Thread: lignum custom drums

User Info Menu

Default lignum custom drums

has anyone heard of them, and/or played them, know what they sound like?these drums are truly custom, in my opinion. they are not made of multiple wood plies.they are made from solid wood,like furniture! check it out !!!
    Last edited by drummer; 04-18-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: commercial website
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Default Re: lignum custom drums

You may have something there, DF...I did a Google and read about these drums.
    I will keep eyes open as I knew they're not available in my area.

User Info Menu

They are made in much the same way as early wood barrels. The wood is glued in incremental angles diagonally to form a circle and clamped and then when the glue is fully dried, the shell is turned on a lathe to form a perfect circle both from the inner and outer shell. I have never played one but have read that they can sound spectacular. I have seen some absolutely beautiful drums made that way however.

User Info Menu

i found the website the other day while i was looking for maple hoops. they have SOLID maple hoops!!! not hoops made from plies.i wish i could get them here.they are a bit pricey though $427 in dollars!!!!
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Those are not stave shells they would be steam bent solid shells, similar sound and no glue accept at an angle called a scarf joint where the ends are cut on an angle and (mitered) and glued together where they meet. It is a tough process to do correctly.