Thread: Just ordered a DW 9002 dbl pedal

User Info Menu

Default Just ordered a DW 9002 dbl pedal

Boys- i've had the itch for a while, but last night decided i would wait no longer... so i'm upgrading my DW 7000, i ordered it today! I splurged for overnight shipping so i could have it for the long weekend (i'm off on president's day monday!!). i don't usually spend (waste) $$ on shipping like that, but sometimes you gotta say "what the fork?!"

So... who else has one? How much do you yours?

I'm sure i'll be kicking it like that dude from Slipknot by saturday

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just ordered a DW 9002 dbl pedal

Congrats on the purchase!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Got it. Love it! I upgraded from the DW 7002 to the 9002 a few years ago. Big difference.

Congrats and enjoy!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Maybe someone can help me with my beater rebound issue after i play with it for a while. Not sure if i need to cut a port in the reso, tune differently or what, but my beaters(with the 7000) bounce like a freaking basketball hit by a car against a brick wall.
    Pillow? Cloth strip ala Bonham? is it technique?
    I didn't think a new pedal was gonna cure that specifically. It drives me crazy though and b4 i start messing around, who has advice on getting the beaters to just kick once without all the extra hits? It's like a laser blast in the garbage compactor on the freaking death star!

i still AM psyched about the 9002. I know you guys can help me get it all squared away!

User Info Menu

Several factors... how tight is your batter head? I assume also your reso head is non ported? And do you mostly play heal up or heal down? Are you using the factory 7000 beaters? Felt side or plastic side?

User Info Menu

heads are loose(ish) but tuned well, heel up mostly. i;ve used both the plastic and felt sides with same result. just got the DW wood/plastic ones and i dig the tone of the wood side.
    thinking about putting port in the reso...thanks for your help broseph!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by littlestrummerBOY View Post
    heads are loose(ish) but tuned well, heel up mostly. i;ve used both the plastic and felt sides with same result. just got the DW wood/plastic ones and i dig the tone of the wood side.
    thinking about putting port in the reso...thanks for your help broseph!
    I had exactly the same problem. At the time I was using a DW5000 pedal and non-ported head on the reso. I play heel up. Like you, every time I hit the head the beater would bounce at least once, sometimes twice. No tuning or muffling would help. Tried a different pedal - no change. Changed heads to no avail. I also tried training myself to make sure that I allowed the pedal to come back from the head after the first hit, but that required holding my leg in the air instead of resting the beater against the head.

Solution? I cut a vent hole in the reso. Now there is no beater bounce. I hate the sound and the looks, but it solved the problem.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

YES! The hole fixed the problem! The sound is different, but not in a bad way IMO, not as round and bassy, but with more attack and cut- the big thing is the bounce is almost 100% gone. I am going to try a felt strip next to see if i can get rid of what little bounce is left. The 24" bass sounded like a bass guitar in my room before the hole

Now, the 9002 pedal is really awesome; feels like it's a part of the bottom of my feet! Made me a better player right away (and i'm really not very good to begin with )
    Wooden beaters sound boss!! Great action and easy to adjust/fine tune the feel.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I had exactly the same problem. At the time I was using a DW5000 pedal and non-ported head on the reso. I play heel up. Like you, every time I hit the head the beater would bounce at least once, sometimes twice. No tuning or muffling would help. Tried a different pedal - no change. Changed heads to no avail. I also tried training myself to make sure that I allowed the pedal to come back from the head after the first hit, but that required holding my leg in the air instead of resting the beater against the head.

Solution? I cut a vent hole in the reso. Now there is no beater bounce. I hate the sound and the looks, but it solved the problem.

GeeDeeEmm
    What size bass? What kind of port did you use? IS all the bounce gone or most of it?

User Info Menu

Congrats. The 9000 series is rediculous

User Info Menu

that is gorgeous!!!!! I'm so jealous

User Info Menu

I am VERY happy with mine!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.