Thread: Drum Heads: what to do?

User Info Menu

Default Drum Heads: what to do?

I love playing the drums but am somewhat disheartened by the fact that drum heads are not recycled. I emailed one of the major manufacturers to pose the question and was told that they have not developed a program to do so. I imagine it's the same with the other major manufacturers as well. Now, I'm not certain whether this means that they are considering one but haven't yet begun it, or they just aren't doing it at all. I think it is something to strive for, especially given that other industries are trying to "go green". I'm passionate about playing but I also am passionate about conservation. In the meantime, does anyone know what reuses there are for worn out heads?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Heads: what to do?

no answers here. I have several that are still "ok" but went to all Remo's.I had 2 chrome rings off a pos set that I bolted together with the cleanest head that fit and wrote "riff wrath" on it with silver paint pen. looks kinda neat on the shopwall. maybe if you can find the exact construction material, for example acrylic plastic??? then we could ask the recyclers. most plastics, in Canada, have some sort of mould mark that tells you in the item is recyclable.
    Gerry

User Info Menu

I heard someone used an old head to make straps for the snares. Just cut it to the correct thickness and length. Not sure on durability but it sounds good.

Another drummer I know takes an old snare head (or bigger, I'm guessing) and turns it over and lays it in an extra snare stand and you have an instant table.

A 3rd option might be to find a barren clock movement and install it on an old drum head for a cool clock.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other ideas. I usually steal mine.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

As far as I know aside from home recylcing and things that would be handy for you, drum heads can't be recycled because of the contents within them such as mylar or other materials.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Frisbies, targets for your paintball gun, paint faces on them and hang them on trees to keep trespassers away.......oh, I got a million ideas!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

You could pull the plastic heads out of the aluminum ring, recycle the plastic and take the aluminum to a scrap yard. It wouldn't be much, but you might have enough to buy a soda if you've got a big enough kit.

I once cut one up to make a flappy door for the cats' litter box because the old one (RIP) used to think it was funny to aim out the opening.

Norske keep the ideas coming!!! I might use some of them in the future.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47