Thread: Replacing bongo heads

User Info Menu

Default Replacing bongo heads

I have tis old set of bongos. It was given to me from a drummer back in 98. He took his own life a few years later. I've kept these, beat up and even cracked bongos since he gave them to me. I want to replace the heads. The skins measure 6" and 7 1/2" across the top. Is that the correct measurement? Or do I measure from the ring, which is 7" and 8 1/4". I believe I saw replacement heads measured 7",& 1/2", and 8". I can't remember if they sold them smaller. I need to go back and check. Can someone tell me the proper way to measure these?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Replacing bongo heads

BLD, the guys that I can think of that will be of most help are Bongobro, and 1Drumbum. There may be others that can help too, but I am sure one of these guys will be around soon.

BTW, that's a touching reason for hanging onto the bongos.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah, he was a quiet, peaceful guy. So quiet, that we never knew he was so depressed. I figure I could give them a new set of skins. I rarely play on them, but I do keep them in view.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Replacing bongo heads

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I have tis old set of bongos. It was given to me from a drummer back in 98. He took his own life a few years later. I've kept these, beat up and even cracked bongos since he gave them to me. I want to replace the heads. The skins measure 6" and 7 1/2" across the top. Is that the correct measurement? Or do I measure from the ring, which is 7" and 8 1/4". I believe I saw replacement heads measured 7",& 1/2", and 8". I can't remember if they sold them smaller. I need to go back and check. Can someone tell me the proper way to measure these?

Thanks!
    Well, bassist, I see PB has given me an assignment! First, I'm sorry to hear about your drumming buddy; that was a real tragedy, from what you told us. It would be a real tribute if you can replace the heads and then play his bongos as part of your percussion arsenal...'cause I'm sure you'll think of him every time you play them.

First question I have to ask is whether you have tunable heads (as most bongos have nowadays) or the old-fashioned tacked-on heads (which are used on cheap bongos, particularly those no-name bongos you'd find at a toy store or as a "souvenir of (fill-in-the-blank-Latin-American country.)" If they're tacked on, you'll have to find skins to tack on yourself (check DrumBum) or google "bongo heads" and you'll find plenty of sources).

I measured the heads on my Meinl bongos before I started my message. The macho, or small head, has a playing surface of 7"; the hembra, or large head, has a playing surface of 8". But, as you've already discovered, the head, including the hoop and rim, is actually 3/4" to 1" wider where it joins the drum shell.

For simplicity, however, LP, Meinl and virtually all bongo and conga manufacturers use the playing surface measurement. Measure them yourself at the playing surface, then visit a drum shop and have someone measure it for you again. Once you have the measurements, make a note of that for future replacements.

Even so, ordering a head can be tricky; if your buddy's bongos are an older model, it's possible it may be an unusual size that's no longer in production (as I discovered with my black CP quinto--see "It Finally Happened" thread in PERCUSSION forum). Skins vary even among the same size because of their thickness, the way they're cut, and how they're put together. I thought we had a replacement for the quinto with a head from a Synergy conga...but the cuff was too thick for the LP comfort-curve rim. I got another Synergy head, but it had a flat spot on one part of the cuff and again, it wouldn't fit. I am in the process of ordering a skin to be custom fitted onto the old CP, since it turns out it's a 9 5/8" head that is no longer listed in their parts list.

Once you get the measurements, you should be able to find a head that will work...whether it be real skin, Nuskyn, Fiberskyn or one of the other alternatives...

Good luck, bro', and play those bongos proudly!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO eStas BASSIST LEARNING DRUMS CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIS BASSIST & DRUMMER (CAT) THIS IS WHAT I Replied For BONGO GRO (DRAGON) **
    HOLA como estas BongoBro*ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (DRAGON)* THE heads*(SKINS) that I use are PIG (SKINS)-hides/sometimes/cow-hide.&BORE -Skins..JUST like all Leather each has its OWN DISTINCT UNIQUE TEXTURES of Weights Gages of THICKNESS*& JUST
    like LEATHER you NEED TO OIL your HEADS (SKINS) BY (HAND) & really Rub deep within the SKINS (WORK-IT-IN) useing Mink oil,OLive-oil.MINERAL oils.
    THIS WORKS AMAZINGLY GREAT ,I use these oils ON ALL my HAND TAMBORES ,
    & ALL MY LEATHERS *EVERY THING MADE FROM LEATHER**& you can just Buy the SKINS & LEARN HOW too SHAPE them ITS ALOT less Money ,But then you REALLY LEARN A GREAT ART*FORM* within Your OWN ARTISTRY ,I have done this TECHNIQUE **MANY TIMES *its HARD work but the FEELING IS FANTASTIC.JUST soak the SKINS IN Boiling HOT WATER so the SKINS Are plyable as you SHAPE it within the RIM*SIZE IT *ITS takes A while to get the FEEL of this BY HAND TECHNIQUE**BUT Your A CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER *so No PROBLEM*DRAOON* GRACIAS *WORK ever works for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER IS ALL GREAT**

