experience with this model?
    Beautiful drums all around , and extremely well made. I don't own one but had the pleasure to play one and it sounded really good.

User Info Menu

These are great snares.They use a single ply of wood instead of the standard 8-10 plys.Old Slingerland Radio King snares were made the same way.Its great to have one really good snare but with the money you may be able to buy 2 snares with totally different sounds.Just depends on the type of music he plays.Again a Great snare.

User Info Menu

Everything I have ever heard or read about the Craviotto snare is utmost quality and investment grade drums.

User Info Menu

if it is in good shape then it will be a quallity drum.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I like the chrome hardware better.Its easier to care for and doesnt pit like the brass coated ones.Either snare would be great though.Good Luck

User Info Menu

i would take the 5 1/2".

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. What do you like about the 5.5, Funky? He's looking for something to use as a jazz snare, btw.

User Info Menu

just about any snare can be tuned to work in a jazz situation
    remo ambassador batter head tuned medium tight with the reso tuned on the looser side with loos snare wires
    bingo =]
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    just about any snare can be tuned to work in a jazz situation
    remo ambassador batter head tuned medium tight with the reso tuned on the looser side with loos snare wires
    bingo =]
    Yeah, but he's looking for a wide range of voicings. Some drums can just talk, almost like when a guitarist stays on one note and uses pinch harmonics to make it squeal and squak. He played a Craviatto in GC a few months ago and it had that kind of expression.

ThePloughman Guest

These are great drums. Something to have and use for a lifetime, and beyond.

User Info Menu

I just got a Stool Pigeon snare drum. I don't know if he wants to stick with DW, but SP is just starting out and has snares that are awesome! I think they sound better than the Craviotto. I know the owner and talked to him, he said soon they're going to have a launching promotion where they offer a certain percentage off of orders. Their 14" snares start at $450, but with a the discount they might be about $400. You may want to check it out. www.stoolpigeondrums.com.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Thanks guys. What do you like about the 5.5, Funky? He's looking for something to use as a jazz snare, btw.
    just a little more depth in pitch, a little more versitile. same sound with a little more ballz.

User Info Menu

Get it...now
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit