Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nice. tabla

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: nice. tabla

Nice. Can we make this a tabla thread?
    Karsh Kale.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPke8J-LCRM
    He's also a really good drumset player BTW.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: nice. tabla

Seems to me you dudes have!

As one of the few hand drums I haven't studied, much less played, I'd like to at least learn a little about playin' tablas...Goldberg and Kahn are cookin' in that vid!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

HOLAMO ESTAS RATMYCUE*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT) GREAT VIDEO RATMYCUE * EXCELLENT ARTISTRY**
    GRACIASAS I LOVE PLAYING THE TABLA TAMBORES(MANOS &DEDO*TAMBORES)(HAND &FINGER DRUMS)
    GRACIAS
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 04-23-2008 at 04:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

As one of the few hand drums I haven't studied, much less played, I'd like to at least learn a little about playin' tablas...Goldberg and Kahn are cookin' in that vid!
    lesson #1 BB, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh3DjTbhb6o

User Info Menu

Bro, it is one of the hardest instruments in the world to master. I have a pretty nice set and gave it a go about 10 years ago before giving up. It really is almost impossible to play tablas casually, you have to have a LOT of time to get even halfway decent.
    If you have a lot of time on your hands, I say go for it!!!

Here's some inspiration: Zakir Hussain on tabla, Karsh Kale on drums playing with Bill Laswell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ium...eature=related

User Info Menu

very very, nice stuff. peachy in fact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    Bro, it is one of the hardest instruments in the world to master. I have a pretty nice set and gave it a go about 10 years ago before giving up. It really is almost impossible to play tablas casually, you have to have a LOT of time to get even halfway decent.
    If you have a lot of time on your hands, I say go for it!!!

Here's some inspiration: Zakir Hussain on tabla, Karsh Kale on drums playing with Bill Laswell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ium...eature=related
    Subscribed to the tabla lessons (there are four of them)...wonder if I can do them on bongos until such time as I can find tablas in my area? Thanks, peach!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Subscribed to the tabla lessons (there are four of them)...wonder if I can do them on bongos until such time as I can find tablas in my area? Thanks, peach!
    Lark in the Morning carries every obscure instrument in the world it seems

BTW, I probably wouldn't bother trying on bongos; the first few months you will be trying to make a few particular sounds which you can only make on a tabla. Part of the difficulty is that some of the sounds are actually harmonics made by striking a very specific part of the head while partially muting another specific part of the head...
    Last edited by drummer; 10-26-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: commercial link / selling

User Info Menu

just watched the vid and man those guys are good

User Info Menu

Lark in the Morning carries every obscure instrument in the world it seem

BTW, I probably wouldn't bother trying on bongos; the first few months you will be trying to make a few particular sounds which you can only make on a tabla. Part of the difficulty is that some of the sounds are actually harmonics made by striking a very specific part of the head while partially muting another specific part of the head...
    thanks for the heads-up, pun intended...will check around locally (near St. Louis), but may be gettin' back to you...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Peach, sorry man, just out of interest, ever YouTubed The Trey Gunn Band? I freaking love how Bob Muller switches from tabla to kit to dumbek.....he makes the pretty difficult seem damn easy.And you're right....Karsh Kale is awesome together with Zakir. It's a whole different world of players when it comes to Indian tabla.....I'm just gonna enjoy watching LOL

User Info Menu

I inquired about tablas at the local drum store. The owner said you can't get a decent set for less than a grand so he doesn't carry them except special order. They are very difficult to play correctly. I took one lesson years ago. I really enjoyed seeing that video on tabla playing.

User Info Menu

I thought it was DeJa Vu; then I saw the date of the thread. Brilliant

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Peach, sorry man, just out of interest, ever YouTubed The Trey Gunn Band? I freaking love how Bob Muller switches from tabla to kit to dumbek.....he makes the pretty difficult seem damn easy.And you're right....Karsh Kale is awesome together with Zakir. It's a whole different world of players when it comes to Indian tabla.....I'm just gonna enjoy watching LOL
    Wow, I hadn't checked them out before but it is killer stuff!!!
    Digging on this one right now:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DiLpG-O6As"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DiLpG-O6As[/ame] (totally builds off an old King Crimson song)!

I saw Trey Gunn with King Crimson years ago when they had the 'double-trio' lineup going, but haven't really checked out any of his solo stuff. Awesome, thanks for turning me on to it!
    (and thanks for resurrecting this old thread & dragging my butt back onto DC! )

User Info Menu

Wow...just had to chime in on the Tabla...Wow..again..this looks interesting and I may...I say May look into this drum..BUT! and there is always a But...who might carry these in Phoenix...anyone?? ty
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Wow, I hadn't checked them out before but it is killer stuff!!!
    Digging on this one right now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DiLpG-O6As (totally builds off an old King Crimson song)!

