Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass drum sizes

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum sizes

Okay, there was a thread about to Pillow or not to Pillow the bass drum. One of the respondants mentioned the various sizes of bass drums since the big band era. That got me to thinking. What size bass drum is on your kit and, if you had your druthers, what size would you like to use? Mine is a 20" x 16". Sometimes, I think I would like a 20" x 17" or the 20" x 18". I like the "Punch" each provides but I'm not convinced I would like it with my big band. I probably should have a 22" x 16" but don't think I'd like to haul something that big around as often as I play. I've noticed, too, that 20" x 16" bass drums are making a comeback. Thoughts, anybody?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum sizes

Mine is an 18x16 floor tom that I built a platform for. I left the metal rims intact. I have Remo Fybre-skin 3 on batter side and an Evans Uno Logo head. I love the small kick. The set originally came with 24x14 bass, which I have since retired.

all the best...

ThePloughman Guest

18x18........havent got it yet, Its on the way, 1983/4 Rogers original. 8 ply all maple
    16x18..... Floor tom conversion, great bass drum, no pillow Wood hoops, Remo Fiberskyn3 ambassador reso, no hole, EQ1 Batter, no patch. 8 ply all maple
    14x20...... PS3 Fiberskyn Batter, Aquarian SK1 Reso, port at 3:00 five ply Rogers 1968.
    14x20...... EQ3 Clear Batter, Fiberskyn3 Amb. Reso, no hole 1964 Rogers 3 ply
    14x20...... SK1 Batter, FiberSkyn3 Amb. Reso, no hole1966 Rogers 5 ply
    16x22...... EQ3 BAtter, Fiberskyn3 Reso, no hole 1995 Ayotte Custom six ply
    14x24...... PS3 Pinstripe Fiberskyn Amb. BAtter, Fiberskyn2 medium Reso, no hole. 1977 Rogers 5 ply.

All maple, no extra holes, no mods, no pillows, no tape.

The only muffling other that whats inherant in the heads is the Vintage logos on two of the drums, and the brand logos I had special made.
    Theyve all got plenty of punch.

Im really happy with what Ive got.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bass drum sizes

On The "Chrome Babies"(1972 Ludwig Classic 3 Ply Chrome Overlay) 22" Bass Drum Usin An Evans Emad On Batter Head/Evans "Mirror Chrome"(new From 1972) On Front Side To Match Da Kit....Inside Is A Very Light Phrogge Blanket(yes It Has Phrogges All Over It)...Lay Into It It "Whumps"/Bounce Offda Head And It "Booms" Quite Nicley Thank You Very Much
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS FIACOVAZ *FRANK(CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) I Love My 18"X22" SATURN MAPEX BASS DRUM SIZE
    ITS just A HOT PUNCH &Excellent ACTION *I Know that My NEXT TAMBORES (TRAPS)(CANS) (SKINS)(SET) will BE A 18"X24" ,BUT I have always USED 22" I did Have A TAMA 24"X16" ,but at a Later time I just
    Wanted A 18"X22" as I perform with Alot of DIFFERENT STYLES of MUSIC From A-Z*****
    within My GIGS STUDIO OR Road GIGS *But I know that sometime within the Future I am getting A 18"X24" as this will work for ME**GRACIAS *WHAT-EVER Works For THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST Is ALL GREAT**as We Journey within ALL of OUR OWN UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTRY***& LIFE**

User Info Menu

My Ludwig is 22 ' and love the sound from it . Several times I have thought about adding a 20" bass to the set .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Mine is an 18x16 floor tom that I built a platform for. I left the metal rims intact. I have Remo Fybre-skin 3 on batter side and an Evans Uno Logo head. I love the small kick. The set originally came with 24x14 bass, which I have since retired.

all the best...
    would love to see a pic of that!

mines 18 X 22 and i have a 4" fleece "roll" i made to slide into the drum through the resno head hole. its just long enough to fit somewhat snuggly between the batter and resno. does not choke the drum at all. just removes some overtones.

i played a pork pie kit at the GC that had a 26" diameter bass...i forget the depth now. but it had good sound and to be honest...i like the look of that big boy!

User Info Menu

I do think bigger is better , but Frank made a very good comment .......it is a pain to lug that heavy bear around town .

User Info Menu

current kick
    20x22
    two kicks i will have in my lifetime
    20x24
    and a 26x26
    so much low end!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

18X22 for me, I would like to find a matching 18 x 16 floor tom to convert to a bop bass drum. I won't have any luck though because PDP didn't make an 18x16 floor tom. I was thinking of building a Keller shell drum though to fit the bill.

User Info Menu

I have an 18" x 16" floor tom...looks nice sitting next to myt 16" x 16'" floor tom.

User Info Menu

Lay it in it's side and put some spurs on it and make a bop bass drum out of it for small more volume conscious occasions. If it is the Red sparkle classic ludwig drum though leave it alone! It would be shame to mess with that pristine kit!!!

User Info Menu

mine is really small. its from a cheap kit and its so thin. i hate it

User Info Menu

i have two 18x22 ive muffled it up with rolled up small thin blankets. but i want one 20x22 and one ither 20x26 or 18x18. not fully sure yet.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

HBdrummer Guest

I currently play a 14x18" Gretsch and my new pdp kit will have a 16x20"..can't wait for that!!..It started out as just being easier to lug around in my Toyota...Now..it's a sound preference! -HB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    current kick
    20x22
    two kicks i will have in my lifetime
    20x24
    and a 26x26
    so much low end!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    26x26?!?!?! Jesus, how will your kit ever fit on stage? :-P

Mine is currently 22x18 (that's 18 depth, the sizes seem to be mixed up here in England). I've got two pillows inside it, absolutely no complaints at all it sounds deep and massive I love it!
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    26x26?!?!?! Jesus, how will your kit ever fit on stage? :-P

Mine is currently 22x18 (that's 18 depth, the sizes seem to be mixed up here in England). I've got two pillows inside it, absolutely no complaints at all it sounds deep and massive I love it!
    sjc custom did a kit that had a keller 26x26
    the thing thunders hahaha
    i have been craving one ever since =]]]
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

I used to have a few sets with 22x16. I'm not really a fan of that size. My Premiers are 22x15 (or 14, don't remember) and they're very nice, no muffling needed. I recently got into some 20x18 basses and I love them so far. No muffling there either. Ultimately I think a 20x20 would be awesome.
    I've got a few component drums lying around. I'm debating picking up a 22x18 when I can to complete the kit, and to have a different size bass. I could go with an 18x16 bass or converted floor tom for a travel kit too.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I currently would like a 24 by 18 kick.

User Info Menu

i have a 22*15, would it be worth it to buy a new set with 2, 22"*16", or just try to get a set with longer bass drums? also would buying a single bass kit and having my double pedal be as satisfactory as the double bass drums? ive heard that 20*20 has a more Rock sound to it, but my generic set doesnt really seem to fancy my taste of music

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

I currently use two 22x16's with a small pillow in them, a 6" port at 4 o'clock each.

I'd love a 20x16, small amount of foam and a 4" port at 4-5 o'clock if any port or foam at all.
    Last edited by Roger; 06-23-2008 at 06:12 AM.

User Info Menu

shove a mike in front and some EQ you can make any drum sound like the grand canyon.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...

Kay-Gee...I also have the 16x18 floor tom and am considering doing the same thing you did...build a platform. Any ideas or tips you have would would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

You can purchase a DW platform as well that is already complete, I know I have seen one I will see if I can find a link.

User Info Menu

It is called a DW 9909 bass drum lifter it is on their site at dwdrums.com.