Thread: stave drum???

User Info Menu

Default stave drum???

Another recent thread about a custom stave drum company has me wondering if anyone here owns or has played a stave construction drum. If so please comment.

this is a beautiful example of a stave drm!
    Last edited by cdaug; 04-18-2008 at 03:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: stave drum???

HOLA como estas CDAUG *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) It seems Very well MADE ,I am going to see IF one of My DRUM CONNECTIONS has ONE so I can Play it ,,GRACIAS **
    I didn't see THEM at the NAMM ,BUT then THEIR is SO MUCH going on THEIR *
    as you KNOW ,,,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    Another recent thread about a custom stave drum company has me wondering if anyone here owns or has played a stave construction drum. If so please comment.

this is a beautiful example of a stave drm!
    As i referred to in the other thread stave made drums can be simply beautiful to look at, as the picture attests. That drum is so thick though that I would imagine that very little shell resonance plays a part in the sound of the drum. I bet it will crack though.

User Info Menu

I don't know anything about these but, it sure looks beautiful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    As i referred to in the other thread stave made drums can be simply beautiful to look at, as the picture attests. That drum is so thick though that I would imagine that very little shell resonance plays a part in the sound of the drum. I bet it will crack though.
    This one was interesting because of the thickness...however most that I'm seeing look to be about an 1/2" thick. Your right B2D the thicker drums make up in volume and projection what the lack in resonance.

I'm interested in hearing comments on any stave construted drm that anyone has played. Does the lack of glue make an audible difference to the ear? The theory seems sound but does it hold water?

User Info Menu

Cdaug, the stave drum has glue, but it is running vertically as opposed to horizontally between plys, The true steam bent shells are the ones with the least glue, they are only glued at one scarf joint where the two ends meet. It would be fun to put all three types together and do side by side comparison.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 04-19-2008 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

that is awesome

User Info Menu

That looks so beautiful, i wish i could get one somehow.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

My friend owns Stool Pigeon Custom Drums, and he builds stave drums using the exact same companies shells that the picture uses. I played one yesterday in his shop for a few minutes, and the sound was awesome. He told me that the contruction has its ups and downs, but overall they are better drums in his opinion.
    Last edited by drummer; 04-24-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: No commercial links

User Info Menu

Cool Re: stave drum???

Hey, cdaug, I almost thought it was a new kind of bongo drum at first ! (Yeah, you know how my mind works! )

Truth is, stave drums would be assembled in much the same way as the first bongos and congas, with alternating staves of wood like that shown in your photo...would love to play that one myself, man...bet it would sound different than a traditional wood or metal snare or tom!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ldb;80810]My friend owns Stool Pigeon Custom Drums, and he builds stave drums using the exact same companies shells that the picture uses. I played one yesterday in his shop for a few minutes, and the sound was awesome. He told me that the contruction has its ups and downs, but overall they are better drums in his opinion.

interested in the details of the "ups & downs". would guess that they could be prone to cracking or splitting over time. would you care to ask him next time you see him?
    Last edited by drummer; 04-24-2008 at 06:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't know much about them but a guy that drives the same kind of truck as me does. There's a lot of neat info on his site if you want to look through it...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I have a curly maple/walnut snare from Wittman Stave Drums. It's a beautiful snare and really cuts through with lots of body and a good 'crack'. In general, I think since there is much less glue used and the drum is much closer to being a 'solid wood' drum than a ply drum is, that it has a truer sound for whatever type of wood you are using. I have played some other stave snares and a kit from Wittman as well, and you just can't tune them to sound bad. All the overtones are pleasant, regardless of how you tune them. Stave drums are also LOUD!! Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

I've got a Brady Jarrah Block (stave) snare drum:

User Info Menu

^^Wow!! A work of art!!