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input BongoBro and SWD! They are tunable I enclosed a couple of pics. I have no idea who made them. Enclosed is what I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Oh, Check out the crack in this...............
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Bassist, you should have little trouble finding bongo heads ... I'm not sure what to do about the crack in the shell...but I'm sure someone who knows about working with wooden shells may have an answer...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I think I will leave the crack in it, unless you think it will get worse. I thought maybe some wood glue, but I don't think it would be the answer. Anyways, in time I will get new heads. I will probably mount them on my kit. Do you know about hitting them with sticks? Good/bad idea. I may just keep them on my cd shelf, where I can use them at will. I usually bring them to campfire events, since I don't have an acoustic bass. Usually everyone plays guitar, and one drummer. I bring stuff like Cabasa and claves, along with my 6 string acoustic. I LOVE those jams!

User Info Menu

Personally, I don't like playing hand drums with sticks or mallets. Some people do, and (in some cases), playing bongos and congas with soft mallets would work quite nicely, but to me, playing hand drums with sticks makes them sound too harsh and annoying... Again, this is a personal opinion only...

In the case of your buddy's bongos, I wonder if playing them with mallets, particularly in a band setting, could increase the stress on the crack...

Truth is, replacing the heads and using them for weekend jams and other fun things may be the best way to honor his memory...hope it works for you, bassist...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Thanks for the input BongoBro and SWD! They are tunable I enclosed a couple of pics. I have no idea who made them. Enclosed is what I have.
    HOLA como estas BASSIST LEARNING DRUMS CREATIVE ARTISTIC BASSIST DRUMMER (CAT) ANY time DE NADA & you can always
    ASK **GRACIAS'

User Info Menu

you will need to reglue that crack if not done already.....get a carpenter's glue such as elmers.......get a liberal amount into the crack and maybe use a toothpick to "shmeer" it in good.....take some waxed paper to put on the glued area......take some yellow nylon rope and a piece of , say 1" X 1" by 12" long piece of wood (handle) and make a tournique......when twisted tight enough, not too tight as to dent the wood with the rope,....secure the wooden "handle" some how until the glue is dry........may want 2 touniques, top and bottom......if I am not mistaken, those heads are much like regular drum heada and have a built in ring.....excelssglue inside i wouldn't worry about, and any glue on the outside, remove with a damp cloth after a "trial" squeeze to work the glue in, and any excess later should gently scrape off the finished outside.
    cheers
    Gerry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    you will need to reglue that crack if not done already.....get a carpenter's glue such as elmers.......get a liberal amount into the crack and maybe use a toothpick to "shmeer" it in good.....take some waxed paper to put on the glued area......take some yellow nylon rope and a piece of , say 1" X 1" by 12" long piece of wood (handle) and make a tournique......when twisted tight enough, not too tight as to dent the wood with the rope,....secure the wooden "handle" some how until the glue is dry........may want 2 touniques, top and bottom......if I am not mistaken, those heads are much like regular drum heada and have a built in ring.....excelssglue inside i wouldn't worry about, and any glue on the outside, remove with a damp cloth after a "trial" squeeze to work the glue in, and any excess later should gently scrape off the finished outside.
    cheers
    Gerry
    Thanks for the tip. I dusted them off today!

User Info Menu

my friend has these bongos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    my friend has these bongos.
    Any knowledge about them???

User Info Menu

Glad you're getting more help on gettin' those bongos back into shape. At least you have the wood shells, which would, IMHO, stand up to the tourniquets Gerry (Riff Wrath) suggests. Fiberglass bongos...hoo boy...I had a cheap pair of fiberglass bongos years ago on which I tightened one head too much and broke the bearing edge instead of the head! I had a friend who tried fixing it with auto body repair filler but they were never the same afterwards...

keep us posted, man...

Charlie

User Info Menu

It's one of many "to do" things. I also have a 6 string fretless that I want to replace the pickups. I will update when I can........ until then.......