I saw Trey Gunn with King Crimson years ago when they had the 'double-trio' lineup going, but haven't really checked out any of his solo stuff. Awesome, thanks for turning me on to it!
    (and thanks for resurrecting this old thread & dragging my butt back onto DC! )
    Sorry for replying late to you Peachy....many things to do...not enough hours to do them in...lol. Yeah, a friend of mine Stuart and myself, we've a nice lil clique of friends over here in Sydney that dig into music like Trey, Fripp, John Zorn etc. But we all have broad tastes....hell, I've played ska, blues, country, Latin, noise-punk to start off with .... yeah, it's funny how you get people digging into Tool but have never been into King Crimson's music.
    Anyway, were you shown any of the simple "bhangra-type" village rhythms on tabla? I've been faking that for a little while on this Roland SPD-20 after fiddling around with the sensitivity and other parameters on the tabla patch (after "re-organising" the randomised sounds so that the first four pads on the left of the unit's surface plays the lower drum (banya?) sounds, including the "bend" note, whilst the other pads on the right play the charcteristic "bell" sound and a few of the muted sounds common on the dayan or higher pitched drum)

Well, some players I try to listen to as much as I can....obviously Zakir Hussain and Trilok Gurtu, also Karsh Kale....but others that some may or may not have heard of are (and these are not only Indian, but some are Westerners too)...Pandit Dinesh, Inder 'Goldfinger' Matharu, Bobby Singh (who's here in Sydney), Bob Muller whom I mentioned earlier, Trichy Sankaran, Colin Walcott (who was in a 70's group called Oregon), Talvin Singh, Sri Peter Lockett, even Steve Jansen (ex-Japan) is an ok tabla player. Danny Carey too, who I'd have to add, seeing that he's taken the time to study with Aloke Dutta, yet another tabla master.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 12-05-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Oh, and don't overlook other Indian drums too

the dhol
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmTFXzkD32s"]YouTube - dhol freestyle[/ame]

The Dhol Foundation, led by Johnny Kalsi from UK
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tuvgG-R3Y"]YouTube - After the Rain Video - The Dhol Foundation[/ame]

the kanjira
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPPBoei6oCs"]YouTube - Kanjira Solo with Ganesh Kumar[/ame]

User Info Menu

Trichy Sankaran, with the mrdangam (South Indian drum)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkCsazqZfTQ"]YouTube - Carnatic - Part 2 - Trichy Shri Sankaran - Solo Percussion Lecture-Demonstration - Mridangam[/ame]

And although not strictly a drum as such, nevertheless an important South Indian percussion instrument, the ghatam
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI3qVBkYWec"]YouTube - Ghatam Suresh solo in a rhythmscape concert[/ame]

Thanks for hearing me out, guys....hope these all help!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 12-05-2010 at 07:38 AM.

User Info Menu

these are really cool!
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phyNFe5R-pk&playnext=1&list=PL0D515DECDFBC2530&index=2"]YouTube - George Brooks Summit with Zakir Hussain SJ Jazz Festival T3b Mad Tea Time[/ame]
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Trying to figure out what that drum Zakir has on his right (doesn't look like a dayan....any idea?) Camera action though....lol....was getting motion sickness after a while!

User Info Menu

For what its worth,The Owner of our local drum store said that the reason he doesn't carry Tablas is because "You can't get a decent set for less than a thousand dollars"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    For what its worth,The Owner of our local drum store said that the reason he doesn't carry Tablas is because "You can't get a decent set for less than a thousand dollars"
    They can be pricey, but $1000?? Are we talking US$1000, or AUS$1000? Man, even the most ripped-off price I ever seen was at least AUS$600! No way....importers no matter which country they're coming from, pay a pittance for some instruments in India before getting them back and flogging them off at ridiculous prices. Tell them to go to hell, I'd say, you can always get a better bargain elsewhere....a friend of mine who studied sitar for a while over here claims that his teacher got it for less than half the price than if my mate went through the usual retailers, so I'm waiting for one of my students who has his connections in the Indian community to let me know how much I could get a set a tablas...they'd have a fit seeing people paying $600 or more!

Three really important things are that the larger metal drum should be brass/chromed brass (or if you can get it, copper), the smaller drum should be made of a type of wood the Indians call shisham wood, and thirdly that the cords going from the head to the tuning pegs around the shell should be out of rawhide.....some guys try to manufacture them with leather straps....forget it....leather stretches and detunes, rawhide won't, according to what I've been told.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Sorry for replying late to you Peachy....many things to do...not enough hours to do them in...lol. Yeah, a friend of mine Stuart and myself, we've a nice lil clique of friends over here in Sydney that dig into music like Trey, Fripp, John Zorn etc. But we all have broad tastes....hell, I've played ska, blues, country, Latin, noise-punk to start off with .... yeah, it's funny how you get people digging into Tool but have never been into King Crimson's music.
    Anyway, were you shown any of the simple "bhangra-type" village rhythms on tabla? I've been faking that for a little while on this Roland SPD-20 after fiddling around with the sensitivity and other parameters on the tabla patch (after "re-organising" the randomised sounds so that the first four pads on the left of the unit's surface plays the lower drum (banya?) sounds, including the "bend" note, whilst the other pads on the right play the charcteristic "bell" sound and a few of the muted sounds common on the dayan or higher pitched drum)
    Sounds like me & my friends: broad taste, but has to be quality music no matter what genre!
    The SPD-20 thing sounds like a killer idea! I also have the SPD-20 and haven't messed with it much in the last couple of years, since the last band I played in... I'll have to try that!
    (I've actually been spending most of my musical time attempting to learn some guitar for the last year).