Thread: What Crash Should I Get?

User Info Menu

Default What Crash Should I Get?

i'm getting my first drum set this weekend and i have already bought some of my cymbals i have 14 in zildjian quick beats, a 20in meinl mb10 medium ride (which i might just use as my main crash in which case i would use an old 22 inch zildjian avedis ride as my ride) and a zxt 8in titanium splash. What crash should i get for my left crash i want something that will match what i have, not particularly too high pitched and anything up to $250. The music store i'm going to carries zildjian, sabian, and paiste. I plan on being there for a while trying out as much as i can but what cymbals should i look into first.

thanks a lot

~logan~

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Crash Should I Get?

Get the round one!

Just kidding. lol
    Take your existing crash with you to the drum shop (hopefully they have a cymbal room). Put your crash on a stand and compare the other cymbals to that one. Find one that compliments it in sound, sustain, slightly different in pitch, etc. You'll know when it's right. Trust your intuition.

Don't forget, they'll need more sustain on the bandstand then in a quiet room. Drummers often buy them based off of the way they sound in the store but they forget that on the stage, they'll be blended in with all the music and volume.

Welcome to our forum!

User Info Menu

try out the paiste 2002 or signatures! (or zildjian A or sabian AAX if you dont want Paiste). just try all of them and see what you like. and welcome to drumchat!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Paiste 2002 to a smaller Signature model.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

your looking to break that mb10 using it as a crash. but if you like zil. crashes the a customs are great for rock, metal or just about anything amplified.

User Info Menu

is that mb10 really going to break that easily. it has a one year warranty and as long as i hit the sticks right it should be fine

User Info Menu

go with just a plain zildjian a custom crash. maybe a 19 or 20 inch

User Info Menu

Dyed-in-the-wool Paiste guy here myself, but I think drummer's advice is excellent!

And if you can bring someone along with you (or ask someone at the drum shop), it's really nice if you can stand back and have someone else hit the cymbals so that you get a good impression of how they will project.

Everything sounds different behind a kit as opposed to what projects out to an audience.

User Info Menu

Good advice on bringing your other crash and bringing a friend with you. It will make your decision alot easier. Going by on what your looking for and your budget; I'll make a second recommendation for the Zildjian A Custom, 17,18 or 19 inch. Not too high pitched as you described. Check out the K's and K Customs also, if they fit in your budget. And if you don't mind to splurge even more, Paiste Signatures are some of the finest crashes I heard. Good luck with your search.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Well...
    They have answered your question...

With 250$, I bet you can grab some high-end Cymbals....
    And you can't go wrong with Zildjian A Custom or Z custom....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

As you havent stated what music ur into
    I would say paiste 2002,because they can be utilised in pretty much any genre of music(and i love paiste so ofc id suggest them)

Fox
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

Cymbals:paiste 101 14" hats,16" crash and 20" ride.Paiste 2002 18" medium crash

DW7000 double pedal

Favourite drummer: Chris Adler http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHl4I5E78Wg

Favourite band: Lamb of God

Favourite song: Now youve got something to die for- Lamb of god.

User Info Menu

I would go online to massmusic.net and get a paiste signature series. I've never seen enyone beat their prices. If they don't have the prices listed just email them to send you their pricing link.

User Info Menu

I would also suggest trying something in the A custom style . I added a 15" A custom crash a couple months ago and love the sound . Good luck and welcome to the board .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lcpowell0731 View Post
    is that mb10 really going to break that easily. it has a one year warranty and as long as i hit the sticks right it should be fine
    very possibly if hit in typical crash style. if you have nice touch, maybe not. but rides are thick and do not vibrate as freely as a typical crash, wich results in premature fatigue and breakage. (very common in thick unlathed crashes such as Z customs and paist rudes).

User Info Menu

A customsa are great crashes, i have 14 fast crash. K customs are also great along with AAXplsoions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Get the round one!

Just kidding. lol
    Take your existing crash with you to the drum shop (hopefully they have a cymbal room). Put your crash on a stand and compare the other cymbals to that one. Find one that compliments it in sound, sustain, slightly different in pitch, etc. You'll know when it's right. Trust your intuition.

Don't forget, they'll need more sustain on the bandstand then in a quiet room. Drummers often buy them based off of the way they sound in the store but they forget that on the stage, they'll be blended in with all the music and volume.

Welcome to our forum!
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DRUMMER(TOM) CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) GREAT ADVICE *Love it GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    your looking to break that mb10 using it as a crash. but if you like zil. crashes the a customs are great for rock, metal or just about anything amplified.
    HOLA como estas FUNKYMCSTAIN *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) THATS A FACT EXCELLENT ADVICE**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

i went with a sabian aax metal 19in crash it sounds really good with the meinl and the store gave it to me for $200

User Info Menu

Cool lc !!!
    Honestly I haven't heard much bout the AAX lines....
    But if you think it suitable with your ears...You must be satisfied mate...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX