Thread: 40 year old snare drums

User Info Menu

Default 40 year old snare drums

I was at a guitar center down in concord the other day and they had a $600 snare on display, so I asked the closest drum guru why that snare was worth $600 he told me that it was 1 of 300 snare drums made 40 years ago that were found in perfect condition in some factory. So I have been wondering, does being 40 years old make the drum sound better or was it so expensive because of the fact that it is so rare?

User Info Menu

Default Re: 40 year old snare drums

It's the rarity of the item in most cases that makes it so valuable. Ultimately the value is subjective.

User Info Menu

There are custom drums out there that go for large $$$ but as drummer said the value is subjective. I believe the value of a drum really depends on the person who is purchasing....is it worth the asking price to you?

User Info Menu

It's the rarity of the item in most cases that makes it so valuable. Ultimately the value is subjective.
    True...Value is subjective...
    But It's like painting, rarity made it expensive...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

If guitar center values it at $600 it probably worth $400.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

You didn't say what the brand or model of snare drum it is...I have seen some early 1960's pre-serial number brass supraphonics sold for $600 and more. Not many were made before Ludwig changed to composition of the shell to their Ludalloy formula. Early 1960's Rogers all maple Dynasonic snares in mint condition today are selling for $2500 and more. Again, not many of them were made before Rogers switched to COB to compete with Ludwig. So, here we have the combination of vintage quality and rarity making these drums as expensive as they are. It is not necessarily true that a 40 year old drum sounds better but, for the most part, there was a great deal of quality that was considered as standard back then.

User Info Menu

i wouldnt mind a supra

ThePloughman Guest

From 1961-1973, aprox. 3000, Wood Dynasonics were produced. Aprox. 55 thousand COB Dynasonics were produced. 6.5 x14 tends to be the most rare in any color.
    From 1981-84, The last production year, Rogers produced Dynasonics and Supertens in 5x, 6.5x, 8x 14. Probably less than 50 5x14 maple drums were built. Perhaps a thousand in the 6.5x14. And maybe that many 8x14 drums. The actual numbers are unknown. I would gladly pay 600 bucks for a 5x14 Natural maple 1981-84 Dynasonic. I would buy two at that price, any day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    From 1961-1973, aprox. 3000, Wood Dynasonics were produced. Aprox. 55 thousand COB Dynasonics were produced. 6.5 x14 tends to be the most rare in any color.
    From 1981-84, The last production year, Rogers produced Dynasonics and Supertens in 5x, 6.5x, 8x 14. Probably less than 50 5x14 maple drums were built. Perhaps a thousand in the 6.5x14. And maybe that many 8x14 drums. The actual numbers are unknown. I would gladly pay 600 bucks for a 5x14 Natural maple 1981-84 Dynasonic. I would buy two at that price, any day.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS PLOUGHMAN CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) GRACIAS for THE FACTS *

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    You didn't say what the brand or model of snare drum it is...I have seen some early 1960's pre-serial number brass supraphonics sold for $600 and more. Not many were made before Ludwig changed to composition of the shell to their Ludalloy formula. Early 1960's Rogers all maple Dynasonic snares in mint condition today are selling for $2500 and more. Again, not many of them were made before Rogers switched to COB to compete with Ludwig. So, here we have the combination of vintage quality and rarity making these drums as expensive as they are. It is not necessarily true that a 40 year old drum sounds better but, for the most part, there was a great deal of quality that was considered as standard back then.
    HOLA como estas FIACOVAZ (FRANK) CRETIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) EXCELLENT INFO * GRACIAS

User Info Menu

My Ludwig I use is from 1967 and sounds just perfect , even after 40 years of pounding on it . ................worth every penny to me .

User Info Menu

its expensive b/c you can't get a snare like that anymore