Thread: thinking about building my own drum set

User Info Menu

Default thinking about building my own drum set

okay so my ddrum set is not working i constantly tune it and the sound keeps getting worse and worse so i am thinking about selling it starting from scratch and making my own drumset the reason why i want to build my own drumset is when i grow up i want to be a custom drum builder so i just wanted to know what you guys thought about that and any ideas on where i could get the parts (im getting the shells from keller shells)

User Info Menu

Default Re: thinking about building my own drum set

Roachmon, I think it would be an excellent way to begin following your dream. As to the ddrum kit, have someone else tune it for you too. Sometimes frustration can become a part of the equation, so just give someone else with experience a chance to tune it. As I recall, it's still pretty new, right? If so, you might be able make a claim of defective workmanship if that is the case, and get a kit without defect. If you need to sell it in order to follow your dream, then that is a different story. I don't know much about building drums, but if you really have a dream to build custom drums, you might want to find someone who makes drums and learn all that you can about the details.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Precision drum parts will have everything you need and will even cut your bearing edges for you just go to www.precisiondrum.com and they can get you started.

User Info Menu

well my drum teacher ounce bought a cheap no name kit and redid the bearing edges re finished the kit and basicaly refurbished the entire kit and said in the end it compared to his top of the line preimer kit so i might ask if he can help me

User Info Menu

It would be a good idea to have help at first until you get the idea of what you are doing. It isn't really rocket science but there are defiantly tricks to make the work easier and more professional looking and to make the kit sound its best.

User Info Menu

Now that sounds like a great drum teacher! Sounds like everything is in place for a great outcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Roach, how long have you been playing and what would you say your experience with tuning is like?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Custom drum builder would be a pretty cool job to have ,Im just not sure how good it pays .

Im over 40 and still dont know what I want to do when I grow up .

Good luck .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Custom drum builder would be a pretty cool job to have ,Im just not sure how good it pays .

Im over 40 and still dont know what I want to do when I grow up .

Good luck .
    with all of the competition out there I would think that would be a pretty tough way to make a living too! I would thing it would be difficult to by parts cheap enough to make a profit. Let alone all of the other expenses with running a business. I think that you have to do it for the love of building drum rather than profit. Same goes with playing the drums for a living!

User Info Menu

i have no suggestions, but i think thats freaking awsome!!
    (use pearl hardware)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Roach, how long have you been playing and what would you say your experience with tuning is like?
    i have been playing and tunig for over two years

User Info Menu

I believe 8 lug drums are a sign of quality drums? Try budgeting for that?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

such a cool idea

User Info Menu

I think that's a great idea but........
    i think you can do it when you have a kit that you can play.If you sell your kit and the the kit you want to do is not so good...
    You sould do it later better.
    Just love the drums and they will love you too!!!